3-Stage Variable eGo with LED screen & Super kits Exclusive to GV 3 Stage Variable EGO(2 batts),Cone,5 TC Clearomizers IN STOCK NOW!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

djrbx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA USA
icarlo.net

This is the reason why I'm holding off. Once this comes out with the USB passthrough, I will be like "Shutup and TAKE MY MONEY!"

JW50

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2011
USA Kentucky
Just a little jibber jabber relating to the post. Two hours really doesn't sound bad to me. A dual coil is kind of like operating two single coils simultaneously so a halving of time as compared to a single coil - it seems - should be a reasonable expectation. It would also seem that the resulting vapor/mist would not be twice as hot as might be expected from halving the resistance but instead a greater volume of vapor/mist that one might compensate for by taking perhaps shorter duration hits. To the extent that one shortens the duration of each hit, the halving of batt time as compared to the single coil becomes less expected. But the doubling of the vapor/mist at less than scorching temperatures would seem to offer the vaper greater options to find that "incredible" vape without having to eat a burnt steak. JMO. I need to try one of those dual coils.

A multiple, multiple dual here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-pictures-brighten-your-day-just-relax-9.html at post #83. With more volume, the length of draw may be reduced.

JW50

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2011
USA Kentucky
You said it right: boosted and regulated.
The regulation part seems to be missing (or very weak) in the first version.
But then, we're only assuming they would be regulated...
As soon as someone checks the output with an oscilloscope or an RMS voltmeter, all will be clearer.
I'll do it when I have the chance.

Pretty sure that what you will find on the oscilloscope is all three levels of selection are pulse width modulated - and no boost present. Low will have a duty rate of about 76%, mid-range at about 90% and high 99% or so. AC measurements are showing about 1.6 at low, about 0.9 at mid-range and very small at high but not zero. At same time I read the AC, DC read 2.77 at low, 3.33 at mid-range and 3.76 at high. The AC and DC reads suggest RMS values of 3.21 at low, 3.45 at mid-range and 3.76 at high. These numbers suggest that power at mid-selection is about 84% of power at high and power at low about 73% of high. Had readings perhaps been more precise and accurate I think the RMS values would have turned to have produced power reductions identical to the duty rate percentages.

It seems to me the VV eGo is a hybrid of a Joye eGo and a Riva. Joye eGo varies the duty cycle of the PWM output so as to produce a consistent DC reading and, I think, relatively consistent power output throughout its discharge cycle life. Riva does not modulate and as a result produces greater power output in early stages as compared to eGo but less toward the end. The VV eGo is basically a Riva at its high selection and is a moderated Riva at the other two selection levels using PWM to achieve the moderation.

wizard10000

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
midwestern us
The center post needed to be lifted for it to work. On the highest setting it's the best combination I've found so far - incredible!!! The problem is the battery only lasts about 2 hours.

Not meaning to derail the thread but this is the reason I think I'm gonna use KGO batteries instead - as soon as someone gets some in.

Last edited:

pmos69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2011
Portugal
Pretty sure that what you will find on the oscilloscope is all three levels of selection are pulse width modulated - and no boost present. Low will have a duty rate of about 76%, mid-range at about 90% and high 99% or so. AC measurements are showing about 1.6 at low, about 0.9 at mid-range and very small at high but not zero. At same time I read the AC, DC read 2.77 at low, 3.33 at mid-range and 3.76 at high. The AC and DC reads suggest RMS values of 3.21 at low, 3.45 at mid-range and 3.76 at high. These numbers suggest that power at mid-selection is about 84% of power at high and power at low about 73% of high. Had readings perhaps been more precise and accurate I think the RMS values would have turned to have produced power reductions identical to the duty rate percentages.

It seems to me the VV eGo is a hybrid of a Joye eGo and a Riva. Joye eGo varies the duty cycle of the PWM output so as to produce a consistent DC reading and, I think, relatively consistent power output throughout its discharge cycle life. Riva does not modulate and as a result produces greater power output in early stages as compared to eGo but less toward the end. The VV eGo is basically a Riva at its high selection and is a moderated Riva at the other two selection levels using PWM to achieve the moderation.

That level of efficiency for the blue setting from a PWM circuit is unlikely.
Even more when the previous "DC" readings (most likely flawed) show a performance a bit higher than a simple li-ion bat.

About RMS. You need a "true RMS" voltmeter.
AC readings and "average RMS" or similar readings should be more or less flawed, since the device output is most likely a square wave.

Last edited:

badkolo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
Whitestone , New York USA
I do want to make a quick point for newcomers seeing this thread, you dont need to go through all of this to enjoy your led 3 stage variable ego, simply charge it and screw on your cart,tank or atty and choose one of the 3 levels to achieve your desired vaping experience.

To the techies of this thread, thanks for all your input, its much appreciated and helps everyone with a better understanding as to what makes these cool 3 stage ego's tick but try to enjoy your batteries a little more because before you guys are done investigating this one, 3 others will be arriving ,hehe funtimes ahead.

JW50

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2011
USA Kentucky
Mine and ITA's.
99% efficiency is unlikely, yes. Expect a higher power drop introduced by the circuit even in it's higher duty cycle.

Is "mine" the same as listed at post #220 (pg 22)? If so, those readings tend to substantiate 99%+ duty at high (blue) IMO. I took other readings and likewise confirmed the very high duty rate. It is seeming to me that mid-select (purple) is very, very close to eGo for most of discharge cycle and other two are plus or minus ~10% power of mid-select.

pmos69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2011
Portugal
Think maybe we should open another thread if you want to keep discussing this.
Perhaps this is just a bit too tech for the OT.

(What I was telling you is that I don't know of any low voltage pwm circuits with 99%+ efficiency, so to get those end results you need to pre-boost the signal. Open another thread if you want to discuss it.)

Last edited:

Dr.Hindenburg

Jul 12, 2011
Tulsa, Ok
First, I love this damn battery. I was disappointed with my Smoktech eGo batts when I used anything other than dual coil cartos. I wound up sticking my last box of CE2's on a passthrough, because those batteries just didn't cut it. I was saving up for a VV mod til I saw these, and decided to wait for more stock to come in. After just a few days with one of these, I'm seriously considering buying a couple more and giving my old batteries to a friend.
I just have one confusing (non-)issue with this: if I set it to 3.7v, the ring eventually flashes red and steps down to 3.2v while I'm vaping. It doesn't happen often, and it never happens at 4.2v. It's not even an inconvenience to me, but I'm wondering if this is actually a feature. Is there some programmed way to lower the voltage, rather than just hitting the button ten times?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread