1st RTA? Which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeB

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2011
Louisiana
I'm looking to purchase my first rta, and I could really use some advice...

Out of the gate I want to say I'm very sorry for starting a thread for this, but I have been reading threads on this subforum for three nights straight and I'm still overwhelmed. ANY help, suggestions, recommendations, opinions, etc, would be GREATLY appreciated.

What I am currently using:
I have a Provari mini loaded with IMR 18490 1100ma batteries. Currently I am vaping on Nautilus BVC coils in a Silo tank. Air wide open. I love the flavor. I love the vapor if I can run it at 9 to 9.5 watts, but chain vape and I take long drags. At 9 watts I am killing these poor coils in about a day, so I have backed off to 8 watts. At the lower wattage I just don't get the hot thick vapor I really want, but at least the taste is still fantastic.

Why an RTA?:
- My main motivator is cutting my vape budget. $2/coil isn't exorbitant, but not cheap when compared to rebuildables.
- Vapor. I want to stop settling. I want that warm thick vapor, and I don't want to have to settle for less because stock coils can't handle it.
- And I don't want a RDA because I am used to tanks and don't like the idea of dripping constantly.

WHAT I WANT IN AN RTA:
-Something I can build. I will admit, I am pretty intimidated by this part. Thread after thread seems to be a lot of focus on getting the build right. I have never touched one of these things, and don't even know where to get supplies.
-Something that can hold up to my chain vaping. I didn't realize until recently, but apparently I am pretty hard on my gear. I take long 5+ second drags, and I take back to back drags often. I burn through 10-15ml a day (probably closer to the 10 side).
-Convenience. A good size tank is preferred, I am using a Silo tank currently which I think holds 5-6ml, and I like the idea of one that I can rebuild without draining it. I also like the idea of fill holes. I used a GP SnP tank for nearly a year and it spoiled me.
-Vapor. I want thick warm vapor. I love the feel more than the "nic hit".
-Looks. I hate to admit it. I suppose I'm kinda vain, but I love to have my PV looking sleek and sexy. lol.
-Flavor. This is a given, right?

So far, it seems the Kayfun (lite, plus, etc, omg how many versions are there) is sorta a standard by which others are compared, but I realize that doesn't mean its best... much less best for me. I have also been recommend the Taifun GT. Also I have been going through the Erlkonigin thread and damn it is sexy, but the build and wicking seems to be difficult. Maybe thats because I've never done one. Also, I have no idea about materials or where to get them, but I figure I'll sort that out once I decide on a RTA.

SO.... Help? Everyone is welcome. Chime in or any or all of the above.

Tbev

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2013
SoCal-Vegas
instagram.com
For the money you can't beat a fogger v4, I run one on my dad's provari and @1. 4ohm is fantastic, you might get a bit better vapor from an orchid but your going to have to sacrifice juice capacity, as well as having a plastic tank. Either way both options are cheap, great vapes that are very reliable. My dad doesn't know how to do anything but add juice and I rewick his every 50 to 100ml. You want to run rayon, go to Sally's beauty supply, see the rayon thread and ask for a sample of it if you want. I use 30 ga kanthal for the fogger v4 on provari mini and it's bulletproof. If you have any questions see the fogger v4 threads or shoot me a PM if you go that route, if you do I recommend picking one up from eBay so you don't have to wait.

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
My favorite RTA is the Eleaf Lemo. It's a great quality, authentic atomizer, that outperforms anything else I've tried. The adjustable air flow through the Lemo is far superior to any other tank I've tried, and is capable of wide open lung hits. (if that's your thing)

But for a first RTA, I would recommend the Expromizer. Another reasonably priced authentic atomizer that has adjustable airflow and fantastic flavor that's superior to a Kayfun. It has an advantage over the Kayfun and Lemo though: You can service the wick and coil without having to empty the tank, a huge advantage for a new builder. If a mistake is made in the build or a re-wick required, liquid loss is minimal. Also, it's liquid channels are deeply cut, making wicking it pretty forgiving.

Cool-breeze

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2013
Upstate sc
As mentioned earlier a kayfun has a following but fixing the coil/wick is a pain when its full. It may not work as well for being out and about but a genesis style might suit you well at home as it has the coil above the tank it can give you a warmer vape. They can be more prone to leaking but many ppl on here use and enjoy them. Some of those ppl could better advise you on which ones work better and general tips, I am not one of those ppl. I am also a chain vaper and I have never found a tank style that can keep up with chain vaping. Im not saying it doesn't exsist but that I haven't found it. I've seen plenty of posts where ppl ignore the OP on what has been asked for and offer what they like instead. I am not trying to do that, but I recognize (or at least strongly suspect) the chain vaping is the first priority flowed closely by flavor and thick warm vapor. If those 3 are your top priorities a dripper is hard to beat. A final thought is go with 30g or 32g kanthal for your wire. With the provari's limits you'll want to build coils with slightly higher ohm than most who do rebuilding.

MikeB

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2011
Louisiana
For the money you can't beat a fogger v4, I run one on my dad's provari and @1. 4ohm is fantastic, you might get a bit better vapor from an orchid but your going to have to sacrifice juice capacity, as well as having a plastic tank. Either way both options are cheap, great vapes that are very reliable. My dad doesn't know how to do anything but add juice and I rewick his every 50 to 100ml. You want to run rayon, go to Sally's beauty supply, see the rayon thread and ask for a sample of it if you want. I use 30 ga kanthal for the fogger v4 on provari mini and it's bulletproof. If you have any questions see the fogger v4 threads or shoot me a PM if you go that route, if you do I recommend picking one up from eBay so you don't have to wait.
Awesome. Thanks for the suggestion. This is one I haven't looked into at all yet.

MikeB

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2011
Louisiana
Easy to set up and tons of vapor.

FlashEVapor v3

Built like a tank. No leaks.
Micro coil with cotton and use mesh straws for the tank-to-wick feed.

Its really a dripper with a tank feed.

Don't forget to get the 1.6mm air screw.
This one is new to me as well... I'll have to go find a thread on it.

MikeB

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2011
Louisiana
I know you've said you don't want an RDA, but dripping isn't nearly as inconvenient as it's made out to be. I find them much more convenient, flexible and low maintenance than my Kayfuns - I have two sitting around that get used less and less every week.
Hmm... I hadn't considered this. It certainly seems like it would be inconvenient, but I suppose I really have no frame of reference. The last time I "dripped" was in the old days when you were just dripping straight onto an stock atty. If any of you remember, it was drip drip drip, take a drag or two, repeat. I know these RDAs have a higher capacity, so surely its not like that, but you still must be nearly constantly dripping, right?

MikeB

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2011
Louisiana
My favorite RTA is the Eleaf Lemo. It's a great quality, authentic atomizer, that outperforms anything else I've tried. The adjustable air flow through the Lemo is far superior to any other tank I've tried, and is capable of wide open lung hits. (if that's your thing)

But for a first RTA, I would recommend the Expromizer. Another reasonably priced authentic atomizer that has adjustable airflow and fantastic flavor that's superior to a Kayfun. It has an advantage over the Kayfun and Lemo though: You can service the wick and coil without having to empty the tank, a huge advantage for a new builder. If a mistake is made in the build or a re-wick required, liquid loss is minimal. Also, it's liquid channels are deeply cut, making wicking it pretty forgiving.
I have looked at the Eleaf Lemo. It seems a lot of people really like it. Its hard to really get much from these threads I read since I just don't have a frame of reference on these though. I'll go take another look.

Now the Expromizer is new to me, but you've made a pretty good pitch for it seeing as how I'm a beginner. A good vape that I can rebuild without draining the tank, and it has good wicking? Sounds like a possible winner to me, especially since I chain vape and I'm concerned about good wicking. Thanks for the suggestion!

MikeB

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2011
Louisiana
As mentioned earlier a kayfun has a following but fixing the coil/wick is a pain when its full. It may not work as well for being out and about but a genesis style might suit you well at home as it has the coil above the tank it can give you a warmer vape. They can be more prone to leaking but many ppl on here use and enjoy them. Some of those ppl could better advise you on which ones work better and general tips, I am not one of those ppl. I am also a chain vaper and I have never found a tank style that can keep up with chain vaping. Im not saying it doesn't exsist but that I haven't found it. I've seen plenty of posts where ppl ignore the OP on what has been asked for and offer what they like instead. I am not trying to do that, but I recognize (or at least strongly suspect) the chain vaping is the first priority flowed closely by flavor and thick warm vapor. If those 3 are your top priorities a dripper is hard to beat. A final thought is go with 30g or 32g kanthal for your wire. With the provari's limits you'll want to build coils with slightly higher ohm than most who do rebuilding.
I'm starting to think a kayfun just may not be for me since I'm new to building. I remember the genesis styles from back when I used to follow all this, and they were IT, but then I came back and now no one is talking about them. It's all RTAs and RDAs. What happened there?

Yes, I am becoming very aware how my chain vapeing is actually a pretty big issue for me and my hardware. I'm trying to curb the habit, but well... its a habit. lol. You make a good point, and maybe I shouldn't rule out an RDA. I suppose that is the one set up where, I control the wicking, since I am feeding it directly. I'm guessing that would almost make my chain vaping a non-issue. I just can't see having to carry a bottle, remove the atty lid, and squirt juice in there constantly. That might be fine at home, but work? in the car? etc? I don't know. GREAT post and perspective here though! Thanks!

MikeB

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2011
Louisiana
+1 for the Tai-Fun easy to build, large tank, just coil wick and Go :)

It doesn't get any easier than the Taifun.

You don't have to dump the Taifun either. And you could probably fill it with a garden hose if you were careful :D. No needle bottles needed.

I am interested in the Taifun. It looks easy-ish to build, and it's already been recommending to me in a thread on trimming my vape budget. I started looking into it after that. I really like that I can rebuild it without draining it. Only thing is I don't understand all the different models and clones. In threads all of them get discussed and it can get pretty confusing.

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
The 2 links below are the 2 I have there both about the same the more expensive one is a little shinier thats about it
A kayfun is great but hard to get it just right a fogger and an Aqua are the same steep learning curve to get them to work just right
out of all the RTA I have tried a Tai-fun is the easiest Just coil wick and go :) the only thing I don't like is no air flow control
for me I like mouth to lung inhale like smoking and the draw on the Tai-fun is just fine

$21.36 Taifun GT Style Rebuildable Atomizer (5.0mL) at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

$19.65 Taifun GT Style Rebuildable Atomizer (5.0mL) at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

I am interested in the Taifun. It looks easy-ish to build, and it's already been recommending to me in a thread on trimming my vape budget. I started looking into it after that. I really like that I can rebuild it without draining it. Only thing is I don't understand all the different models and clones. In threads all of them get discussed and it can get pretty confusing.

MikeB

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2011
Louisiana
The 2 links below are the 2 I have there both about the same the more expensive one is a little shinier thats about it
A kayfun is great but hard to get it just right a fogger and an Aqua are the same steep learning curve to get them to work just right
out of all the RTA I have tried a Tai-fun is the easiest Just coil wick and go :) the only thing I don't like is no air flow control
for me I like mouth to lung inhale like smoking and the draw on the Tai-fun is just fine

$21.36 Taifun GT Style Rebuildable Atomizer (5.0mL) at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

$19.65 Taifun GT Style Rebuildable Atomizer (5.0mL) at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
Great!!! Thanks for the info, opinion, and links!

Anyone disagree, or have a counter opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread