304 / 316 SS and TC

Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaGeno21

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2013
RI
So based on page 3, a poster mentioned unkamensupplies carred 304 ss, i picked up 26, 28 and 30 gauge. Really good price, just wish they carred shorter lengths to see which would work best.

My sx mini ml should be comign in this weekend and wanted to try out temp control, usually use kanthal 26 or 28 gauge around .5 to 1.00 ohm, so hoping the guages i picked for ss will work. I am guessing 316L and 317L would work with the sx ml, but since a video I watched showed the 304 in the settings wanted to stick with that.

Thanks for the links and help. Any other thoughts using ss?
It's funny you did that today, I did also. But I emailed and asked if he would sell lower lengths to me which he did. I ended up ordering 50 feet of 24,26,28 and 100 feet of 32. VERY excited to try this stuff out!

LongDraw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2012
Suburbs, IL
It's funny you did that today, I did also. But I emailed and asked if he would sell lower lengths to me which he did. I ended up ordering 50 feet of 24,26,28 and 100 feet of 32. VERY excited to try this stuff out!

Haha, that is a good idea. WIsh i would have done that. I was to impatient thinking if i hurry and order maybe it would get here for this weekend. Will have to keep that in mind.

I keep seeing alot of posts about the other grades of SS. Will be interested to see if this works out and the advantages of the other grades of wires. Still alot of reading to do.

PapaGeno21

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2013
RI
Yeah, I hear that. I have been reading things about SS non stop for days. I originally wanted to check out TI, but then saw SS and would rather go this route. I like the fact they can just be run in normal power mode as well as TC. So I have two mods that can supposedly run SS in TC mode so I can give that a try. And for all my others I can just run in power mode. I LOVE my clapton coils I built using kanthal, so I ordered the 32G SS so I can do them in SS as well. May as well give it a real try ya know.

So I am just trying to grasp something here which is not 100% clear to me. When I build a nichrome or kanthal coil, I pulse and heat the coil to hold them together with tweezers and that sets the coil in place nice and tight. Is that safe to do with the SS as well? I am understanding I will need less power to do it due to its faster ramp up time and lower resistance. But is it ok to do that in general?

LongDraw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2012
Suburbs, IL
Yeah, I hear that. I have been reading things about SS non stop for days. I originally wanted to check out TI, but then saw SS and would rather go this route. I like the fact they can just be run in normal power mode as well as TC. So I have two mods that can supposedly run SS in TC mode so I can give that a try. And for all my others I can just run in power mode. I LOVE my clapton coils I built using kanthal, so I ordered the 32G SS so I can do them in SS as well. May as well give it a real try ya know.

So I am just trying to grasp something here which is not 100% clear to me. When I build a nichrome or kanthal coil, I pulse and heat the coil to hold them together with tweezers and that sets the coil in place nice and tight. Is that safe to do with the SS as well? I am understanding I will need less power to do it due to its faster ramp up time and lower resistance. But is it ok to do that in general?

I woulnd't take my word for it because I haven't read enough on it yet. I thought i have read that you can have contact or spaced coils with stainless steel, and that you can dry burn them. Kinda why i was interested in using ss as well, rather then the other options for temp control. Like you were saying will be nice if it works out and then can just use it for either wattage or temp control.

I have been reading i sx mini m and the smini ml class threads. Here is another one I started browsing through, they seem to go pretty in depth with the different types of wire.

TC beyond Ni200: Nickel Purity, Dicodes; Ti, SS, Resistherm NiFe30; Coefficient of Resistance

If you have links to any good stainless steel threads let me know if you have a chance. I keep reading the one above and now then search for another.

Last edited:

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
So based on page 3, a poster mentioned unkamensupplies carred 304 ss, i picked up 26, 28 and 30 gauge. Really good price, just wish they carred shorter lengths to see which would work best.

My sx mini ml should be comign in this weekend and wanted to try out temp control, usually use kanthal 26 or 28 gauge around .5 to 1.00 ohm, so hoping the guages i picked for ss will work. I am guessing 316L and 317L would work with the sx ml, but since a video I watched showed the 304 in the settings wanted to stick with that.

Thanks for the links and help. Any other thoughts using ss?

Which SS listing on the Unkamen site is the 304? I clicked on each one but saw no specs except for the 430 and 316 (317?) listings.

Also, if 304 is cheaper than 316, which is 316 more popular in vaping use today? Are there health concerns regarding leaching or other safety concerns with 304?

LongDraw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2012
Suburbs, IL
Which SS listing on the Unkamen site is the 304? I clicked on each one but saw no specs except for the 430 and 316 (317?) listings.

Also, if 304 is cheaper than 316, which is 316 more popular in vaping use today? Are there health concerns regarding leaching or other safety concerns with 304?

Don't quote me on this, but for some reason i thought i remember reading that 316 and above had higher ohms so less wraps.

I am not sure of what would be safer.

I went off the links on page 3 for what wire was 304, 316 or 317.

I did see another post to unkamen's etsy page and it looks like he lists it on that site. UnkamenSupplies

I only picked 304 because when watching vidoes that is what showed on the menu of the sx mini ml class. I am still waiting on it in the mail, but figured i wanted to get something that had presets for it. I am going to try and read more about the other types of ss because I know you can set your own values in the system it looked like.

EDIT: Also I just realized i may have misread your post. Yeah i dont' see the listings on the site other, I am just going off what the other poster on page 3 put after he said he spoke with the person.

aldenf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2014
NYC, NJ, USA
While we are discussing the comparative safety of TC wires:

Titanium wires for vaping

Stealth Vape claim to be dumping 30'000 feet of Ti grade 1, as they feel it would be 'irresponsible' to sell it!

Should we be concerned!?!

This whole discussion was about vaping TiG1 on unregulated, mechanical devices. Responsibly used, on a working TC device, TiG1 appears to be one of the best choices, along with NiFe & SS. For more discussion, you can find it in these threads:

Titanium wire, vaping and safety
TC beyond Ni200: Nickel Purity, Dicodes; Ti, SS, Resistherm NiFe30; Coefficient of Resistance

Good luck!

Reactions: slicendice
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread