4000 cycle 21700?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I talked about it few weeks ago with an engineer, who told me, that if electric cars would have a "start-help" from a normal engine, they can raise the distance in almost 60% - 75%

My wife's new Ford Expedition has a transverse mounted engine that cuts off every time you stop for more than a few seconds. It's eery. I remember driving old clunker cars in my teens that would sometimes do that. I still cringe when hers does it. So far, in a year and a half it has yet not to crank when she lifts her foot off the brake. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Susaz

Roman81

May 24, 2019
Israel
Toyota works many years together with Panasonic, which is also Japanease and is the innovation leader on batteries (some say, Panasonic is the best manufacturer of batteries in the world).
I think that 2 main objectives make fully electric cars at this point not effiecient enough:
1. The weight, which is not only a matter of the weight of battery, but also all the safety components and devices that are implemented as well as all "luxury" devices etc.
2. Starting from 0 Km, which consume a lot of energy
I talked about it few weeks ago with an engineer, who told me, that if electric cars would have a "start-help" from a normal engine, they can raise the distance in almost 60% - 75%
and I agree with Mimöschen Hydrogen powered cars are more the future, than 100% battery powered cars...frankly speaking I don´t understand, why no one came up with an Hybrid system, that combine Diesel Motors and electric motor? Driving Diesel outside the cities is more environmental-friendly in comparison to gasoline.
Right now battery density allows for 250W per 1kg, the new Tesla\Maxwell tech will change it to 500W per 1kg in a few years so the battery pack weight will drop a lot or you'll have way more range, other components will get more efficient too and many other factors IMO make the EV the best solution we have right now and at least for the next 10 years because there is just no alternative for now.
I have a diesel pickup and i love it, i have full power at just 1800 rpm and it pulls like crazy don't remember the last time i went over 3500 rpm and it's using way less fuel then a petrol equivalent so i agree and been thinking the same thing why are there no diesel electric hybrids it really makes sense.
Hydrogen may be the future but it's a far future not just because of the tech but the infrastructure as well.

Last edited:

Robin Becker

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2018
Berlin
I think the main reason, why there is no Diesel Hybrid, is because many years the German manufacturer, who were leading in Diesel "sold" us, that Diesel is clean, effcient and environement friendly.
After being caught on lying, Diesel became unpopular. Instead of investing money into combining it with an electric motor for the inner cities, they all got scared and react like teen-agers, that were caught smoking on the high-school toilet :D
I don´t think Tesla will ever come to something more like a Nische car for reach people. But I do believe, that a combination of a city motor (electric one) for speeds up to 50 Kmh and Diesel Motor for the highways can be for the coming years the right solution.

• Agree
Reactions: mimöschen

Roman81

May 24, 2019
Israel
If you watch the automotive news most of the big car manufacturers are investing heavily in electric so obviously they believe there is a future for electric.
Tesla was just the first to realise it so now they have a big advantage over the rest.
I'm sure in a few years the other car manufacturers will catch up and maybe even surpass tesla but i do believe tesla is gonna become 1 of the bigger car manufacturers.
35000$ is not that much no need to be rich to buy a model 3.

• Agree
Reactions: AttyPops

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
The issue I think is that hydrogen and electric are so competitive that it comes down to individual innovations making a difference one way or another. Each has fundamental advantages and problems to overcome.

Electric has an advantage in that there is an efficient distribution system already in place. Any house can be a filling station. It has disadvantages as well. Filling is extremely slow. The cells use rare, flammable, and toxic materials, and they can weigh a lot.

Hydrogen is in a very differently shaped but similarly sized boat. Advantages: Filling is fast, and materials are abundant.
Disadvantages: fuel spontaneously sublimates, and worse it actually leaves the earth. Lost hydrogen does not come back. The distribution system is also largely non existent.
It sort of makes sense that Japan is going for hydrogen. They have an extremely small and tightly packed country where creating a new distribution system is fairly efficient.

The most efficient system is one we won’t get, and one that has been available for a very long time: directly electrified public transportation. Europe and Japan do it with trains already. The US used to have such in cities but it was deliberately removed by automobile interests in the 1930s. Attempting to restore it is extremely slow and difficult going, and may never fully succeed.

Reactions: AttyPops

Roman81

May 24, 2019
Israel

Many of the electric issues have been solved already and the rest will be improved in the near future that's why i'm saying it's the best solution we have, not perfect or ideal but that's what we have.
Hydrogen is a great tech and i'm sure there will be hydrogen fueled cars in the not so far future but not in the near future not in any meaningful scale.
Subway is an electrified public transportation system that almost all major cities have and yes if it works as it's supposed to it's very convenient and efficient but street lvl electrified public transportation is not that good, some cities have them and i'm sorry to tell you that most of the time it's not very good.

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
If you watch the automotive news most of the big car manufacturers are investing heavily in electric so obviously they believe there is a future for electric.
Tesla was just the first to realise it so now they have a big advantage over the rest.
I'm sure in a few years the other car manufacturers will catch up and maybe even surpass tesla but i do believe tesla is gonna become 1 of the bigger car manufacturers.
35000$ is not that much no need to be rich to buy a model 3.
Japanese companies like Toyota, btw the largest manufacturer of vehicles worldwide, Nissan and Honda invest heavily in fuel cell technology instead of electric motorization. So they obviously believe there is an even brighter future for hydrogen fuelled cars.;)

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Japanese companies like Toyota, btw the largest manufacturer of vehicles worldwide, Nissan and Honda invest heavily in fuel cell technology instead of electric motorization. So they obviously believe there is an even brighter future for hydrogen fuelled cars.;)
Time will tell. The two systems remain competitive for the time being. Japanese auto makers all make vehicles for their local market first, just like every other nation. Japan as a nation appears to be committing to hydrogen. Both systems are getting better quickly.

• Agree
Reactions: Roman81

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Any one who want to understand, why the Japanease are way a head of us in future thinking can read Peter Drucker: Peter Drucker - Wikipedia
Roman81 - the reason, why European manufacturer invest so much time and money into fully electric cars is a 16 years old swedish girl from Sweden: Greta Thunberg – Wikipedia :D
One of Your links in German and appears to be different than the English version. My German is at best miserable so I can’t tell in what way they are different. The version in English is Greta Thunberg - Wikipedia

Drucker iirc, unless I am thinking of a different economist, was made American ambassador to Japan at one point and was instrumental in shaping Japanese business. There’s even a medal there that is given out with his face on it.

I would argue that the concept that they “the Japanese” are way ahead of “us” whoever exactly that is, is a matter of opinion.

Japan and Europe are vastly different places with vastly different situations and limitations, and both are equally different from North America.

• Agree
Reactions: Roman81

Robin Becker

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2018
Berlin
Japan and Europe are vastly different places with vastly different situations and limitations, and both are equally different from North America.

I agree with you. At least in Germany we have around 30% of the people (the left party and the green party voters), that believe, that prosperity can not work with the new liberal ideology of Milton Friedmann.
It is a growing group in the society, mainly young people, who are willing to share property, in order to get a higher fairness in the society. Keeping the environement is a new facet of this kind of new way to live together.
And those people (I am among them) ask themself, what is environement friendliest using an electric car, or taking the train? and if the infrastructure of public transportation is good enough and cheap, no electric car can compete it. And if we have safe infrastructure for bikes in the city, we can use bikes and eBikes instead of cars.

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greta_Thunberg

I would argue that the concept that they “the Japanese” are way ahead of “us” whoever exactly that is, is a matter of opinion.
You're right. What started under the presidency of G.W Bush has become even more clear since the election of Donald Trump. There is no "us" anymore, because the U.S is seen as an oppressive force that conducts aggressive wars for more than dubious reasons rather than being an democratic ally.
Mistakes have been made on both sides of the pond for sure, but the actual trade war between the U.S and its former democratic partners in the Nato boils down to one sad truth.
The U.S industry isn't capable of offering anything of worth to the worldmarket anymore except for two things. Weapons and agricultural products.
We as allies don't need either, so the U.S has begun to create markets for its only exports and acts as a warmonger that joyfully watches as the world burns.
Well done.:thumb:

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
While the pharma industry might be competitive by international standards, when it comes to copyright violations and outright extortion, the U.S is worldleader for sure. Bayer holds a patent for an Anthrax cure. When those nasty little letters with that funny white powder were delivered in the States after 9/11, Bayer contacted the government about their vaccine and its cost. Long story short, the government refused to pay the actual marketprice, threatened to shut down Bayer's business in the U.S and violated the law by revoking the copyright.
Nice move from a country that wants to make us believe it's the epitome of freedom and democracy. Perhaps we should act the same with U.S pharma companies.

By services you mean financial services I guess. I don't know if it's a sign of a competitive economy, when the same companies that recklessly squandered the wealth of many, can continue the way they did before the crash of 2007, where millions of U.S citizens not only lost their jobs and homes but in the end even had to pay the enormous bill for those companies. The rules of the free market, that the U.S declares at every opportunity possible, say otherwise.

When it comes to IT everybody points to Silicon Valley as the epitome of technology.
That may still be true for pure research, but when it comes to actual production and economic value added, the U.S is a dead market.
Let's take Apple as an example. The company has opened up a factory to produce Iphones in the States.
What at first seemed to be an overwhelming success for the U.S as a tech-oriented country, because it showed that it's possible to manufacture competitive products outside China and Southeast Asia, soon turned into a complete desaster.
Not that the factory itself is too expensive, or the wages of its employees are too high to be competitive, aside from the fact that a fully automated assembly line doesn't need that much employees in the first place, but the factory just can't produce at full capacity, because of the extremely large deficits in the supply lines. The U.S industry just isn't capable of delivering critical components in the quantities that are actually needed.

Robin Becker

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2018
Berlin
I can´t contradict you, but when I look at Dow-Jones & S&P 500 I can still see many industrial companies:
IT f.e:
Intel, Cisco, Microsoft, IBM, google, Qualcom etc.
pharmaceutical industry f.e:
Pfizer, Merck, Elly-Lilly etc.
Consum:
Coca-Cola, Mcdonals, Nike, Johnson & Johnson, P & G, Amazon, eBay etc.
Industry:
3M, GE, Caterpilar, John-Deer etc.
You can find on every company most probably some stories, no daubt, but...at least in Germany some of those companies give Thousends of people working places and are important part of our prosperity. Yes, we still have problems within the EU with some companies who pay hardly any taxes on income...one President can not destroy almost 70 years of strong partnership and friendship between the "old continent" and the U.S.A

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Silicon Valley is in the spot light only because of the juggernaut companies that reside there that were at the forefront of technology decades ago. They have become household names therefore in the public view they are leaders of tech. However, Silicon Valley is no longer a leader in innovation (to an extent). Companies such as Apple, Google, Cisco and M$ are in a position to consume innovative companies rather than compete against them. They slap their branding on new tech they just purchased and call it their own.

It was Foxconn that opened a factory in the US to which would have cater to many tech companies and not just Apple. In the public’s eye, Foxconn is nothing more than an OEM manufacture, but that is far from the truth. They are also a technology partner that vastly contributes to the design and innovation of the latest and greatest tech trends. An iPhone is just as much a Foxconn design as it is Apple.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
While the pharma industry might be competitive by international standards, when it comes to copyright violations and outright extortion, the U.S is worldleader for sure. Bayer holds a patent for an Anthrax cure. When those nasty little letters with that funny white powder were delivered in the States after 9/11, Bayer contacted the government about their vaccine and its cost. Long story short, the government refused to pay the actual marketprice, threatened to shut down Bayer's business in the U.S and violated the law by revoking the copyright.
Nice move from a country that wants to make us believe it's the epitome of freedom and democracy. Perhaps we should act the same with U.S pharma companies.

By services you mean financial services I guess. I don't know if it's a sign of a competitive economy, when the same companies that recklessly squandered the wealth of many, can continue the way they did before the crash of 2007, where millions of U.S citizens not only lost their jobs and homes but in the end even had to pay the enormous bill for those companies. The rules of the free market, that the U.S declares at every opportunity possible, say otherwise.

When it comes to IT everybody points to Silicon Valley as the epitome of technology.
That may still be true for pure research, but when it comes to actual production and economic value added, the U.S is a dead market.
Let's take Apple as an example. The company has opened up a factory to produce Iphones in the States.
What at first seemed to be an overwhelming success for the U.S as a tech-oriented country, because it showed that it's possible to manufacture competitive products outside China and Southeast Asia, soon turned into a complete desaster.
Not that the factory itself is too expensive, or the wages of its employees are too high to be competitive, aside from the fact that a fully automated assembly line doesn't need that much employees in the first place, but the factory just can't produce at full capacity, because of the extremely large deficits in the supply lines. The U.S industry just isn't capable of delivering critical components in the quantities that are actually needed.
Bayer is titually german. Though really it’s more of a multinational which has more or less transcended nationality. A lot of the big companies are these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread