304 / 316 SS and TC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisychainvaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2015
Just saw that fasttech has now 304 and 316 SS Wire so I am interested.

Why would someone use 304 when you can have 316?

As far as I know the Triton coils (subohm) use 316 and they are quite nice. They do work if you have an adjustable TCR but TC is a bit choppy as it does not change resistance a lot. But in the end this would be a material that you can use for TC and non TC, right?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
304 is essentially the same in chemical compostion, however 304 Lacks Molybdenum that 316 carries, 316 has the Molybdenum added for improved weldability among other features for that alloy. For what it's worth, I've been using 304 Stainless wire for ~6 months now and I positively love it and I'm using it without temp control. 304 grade(UNS 30400) is generally considered the standard "surgical" or "food grade" stainless steel.

My reasoning for moving over to Stainless Steel from Kanthal is that I was not particularly fond of the aluminum oxide layer which Kanthal forms and over time changes the flavor and I begin to taste a metallic tinge in my flavors. Stainless keeps the same flavor for a much longer time, I have 304 SS coils going on three months old and they're still performing great.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
304 is essentially the same in chemical compostion, however 304 Lacks Molybdenum that 316 carries, 316 has the Molybdenum added for improved weldability among other features for that alloy. For what it's worth, I've been using 304 Stainless wire for ~6 months now and I positively love it and I'm using it without temp control. 304 grade(UNS 30400) is generally considered the standard "surgical" or "food grade" stainless steel.

My reasoning for moving over to Stainless Steel from Kanthal is that I was not particularly fond of the aluminum oxide layer which Kanthal forms and over time changes the flavor and I begin to taste a metallic tinge in my flavors. Stainless keeps the same flavor for a much longer time, I have 304 SS coils going on three months old and they're still performing great.

How would you compare the Taste/Performance of 304 SS with that of NiChrome 80?

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
How would you compare the Taste/Performance of 304 SS with that of NiChrome 80?
Unfortunately my experiences with N80 are limited so my comparison may not be great. For over a year I used Kanthal A1 and near the end of using the Kanthal I started to experiment with Nichrome but I only used it for about a week. My main reasoning for not using it very long is that I discovered 304 Stainless Steel about a week into Nichrome use and the very first coil I made with 304 put the nail in the Nicrhome coffin. Crisp flavor without tasting the wire would be the best way for me to describe it, and the flavor doesn't change if the wire is older, still dry burns clean and after a re-wick it's just as good as building a brand new fresh coil.

304 is pretty similar to Nichrome in that you need to use short pulses when initially firing it to get the coil to heat up evenly and since is has a lower melting point than most vape specific wires the 304 can "pop" if you get the wire too hot(over 1600°F) but Honestly I've not had any issues with popping a coil once they're wicked and installed, it's a bit like Nichrome in that respect, if you dry fire it too long it will just melt the coil.

Reactions: SLIPPY_EEL

vapero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
monterrey,mexico
I just saw this yesterday on another thread here, I'll post it
Resistance wire safety guide | Vapor Reporter

"Stainless Steel 304/316 series. Safety rating- 95 (A+). SS has been used in medical procedures for years, though only recently has found its way into vaping coils. This is also the type of steel used in cookware. Why? Because it has a very high melting point (2400-2750 degrees F), and the questionable alloys in the steel (nickel being the biggest of concern) also require a high amount of heat (2200-2300 degrees F) before they begin to leach. I don’t know any mainstream vaping device that can reach those levels. Stainless Steel also brings a few added bonuses to the table. 304, 316, and 317 (welding wire, also known as GPlat in the community) contains enough nickel so where it can be used in a temperature controlled device. The only downside is it can be a bit tough to work with as it’s a little stiffer than any of the other metals on this list save titanium."

on their scale
Stainless Steel 304/316 series. Safety rating- 95 (A+)
Kanthal (Iron-Chromium-Aluminum)- 88 (B+)
Titanium- 72 (C)
NiChrome (Nickle-Chromium w/ some trace elements possible like iron)- 65 (D)
Nickel- 55 (F)

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Unfortunately my experiences with N80 are limited so my comparison may not be great. For over a year I used Kanthal A1 and near the end of using the Kanthal I started to experiment with Nichrome but I only used it for about a week. My main reasoning for not using it very long is that I discovered 304 Stainless Steel about a week into Nichrome use and the very first coil I made with 304 put the nail in the Nicrhome coffin. Crisp flavor without tasting the wire would be the best way for me to describe it, and the flavor doesn't change if the wire is older, still dry burns clean and after a re-wick it's just as good as building a brand new fresh coil.

304 is pretty similar to Nichrome in that you need to use short pulses when initially firing it to get the coil to heat up evenly and since is has a lower melting point than most vape specific wires the 304 can "pop" if you get the wire too hot(over 1600°F) but Honestly I've not had any issues with popping a coil once they're wicked and installed, it's a bit like Nichrome in that respect, if you dry fire it too long it will just melt the coil.

Sounds like I might have to give SS Wire a Try.

Do you know of some Good Sources to buy some Small amounts in various Gauges?

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
Sounds like I might have to give SS Wire a Try.

Do you know of some Good Sources to buy some Small amounts in various Gauges?
Honestly no I do not, I'm only working with a very specific Square 22G 304 SS wire which I'm not really at liberty to talk about as I'm the one who sells it and I'm not a registered supplier.

Reactions: 52anddone

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Honestly no I do not, I'm only working with a very specific Square 22G 304 SS wire which I'm not really at liberty to talk about as I'm the one who sells it and I'm not a registered supplier.

No Problem.

The reason I asked was I like to Try something like a New Alloy of Atomizer wire from someone who has had Experience from a Seller.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Fasttech began carrying them a few days ago

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yeah... I saw that they had listed both 304 and 316 SS.

$2.97 Authentic MKWS 304 Stainless Steel Resistance Wire for Rebuildable Atomizers - 28 AWG (0.3mm) / 9.92ohm/m / 10m (30 feet) at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

I'm not exactly Crazy about buying something like that from FT. Because sometimes their Description and the Item are Not Exactly in sink.

But for the Price, I have a spool of Both on my Wish List. And will probably throw them in on my Next Order.

Reactions: zess.turner

Zakillah

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2015
Vienna
The only downside is it can be a bit tough to work with as it’s a little stiffer than any of the other metals on this list save titanium."
I've only used 304, which I find ridiculously easy to build with. Easier then Kanthal or NiCr.
Not springy at all, just wrap the coil, done.
Thats also the main reason I use nothing else anymore.
And yeah, contact coils work just fine with SS.

Afaik it only works as TC on Dicodes devices. Well, maybe in the future more mods will support TC with SS.

Reactions: GranFumador

Sewknitty

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2010
NY
shesaquitter.wordpress.com
I'm wondering if you can make contact coils with ss wire like we can with kanthal and nichrome.

Relatively new to building so I have little experience to add. However, I've recently switched from Kanthal to 316L and done both spaced and contact coils successfully. I find it far easier to work with and maintain than Kanthal. Didn't realize I could do TC with stainless though. Going to have to give that a go. For TC I've been enjoying titanium.

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2015
DC Metro area
I noticed that at my local craft store they sell "Beadalon" wire in 316L... 18g down to 24g. Im thinking I might grab a spool and give it a shot. when running it in TC mode how far off is your temps? I have an upgraded IPV4 which has the programming for NI200 and TI... if I wanted to run at 400f where about should I set the temp if Im using 316L?

Scotticus93

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
Yorktown, Virginia, United States
I noticed that at my local craft store they sell "Beadalon" wire in 316L... 18g down to 24g. Im thinking I might grab a spool and give it a shot. when running it in TC mode how far off is your temps? I have an upgraded IPV4 which has the programming for NI200 and TI... if I wanted to run at 400f where about should I set the temp if Im using 316L?
I've been told it's good to buy a smok x cube because you can custom tune a wire using an app on your phone and Bluetooth

Reactions: zess.turner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread