2k18 Doggystyle leaking profusely

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Sounds like you got good advice (and at this point I also doubt it's a wicking issue) You didn't mention the juice you are using... what is the VG/PG ratio? I actually doubt that's the problem but the more info we have... Are you sure there is not a missing o-ring? Maybe someone else know the details about that.
If it makes you feel any better, I have a Kanger Subtank Mini that worked fine with both coils that came with it (drop-in coils) Now I tried the "newer" coils (long story but I got the coils for free) It leaks like crazy! I have read about this issue before. Anyway, I really am just interested in using the RBA that came with it... if that leaks, I will cry.
Freezer, rubber gloves, ect... good luck. I have had to resort to two pair of "channel lock" pliers with electrical tape on the pliers (as a last resort but it worked) Sometimes RTAs leak... it is frustrating but if you catch it before it "pisses" all over your mod then it's not a major problem (I freak out if it actually get in the 510 or fire button of the mod)
P.S. when you fill it, close the airflow and don't fill all the way... might help. I hate mysteries. I have two RTAs (silverplay)... one leaks, one doesn't (I'm convinced it's a manufacturing defect) Have tried over and over with the leaker and nothing helps.

Reactions: ChelsB

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
Sounds like you got good advice (and at this point I also doubt it's a wicking issue) You didn't mention the juice you are using... what is the VG/PG ratio? I actually doubt that's the problem but the more info we have... Are you sure there is not a missing o-ring? Maybe someone else know the details about that.
If it makes you feel any better, I have a Kanger Subtank Mini that worked fine with both coils that came with it (drop-in coils) Now I tried the "newer" coils (long story but I got the coils for free) It leaks like crazy! I have read about this issue before. Anyway, I really am just interested in using the RBA that came with it... if that leaks, I will cry.
Freezer, rubber gloves, ect... good luck. I have had to resort to two pair of "channel lock" pliers with electrical tape on the pliers (as a last resort but it worked) Sometimes RTAs leak... it is frustrating but if you catch it before it "pisses" all over your mod then it's not a major problem (I freak out if it actually get in the 510 or fire button of the mod)
P.S. when you fill it, close the airflow and don't fill all the way... might help. I hate mysteries. I have two RTAs (silverplay)... one leaks, one doesn't (I'm convinced it's a manufacturing defect) Have tried over and over with the leaker and nothing helps.

I am using 70 VG/30 PG juice and I did fully close the airflow before filling (and then as soon as I opened the airflow, juice started leaking out).
I used to use the RBA for the subtank mini and that was SO easy to build and wick. I never had ANY problems with it! I’m guessing that RTAs are a bit more finicky and less forgiving compared to the STM RBA...

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
Flip it upside down, stick a small screwdriver in the airflow hole and use that as leverage to unscrew it. @Katdarling has a blingy picture of it somewhere ;)

I tried to do that but it didn’t work. Hopefully she will post a pic as the freezer didn’t work :-(
My fingers are very sore from trying to unscrew that thing. I’m worried that it’s totally stuck and I won’t get to use it again. I guess I could try taking a hammer to the plastic tank and breaking the pieces off (That will be my last resort).

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I tried to do that but it didn’t work. Hopefully she will post a pic as the freezer didn’t work :-(
    My fingers are very sore from trying to unscrew that thing. I’m worried that it’s totally stuck and I won’t get to use it again. I guess I could try taking a hammer to the plastic tank and breaking the pieces off (That will be my last resort).

Screwdrivers before hammers :wub:

First try it screwed onto a mod tightly:
    Try it first without the screwdriver, as the extra grip from rubber gloves may be enough.
    baddoggy.jpg

Attempt A:
    Wear a surgical or latex or rubber glove if you have one. .
    With the rubber covered hand twist the tank to the right

Attempt B:
    Stick a tiny screwdriver into the airflow hole.
    Hold the screwdriver in place with one hand -

Attempt C:
    Take it off the mod, flip it upside down. Hold the tank with your rubber hand. Stick screwdriver in the airflow hole, and twist the screwdriver to the right.

Attempt D:
    Hammer time :grr:

ChelsB

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 12, 2016
    California
    Screwdrivers before hammers :wub:

First try it screwed onto a mod tightly:
    Try it first without the screwdriver, as the extra grip from rubber gloves may be enough.
    View attachment 918151

Attempt A:
    Wear a surgical or latex or rubber glove if you have one. .

Attempt B:
    Stick a tiny screwdriver into the airflow hole.
    Hold the screwdriver in place with one hand -

Attempt C:
    Take it off the mod, flip it upside down. Hold the tank with your rubber hand. Stick screwdriver in the airflow hole, and twist the screwdriver to the right.

Attempt D:
    Hammer time :grr:

The gloves worked! Yippee!! I used rubber gloves for dishwashing.
    Thank you for your excellent ideas! I’m glad I didn’t use the hammer!

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I guess I could try taking a hammer to the plastic tank and breaking the pieces off (That will be my last resort).

Glad you got it working I was gonna say send it to me the Doggy 2018 topfill tanks are my special tank to break, and you won't feel so guilty about it, LOL.

Glad you achieved your goalz.

RTAs can be so annoying man. Mine will require anywhere from 5 minutes to 3 hours to deal with depending on like, the state of the moon, the state of my hands and the vagaries of fate.

Anna

My first doggy was possessed, too. Don't worry it gets easier (I think)

Reactions: ChelsB

ChelsB

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 12, 2016
    California
    Glad you got it working I was gonna say send it to me the Doggy 2018 topfill tanks are my special tank to break, and you won't feel so guilty about it, LOL.

Glad you achieved your goalz.

RTAs can be so annoying man. Mine will require anywhere from 5 minutes to 3 hours to deal with depending on like, the state of the moon, the state of my hands and the vagaries of fate.

Anna

My first doggy was possessed, too. Don't worry it gets easier (I think)

Thanks for letting me know I’m not the only one who had problems. I’m happy to send my 2k18 to you if you want it? Since it’s been so difficult for me to figure out, it’s no longer a fun challenge for me. I’ll just stick with the more forgiving 2k16

• Optimistic
    Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    The tank is a pain, yes. But I have plenty of guts. And I think my FT order did finally get here of 10 more tanks to break.

I personally think the first design is better personally but I LOVE not looking at (and inevitably changing the revolting looking wick every time I fill it and I love the way they look.

Both probably bad reasons but whomever designed that JFC thing should be taken out and SHOT.
    Anna

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2011
    Utopia
    Flip it upside down, stick a small screwdriver in the airflow hole and use that as leverage to unscrew it. @Katdarling has a blingy picture of it somewhere ;)

Glad it's all fixed, Ms. Chels.

Pics nevertheless, just cuzza. But hardly blingy, dahlink! :D

screwdriver 0822182340.jpg
    0716181834.jpg
    0716181835.jpg

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    I have SJMY 2k16's and have never had any issues with removing the tank section. Never needed to use a screwdriver, rubber gloves (or hands ;)) and never required 'the hammer'.

In fact I am still on my first clear tank section. The threads are still fine.

My rule of thumb with every RTA I own --- never tighten any part tighter than finger tight... ever, never.

Hold the tank with your rubber hand.
    I wasn't born with one of those. :confused: o_O I feel ripped off. :D :lol:

ETA: Hammer time is my favorite time of all.

ETA2: Always lube the threads and o-rings with VG (or juice). Makes it easier.

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    I have SJMY 2k16's and have never had any issues with removing the tank section. Never needed to use a screwdriver, rubber gloves (or hands ;)) and never required 'the hammer'.

In fact I am still on my first clear tank section. The threads are still fine.

My rule of thumb with every RTA I own --- never tighten any part tighter than finger tight... ever, never.

I live by the same 'finger tight' rule with the vast majority of my vape hardware ShowMeTwice, but my SJMY 2K16 bases get a not so gentle tighten with the tips of a long nose plier in the wick grooves. I found this makes it foolproof for me to take the tank off to refill without having the atty unscrew from my mod. I don't use an O-ring between the clear tank and the base so I need the tank to touch the base, and these tanks get tighter than I want extremely easily. I started doing this soon after beginning to work with my first one and have never had an issue since.

I appreciate these atties so much I have 12 of them and more spare parts than I'll probably ever need. I'm still using the first one I got about two years ago and have not had to replace anything on it. These are what I use all day at work on a Pico 75 and a couple have been droped on a concrete floor a couple of times. Broke the drip tip once so I vaped it direct from the tank the rest of the day. They've been so dependable, I don't feel the need to have a spare with me :cool:

BTW, I also really enjoy hammer time :)

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2011
    Utopia
    I live by the same 'finger tight' rule with the vast majority of my vape hardware ShowMeTwice, but my SJMY 2K16 bases get a not so gentle tighten with the tips of a long nose plier in the wick grooves. I found this makes it foolproof for me to take the tank off to refill without having the atty unscrew from my mod. I don't use an O-ring between the clear tank and the base so I need the tank to touch the base, and these tanks get tighter than I want extremely easily. I started doing this soon after beginning to work with my first one and have never had an issue since.

BTW, I also really enjoy hammer time :)

Pics please, oh Ryedan one?

Or not. Just keeding.

No, I'm not. I WOULD like to see what you mean.

Got time to do so? If that's a no, so be it. I shall not regale you with blingy pleas.

:D

Reactions: Ryedan

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Pics please, oh Ryedan one?

Or not. Just keeding.

No, I'm not. I WOULD like to see what you mean.

Got time to do so? If that's a no, so be it. I shall not regale you with blingy pleas.

:D

I kould not possibly not help out with this oh Blingy one :cool:

It's been a while since I've posted a pic here, but I'm up for the challenge. I used to use Tiny Pic for pic hosting, but they've been out of the game for a while now. I'm going to try uploading to ECF and posting that here.

Here goes:

Well, that seems to work pretty well in the preview :)

I slip the pliers tips in there as shown and give it an appropriate twist which snugs the whole base down pretty well. As you can see, it can be done and undone with the coil installed.

Hope that helps Katdarling :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread