2nd box mod, a juicer this time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudforce

ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
IE, CA, US, Earth
I finally got around to building another mod. This one's a top-fed juice box, Nico-Drip style. Most parts are available from MadVapes; 2xAA battery box, horn switch, 510 connector, fast color-changing LED, and a 3ml bottle (totaling < $8). The only non-madvapes part is the juice tube which came from a dollar store long lighter.

P1020862.jpg
The drip tube is way longer than it needs to be. I'll shorten it eventually.

P1020864.jpg
The box is rough sanded with a sanding sponge that was kicking around on my workbench.

P1020866.jpg
Bottle cutout was patterned around a nickel and removed with a handheld sawblade and xacto knife.

P1020867.jpg
Resistor for the LED is stashed under the battery. A few dobs of hot glue insulate and/or hold down some fiddly bits. Currently the atty connector is just pressed in, but I'll add a goober of epoxy as soon as I buy some more.

P1020858.jpg
The drip tip has been drilled to fit the lighter tube. The tube goes in and takes a 90 degree turn down so it drips right on top of the atty bridge. The other end (no photo) is just wedged through the bottle drip top and cut at an angle to pick up from the bottom of the bottle. No extra fittings or parts needed, and I haven't seen a leak in its first 24 hours.

And here's a crappy phone video of the LED emblingenating the juice bottle.

So, yeah, another juice feeder for < ten bucks in parts, and < 1 hour in labor. With the larger horn switch there's no need for a MOSFET, and there shouldn't be any risk of it burning out either.

For those starting from nothing, add another $20 for a 510 atty, drip tip, 14500 battery and charger, and there's six to eight hours of uninterrupted vaping goodness for under $30.

Rudforce

ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
IE, CA, US, Earth
I was considering sticking the drip tip on a carto, and I do have some e2s but I haven't had any love out of them yet. Everything tastes like bleah so far (yeah, that's the technical term). Kinda like how I imagine a warm wet sock would taste...

edit = Oh yeah, Thanks! (/me feels like a clod having to say thanks in an edit)

Rudforce

ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
IE, CA, US, Earth
@VV,
I haven't tried boiling an E2 yet. I have tried dry burning it to see if it helped, but it didn't seem to make a difference. If I put a drop of liquid directly onto the coil it tastes right for about 1.75 hits then back to the funk again. The taste isn't necessarily nasty, just... I can't come up with a word. It's just blah. Wet, warm, big vapor, tastes like wet dish towel. I'm not done trying yet though. That's just the first one outta the pack, there are 4 new ones left still.

@Gunjji
When it works it's pretty handy*. Next time you're at a dollar store, wally-world, etc... grab a cheap BBQ lighter and steal its tube. You can buy tube from mcmaster and several other places, but it costs a damn sight more than a buck to get it.

* "when it works" - I'm having issues with getting the liquid onto the bridge. After vaping for a while the inside of the drip tip is, of course, covered with vapor condensate. Then when I try to squeeze a drip out, instead of dripping off the end of the tube it actually seems to float backwards up the driptip along the wet inside surface. When I dry out the tip it gets better for a while until the condensate builds up again. Pretty darn annoying...

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
...The taste isn't necessarily nasty, just... I can't come up with a word. It's just blah. Wet, warm, big vapor, tastes like wet dish towel. I'm not done trying yet though.

* "when it works" - I'm having issues with getting the liquid onto the bridge. After vaping for a while the inside of the drip tip is, of course, covered with vapor condensate. Then when I try to squeeze a drip out, instead of dripping off the end of the tube it actually seems to float backwards up the driptip along the wet inside surface. When I dry out the tip it gets better for a while until the condensate builds up again. Pretty darn annoying...
I'm with you on the cartos, tried many, for me they just don't cut it.

As far as the drip tip, chuck it. That skinny 'cute' one is pretty useless... as you've noticed. You could try one of the wide mouthed ones, but FWIW a standard modified cart seems to work the best (trim some plastic off the bottom). The center where the liquid will drip (and maybe accumulate) is isolated and lower that the 2 air intakes higher up on both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread