22gauge kanthal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revelene

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2013
Kentucky, USA
22 gauge? Wow.

If you want "clouds" just get 28 gauge and build dual coils (twice the coil, twice the vapor). With 28 gauge you can easily go pretty low in ohms with a dual coil. I run a dual micro coil around 0.4 ohms for my daily vape and it kicks vapor like crazy.

But... the build of the coil is only a small part of creating clouds...

1. Air Flow

You need plenty of it. I run with dual air holes drilled out to 5/64 inch. Always position the air holes with the coils. You also want to make sure the coil is as close to the air hole as possible without touching the sides or bottom. You do not want the coil to have uneven air flow either, usually lining up coils with the air holes tend to lead to having a slightly longer positive lead. More air flow leads to a slightly cooler vape and more vapor production. Less air flow leads to a hotter vape with less vapor production.

2. Wick

You want the wick to be a good fit but not snug. You should be able to pull on the dry wick and it can easily come out. With the wick, there is a fine line between too much and too little. It may take some time but there is that sweet spot. Too little wick can cause hot spots and will just taste hot and probably burn your throat. Too much wick can cause burning as the wick will become restricted. Also, wicking is a big factor in flavor. More wicking material leads to less flavor.

3. Coil build

This is last and least important. If you fall short on the previous two... your type of coil build will not matter and you will most likely have a vape that falls short.

It's a game. You'll learn as you go. Watch some videos and read some more ECF threads. You definitely don't need 22 gauge.

Vape on! :vapor:

tabs808

Feb 2, 2014
Waipahu, HI
First of all, what batteries do you have?
Second, do you have an ohm meter?
I personally use 24g kanthal 6 wrapas or nichrome 8wraps dual coil. Always ends up at low 0.2ohms. My daily setup.
I hope youre using a high amp discharge battery...
And with that said, I dont recommend doing a doil coil with 22g kanthal.
6 to 8 wrap single coil micro on a 7/64 diameter rod or drill bit should be perfect.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
I also have 26 gauge kanthal and I just ordered 24

Why such large gauges? Perhaps the 26 will work, but the best-performing coils are between 28 and 36 ga. Larger wire is lower resistance per foot, but this does NOT correlate to more vapor. I'm concerned that you're trying to "push the envelope" without understanding what the envelope is. And as others have asked Do you own an ohmmeter? (And what is it's baseline resistance?)

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Hey guys I'm just wondering how many wraps should I do to get clouds with 22 gauge kanthal I have a build already but the clouds aren't to satisfying

Ok one of my buddies uses 22gauge and he gets massive clouds thats the only reason i have 22 I borrowed some from him and I do have a ohms meter

komanji,

You should realize that your original post has all the elements that alarm people on this forum. "How many wraps?" is a question that makes everyone shudder. You didn't say what diameter you are using, whether you're winding microcoil or loose, what head you were putting this on, what your wick material is, what your coil resistance is, or what kind of mod you're using. NOBODY can offer you good advice without this kind of background information, and the fact that you don't seem to understand this is alarming.

You say you do have an ohm meter. Do you use it? If you do, I would think that the resistance of your coil would be something you know, and you would have said that long ago. And you would also have mentioned the baseline resistance of your ohmmeter, which is VITAL for sub-ohm builds.

If you are working with high-power builds, you really shouldn't have to ask here why you aren't getting the vape you think you should. You should be able to look at the coil/wick as you fire it, and recognize the various symptoms that lead to poor vapor production. This experience is best learned by building and trying lots of less-challenging coils; once you see how they work in practice, you will be able to diagnose problems in more aggressive builds. It would also be obvious why 22ga wire is not what you should be using.

But, to be honest, your original post is a lot like saying "I sprayed a whole can of ether into my carburetor, why won't my car start?"

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
I don't understand why people try to use ridiculously thick wire like 22 or even 24 gauge Kanthal. I tried some 26 gauge wire and even at extremely low resistances (under 0.5 ohms), it took too long to heat up and did not perform nearly as well as more "sane" builds. My best builds for clouds have been simple dual 1/16" microcoils using 28 gauge wire at ~0.6 ohms. It chucks vapor like crazy and gets up to temperature almost instantly. I usually go for higher resistance coils (0.8-1.0 ohm) since the cloud chuckers just use up juice way too fast for everyday use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread