THEY'RE BACK!! The 3 stage Variable Ego Passthrough-FREE Black Case INCLUDED - IN Stock NOW!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannoman

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
Sugar Land, Texas USA

Janet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2008
Akron OH USA
I really would like one of these. I have a 5 volt passthrough, but I only like one brand of carto with it - I believe it is a 3.2 ohm carto. All other cartos I've tried on it don't work for me - they just hit too hard and tend to wipe out the flavor of the e-liquid. Problem: I just spent a bunch of money on a regular eGo passthrough and more eGo batts, plus a plain little 3.7 box mod.

I've used passthroughs for over two years. The first ones had kinda wimpy cords that didn't last very long, but they saved me a lot of time because I wasn't constantly charging batteries.

When I found a sturdy 5-volt passthrough, I really liked it. My first one lasted 7 months. But, it limits me to using only one kind of 808 cartomizer.

I've been wanting a variable volt passthrough for a long time and here it is! - just a few days after ordering a bunch of e-cig stuff, along with going over my monthly e-cig stuff budget. Sheesh!

Question 1): Why did you make it with such a thin cable permanently connected to it? (I'm thinking those little wires inside that cable will break after about a month or two.) IDK - maybe it's thicker than what it looks like in the pic.

Question 2): Is it a battery that may lose its recharging capabilities like any other eGo battery?

Question 3): Are there future plans for making this with a cable that has a mini USB that plugs into the passthrough (like the regular eGo passthrough)? I'm thinking when that cable wears out, it would be nice to be able to replace just the cable instead of the whole thing.

Janet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2008
Akron OH USA
Yes good suggestion on the non-attached usb...I imagine they made it this way for production costs...not sure but we'll check on it for you...
Thank you! I'd really appreciate that. (Um, how about question 2? Is it really only a passthrough, or is it a battery? - like the previous eGo passthrough/battery)

Randyrtx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2009
Cedar Park, TX
Yes good suggestion on the non-attached usb...I imagine they made it this way for production costs...not sure but we'll check on it for you...

Hate to be a killjoy but that might not work so well. Common USB data cables are low current and may not handle the requirements of a passthru well. You'd have to specify a higher current cable.

My concern would be with the existing cable entering directly into the passthru body without a proper strain relief. Early 808 passthrus were made like that and broke rather easily.

Janet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2008
Akron OH USA
Hmmmm...now I get to see if the regular eGo passthrough/battery has this problem.....when it arrives.....maybe tomorrow.

I had early penstyle passthroughs - 801s maybe - who knows? - they didn't tell you the model number back then and I thought they just stopped working because the wires broke in their wimpy little cables. The lady who sold them told me about the double knot trick to keep them working longer - and I went through probably a half dozen to notice that doing this did indeed make them last longer. They would work on an iPod charger too. The 510 3.7-volt passthroughs I just received don't, but they work fine on a 5V 2-amp USB wall plug.

Those old penstyle e-cigs did not fire consistently though (not sure if it was the battery, atty, or passthrough that caused this), so you just may have a point, Randy.

Sooooo, Question number 4: Are the cables for the regular eGo combo passthrough/battery common USB cables? Or do they have special powers to make them extra strong? :p If I get one of these variable volt eGo passthroughs, I sure would want it to not have problems with strain relief!

Even if the cables are just "common" at least you could replace just the cable without having to buy a whole new device.

Last edited:

Janet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2008
Akron OH USA
Sorry, I still need an answer to question #2. Is it a battery that may lose its recharging capabilities like any other eGo battery? - on both the regular eGo Passthrough/Battery and this new Variable eGo Passthrough? Or in other words, is it a Passthrough only?

Regardless, I think I will wait for the next version. To me e-cigs are kinda like cars; there are many models from which to choose from, with many choices for additional features; they may lose performance capabilities for any number of reasons; sometimes "lemons" are sold; they have quality control issues; they require general maintenance and care; they require proper fuel; and it's generally not a good idea to buy a new 1st run of any model. It's almost always best to wait at least until a second or third run of the kind you want is available.

I never have been someone who just had to have a new gadget when it first comes to market. I'd rather wait a while for improvements that address the issues of a first-run of most anything. It just boggles my mind when people will wait in line all night outside a store that is releasing a new gadget or whatever, so they can be one of the first to get it.

So, could you please tell the manufacturer to hurry with an update/upgrade of the Variable eGo Passthrough please? A good upgrade would be a sturdy, easily replaced cable that has a mini USB connection or maybe instead, a headphone-like plug that plugs into a jack on the device, and has good strain relief in the area by this connection, or at least good strain relief where the cable connects to the device if it remains a permanent cable. Hopefully not, but I imagine there will be other issues too.

I really don't mean to be a "Debbie Downer" - but I'm tired of ordering e-cig stuff and it doesn't work like it's supposed to. It's really a hassle to send it back for a refund or replacement. I'm sure there is a ton of e-cig stuff lying around people's homes that didn't work quite right or was DOA, along with plenty of other things ordered online, but it just involved too much time and money to repackage it, take it to the post office, or wherever, and pay for return postage to get a replacement or refund. Many times, returns or exchanges are not even an option. (I am not referring to GotVapes, but just to online sellers in general.)

Online armchair shopping is great! - when you like what you bought. But boy is it a hassle if you don't, or you can just chalk it up as a learning experiences and count your losses.

Amy41996

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2010
Chicago, Illinois, United States
ok...just wondering if the car charger you guys have be able to handle the VV ego passthru? Would really like this for the car :) If not, what do I look for to be able to use it in my car...
This already may have been discussed...but I must admit, I am really lazy to go through all the posts/threads at this time :vapor:
Thanks

dannoman

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
Sugar Land, Texas USA
HI Amy- the car charger we sell is 2amps...which is the better quality variety of these so it will work well with this unit...not a bad idea....I'll add the charger as an optional on this...

ok...just wondering if the car charger you guys have be able to handle the VV ego passthru? Would really like this for the car :) If not, what do I look for to be able to use it in my car...
This already may have been discussed...but I must admit, I am really lazy to go through all the posts/threads at this time :vapor:
Thanks

Last edited:

dannoman

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
Sugar Land, Texas USA
By the way this unit is a pleasure to use!

It is very light in the hand since there is no battery inside the unit as it is a pass through.

Once plugged into your USB port it will flash whatever setting it is at. When you first plug it in it should default to a blue flash which is 3.2.

When you rapidly press the button five more times it will then flash at you a light pink/purplish color and this is the midrange value of 3.7. Five more presses and it will blink RED at you which indicates the highest voltage of 4.2. When you then begin to use it to vape you are reminded of your voltage when the button lights up the matching color for the voltage it is at (again, blue=3.2, purplish/pink=3.7 and red=4.2)

Throw your carto on this unit and see which of these three stages work best for whatever particular carto you are using. Right now I have a Vision attached to mine and its working very similarily at 3.7 and 4.2 but I give a slight nod to the 4.2 setting.

I think everyone will enjoy this and we'll be getting more of these in.

Receives any standard eGo cone.

as of this post there are 24 total units left

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread