32ga nichrome for less than 2 ohm coil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

epetrillo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2012
Riverside, CA
I have a Penelope on the way and I am a little confused about wire. I have searched out this subject and found lots of info but it's still not clear to me so I need help. I have a fixed voltage mod at 3.7v (Super-T Precise+) I need my coils at 1.5 - 1.8 ohm. I am thinking that 34ga would have to be too short to achieve this kind of low resistance so I am guessing I will need 32ga. Am I correct? If not could someone please straighten me out? I see COV lists the pre-made wires (always out of stock) at 36ga with no other options which seems like it would't work with my low voltage device.

Last edited:

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
The lower the number of the gauge= the lower the resistance. It is possible to make a 1.5ohm coil with 36ga. With lower resistance wire, tho, you can get more surface area for fuller vapor. I hope this helps.

On a side note- The higher the number= the thinner the wire.

Last edited:

R53_Dave

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2012
USA
So what would be the best compromise between gauge and number of turns to get 1.5-1.8ohm coils? 32ga, 34ga, surely 36ga would't be the best choice?

I was getting 4 wraps around a triple wick with 32g wire (about 1.5 inchs of contact wire. 1 3/4inches if you count connections) and seeing 1.8ohms. 4-5 wraps seems about perfect on the GG wicks. The length is the issue here. Depending on how many wick pieces you end up using, 32g should be fine. If 1.5ish ohms is only 3 wraps with 32g, then a slightly longer 30g wire it is!

Shorter wire = less ohms. Lower gauge (thicker wire) = same thing. To get less ohms with the same length = thicker wire (lower number IE: 30g is thicker than 32g)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread