32g kanthal/cotton microcoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

treyalexjohn

Dec 5, 2013
Houma, La
Hey guys, I just picked up some 32g kanthal from a shop today and i'm thinking about building some microcoils for my protank with it. would that work well? I see most people using 30g and 28g so I'm kinda iffy about it. I'm thinking about 10 or so wraps on a 1/16 bit will give me a decent ohm reading, somewhere between 1.8-2.5 I'm hoping. Closer to 1.8 would be better I think. Any suggestions would be awesome!

GreatestUnKnown

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Bay Area CA.
I believe 5-6wraps of 32 ga. On a 1/16 in. Drill bit will give you close to 2.0 ohms. You really need to have some way to check the resistance prior to hooking up to a battery, especially if the battery is smaller than an 18350.

I agree with Wmmeese, my coils tend to be 6/7 wraps of 32 ga. Kanthal and come in from 2.0-2.2 depending on lead length, I vary because when the lead length is too short it will start to burn the insulators, too long it will short on the top cap, but I am using a T3S so my coil build area may be smaller than the PT(don't know cause I bought two T3S's and haven't had a need to buy any other clearos yet).

I have been trying to play with placing a kink on the kanthal approx. 1/8th of an inch away from the coil on the leads to see if that will allow for the coil to produce more heat before it transfers back down to the insulated portion on wire. Still new and only been at this for a month so YMMV.

P.S. I haven't jumped to cotton yet so I am still using 2mm EkoWool, single strand with no flavor wick. I find that if I don't constrict the wick when wrapping and I allow the ends to flare I get no flooding or gurgling.

Good Luck and keep Wrapping!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread