3 or 4 amp Adapter - Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
can anyone help me find a 3 or possibly even a 4amp wall usb adapter? google just keeps spitting out a 4-port usb hub (or a 3 port usb hub, depending on my search). i know the adapters are out there as ive seen them, but now i cant find em anymore.

im looking for it to power my passthru and unlock its full potential. any help is appreciated. i posted this in the Where Can I get A ........ Forum, to no avail. it doesnt really seem like a place too many knowledgable folks are visiting.

JKuro

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Torrance, CA
www.kuroconcepts.com
I dont know why you would need 3-4 amps. That would be like trying to run a 1.3 ohm coil at 5 volts. It would probably burn out the coil right away. Scosche has a 4 amp USB Ac adapter, model reVIVE IV.

Edit: Sorry, that is a 4 port adapter, so each port will only be 1 amp each. You may just have to get a 5 volt regulated supply, and connect a USB connector to it. You would have to be careful though, as USB plugs and cables werent designed to handle high current.

Last edited:

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
I dont know why you would need 3-4 amps. That would be like trying to run a 1.3 ohm coil at 5 volts. It would probably burn out the coil right away. Scosche has a 4 amp USB Ac adapter, model reVIVE IV.

Edit: Sorry, that is a 4 port adapter, so each port will only be 1 amp each. You may just have to get a 5 volt regulated supply, and connect a USB connector to it. You would have to be careful though, as USB plugs and cables werent designed to handle high current.
Amps are the potential amperage it can go to. I have one that will handle a 1 amp output and a 2 amp output at the same time and I have had no trouble but it is for cig ligher connections they make some for wall outlets that can go higher. The amperage output is just to say it will handle that high a amperage. You can't push more amps than the device will handle unless the device hooked to it fails. If a device only draws 2 amps unless it has a problem it will not draw more and if it has that kind of problem then well it is bad but the usb adapter is not at fault.
I was an electronics tech for many years and that is basic electronics theory.
Volts are electrical pressure and amps are like gallons per hour in a hose or pipe. Resistance is like the size of a pipe or hose in water the smaller the hose/pipe the greater the resistance.

Last edited:

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
I looked on amazon and I could not find any that went that high. Even the wall/ac's don't go that high. I can't imagine a need for that even if you are using a passthrough system at 4 amps you would get 32 watts at the atty with 2 ohms. Way outside the need of vaping plus like they said I doubt you will find a USB cable that is made to handle that high a current. If it were an AC voltage you could go higher as AC will carry more current over a smaller wire but not DC. Best I found is 2 amps. At 2 amps and 2 ohms that would be 8 watts.

Perhaps if you would tell us what you need that for we could come up with an alternative.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Methinks you might be misunderstanding how a passthrough works. The USB supply only acts to keep the battery charged. (A passthrough with a completely drained battery won't work at all until the battery gets at least some charge in it above it's cutoff level.) Since the passthrough is only there to keep the battery charged, you will never draw more amps off it than the battery in the passthrough can provide. If it's an 1100 mAh passthrough connecting it to a 4 Amp DC adapter will only produce... 1100 mA at best. Can't get out of it more than the internal battery will provide, no matter what DC power source you connect it to.

JKuro

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Torrance, CA
www.kuroconcepts.com
Amps are the potential amperage it can go to. I have one that will handle a 1 amp output and a 2 amp output at the same time and I have had no trouble but it is for cig ligher connections they make some for wall outlets that can go higher. The amperage output is just to say it will handle that high a amperage. You can't push more amps than the device will handle unless the device hooked to it fails. If a device only draws 2 amps unless it has a problem it will not draw more and if it has that kind of problem then well it is bad but the usb adapter is not at fault.
I was an electronics tech for many years and that is basic electronics theory.
Volts are electrical pressure and amps are like gallons per hour in a hose or pipe. Resistance is like the size of a pipe or hose in water the smaller the hose/pipe the greater the resistance.

Yes, the amperage is dependant upon load, but you can increase amperage to a device potentially destroying it by raising voltage, as you already know by Ohms Law. Also passing 3-4 amps through a USB cable that uses 1mm wide circuit board traces and 30ga wire leads is dangerous.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
Methinks you might be misunderstanding how a passthrough works. The USB supply only acts to keep the battery charged. (A passthrough with a completely drained battery won't work at all until the battery gets at least some charge in it above it's cutoff level.) Since the passthrough is only there to keep the battery charged, you will never draw more amps off it than the battery in the passthrough can provide. If it's an 1100 mAh passthrough connecting it to a 4 Amp DC adapter will only produce... 1100 mA at best. Can't get out of it more than the internal battery will provide, no matter what DC power source you connect it to.

im sorry, but thats not the type of "passthrough" im talking about. the "passthrough" you are describing isnt actually a passthrough at all. youre talking about a battery that charges with a USB cable, and allows you to vape as you charge. lots of vendors call these passthroughs, but they are not.

a true passthrough is a device that works solely on power from the cable. the cable is not removable, and the unit has no internal battery. here is an example:
Variable Voltage EgO/510 USB Passthrough

what happens with this unit, is the amperage is governed by the adapter you use. the specs on the adapter become your vaping specs. most adapters are 500mAh or 1000mAh (1amp). there are other adapters that are 2amp, 2.1 amp, and higher.

using ohms law, its extremely easy to go over 2.1amps here:
Ohm's Law Calculator
plug in 2.1 under Current. then plug in 4.8 under Voltage. the result is the inability to use any atomizer under approx 2.3 ohms, and still receive its full potential.

steved5600, thank you for your input. however, going over 2.1 amps is almost a necessity. most mods are made with a much higher amperage limit. heck, even the twist is a 2.5 or maybe a 3, i forget. also, the linked passthru is the one i have.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
I'm not inclined to quibble over the point but your description is backward. The device you linked to isn't a passthrough at all - but they have to call it something. The point of passthroughs is they were the first and only device that allowed charging current to pass through the battery to charge it, and allow allow you to vape off the battery alternatively, without having to disconnect the battery from the charger in order to do so. I would be inclined to call the device you got a pass-along as all it does is supply voltage and current to whatever atty or carto you connect to it and unlike passthroughs it can't function at all as a standalone battery.

But it's an interesting device. I would be inclined to want one of those just to do dry burns and not have to put wear on batteries in the process.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
I'm not inclined to quibble over the point but your description is backward. The device you linked to isn't a passthrough at all - but they have to call it something. The point of passthroughs is they were the first and only device that allowed charging current to pass through the battery to charge it, and allow allow you to vape off the battery alternatively, without having to disconnect the battery from the charger in order to do so. I would be inclined to call the device you got a pass-along as all it does is supply voltage and current to whatever atty or carto you connect to it and unlike passthroughs it can't function at all as a standalone battery.

But it's an interesting device. I would be inclined to want one of those just to do dry burns and not have to put wear on batteries in the process.

agree to disagree.

sorry but its not me thats backward. however, im not going to change your mind, so i wont even try. i dont mind, everyone is entitled to think what they want. call it a passalong, thats fine. at the end of the day, it really doesnt matter. all i really care about is getting a 3 or 4 amp adapter for the darn thing.

and fwiw, its a great little device. if you got one, youd enjoy it if i had to guess. just try to find a 3 or 4 amp adapter for it lol! the 2.1 amp is fine though- its just not giving me all i can get. let me know if you get one and i'll let you know if ive located the proper adapter yet, and if so where to locate it.

and cheers to Wallace and Grommet. :toast:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread