510 atty for 5v box mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

dperino

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Aurora, Colorado
hi. i tried emailing but received a daemon message on both tries, so i hope using the forum is acceptable.

i vape on a 5v 510 box mod and am trying to get the most out of it. i bought some attys a couple of months back that didn't work out and joyetec attys seem to short out the mod. you have a wide range of attys for the 510 and was hoping to get some advice on which might work best with my mod. i'm down to one, the joye, and have had to return to using a regular 510 until stocking up, which i plan on doing asap. can you help a brother out?

dperino

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Aurora, Colorado
hi, and thank you. i don't remember where i purchased the mod but most of the attys (including the joye?) may be around 2-2.5 ohm. perhaps lower, i'm not entirely sure. i was thinking to go up to 3.5 ohm, hoping this would take care of the problem until purchasing a new mod. thanks again.

oops. i should point out that the non-joye attys worked great but were inconsistent in terms of quality (a couple burned out on first try). thanks again.

Last edited:

Iken

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
PA,USA
Hello!
You know, I see that Daemon message from 2 other clients as well.
Ofcourse using the forum is acceptable! That's what it's here for :)
Alright, so your box mod is killing atties. I can recommend atomizer's to you, but not till we find out whats the problem. by the track record it sounds even you keep buying more, they're going to keep popping.

Do you have a multi-meter at all? multimeter - Google Search
With this tool we can actually see if the atomizers are indeed dead or if the connection is just being lost.

Take a look at a few of the victims on the bottom side. Do the center pins look as if they have been pushed in?
38a78c2b.jpg

this is where I'm referring to.
If these appear to be pushed in. Your unit's adapter may be the culprit and we just need to get it lowered a bit.

If they look fine, then it can be the actual center pin on the adapter making contact with the inner threads on the adapter causing the short. Since this is a box mod, the problem may not lie in the adapter itself, but just to be on the safe side, try to eye it up to ensure that the pin on the unit looks to be centered and is not making any contact with the inner threads.

If you can, open it up and try to verify that the wiring is all kept separate and that there are no metal components really showing and/or movable. You want the device to be rock solid, giving it no wiggle room what so ever. Let's continue after your replay of taking the necessary steps good buddy. We'll root out the problem here before you make anymore investments.

dperino

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Aurora, Colorado
switched. i read the info you provided concerning attys in a previous thread here. many thanks! i think a couple of my concerns have been cleared up and will try the ikv 3.5. it may be time to purchase a new mod but i haven't gotten to use the one i have for very long so i'd prefer giving it a fair chance with a better quality atty. all my best :)

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
FWIW my friend, I use the 3.5s on my 5V box mod (home made) Reg attys (2.2Ohm) will work but there life expectancy will be greatly reduced.

Issac is right wrt check your centre posts on both attys and box connection as well as inside box. That is usually the culprit. The post needs to be aligned (centre) and you must be able to see the silicone gasket. The centre post on the atty should be protruding just a bit, but definitely not pushed up. When tightened on the batt, it should be just snug. If you compress the silicone gasket (read thin) the centre post will make contact with the case and short everything out.

dperino

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Aurora, Colorado
thanks to the both of you! in checking all victims there doesn't appear to be anything amiss. center posts also seem to be ok but my eye sight, even with glasses, is ka-ka. i assume the gasket referred to sits atop of the post in the adapter, as this seems to be the case for those in the 510 batteries. the mod adapter is covered in something that i believe keeps it stationary so i can't check the wire connections.

luckily, i found a new atty (not a joye) and the mod is working fine for the moment. tried the joye atty again and the unit shorted out. i understand attys are subject to quality (i don't know who manufactured the non-joye's) and also how the end user operates the unit, so maybe i'm doing something wrong?

anyway, i think i'll go ahead and purchase a few ikv 3.5s, a multimeter and save up for a new 5v mod. thanks again :)

Last edited:

Iken

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
PA,USA
thanks to the both of you! in checking all victims there doesn't appear to be anything amiss. center posts also seem to be ok but my eye sight, even with glasses, is ka-ka. i assume the gasket referred to sits atop of the post in the adapter, as this seems to be the case for those in the 510 batteries. the mod adapter is covered in something that i believe keeps it stationary so i can't check the wire connections.

luckily, i found a new atty (not a joye) and the mod is working fine for the moment. tried the joye atty again and the unit shorted out. i understand attys are subject to quality (i don't know who manufactured the non-joye's) and also how the end user operates the unit, so maybe i'm doing something wrong?

anyway, i think i'll go ahead and purchase a few ikv 3.5s, a multimeter and save up for a new 5v mod. thanks again :)
Ah ha! Take a look at those two atties up close, even with the glasses! Let's see if those 2 have the same length in the threadings. Maybe the Joye is slightly longer and is pushing that center pin to the side or is just plain out larger, which is very odd as Joye's are known to be smaller than other name brands. Does your joye have stamps on the bottom? a Multimeter is a Great tool to have, with it you can determine if the atty is just cutting out or if it's dead.
Switcher is right on, the 2.2's life will definitely be drastically reduced on higher voltages. He would never steer anyone wrong. ;)

Iken

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
PA,USA

dperino

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Aurora, Colorado
sorry it's taken some time to return to this thread, but the problem appears to have been resolved and had nothing to do with a short or the attys; it's the battery charger. apparently it can't handle charging more than one battery. no biggie. however i do need to thank switched and iken for helping out and look forward to ordering many products from iken in the future. also, thanks so much for processing my order so quickly, iken. i love how you do business :) all the best.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
sorry it's taken some time to return to this thread, but the problem appears to have been resolved and had nothing to do with a short or the attys; it's the battery charger. apparently it can't handle charging more than one battery. no biggie. however i do need to thank switched and iken for helping out and look forward to ordering many products from iken in the future. also, thanks so much for processing my order so quickly, iken. i love how you do business :) all the best.

In that case because you use your batteries "stacked" in series, I would strongly recommend you get a charger that can charge them as a set, since they are being used as a set.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ikenvape/118964-Battery-faq.html

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada

Based on this and since you are using your batteries "stacked" in series, I would recommend buying another charger since the batteries are used as a set, they should be charged as a set.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ikenvape/118964-switcheds-battery-faq.html

HzG8rGrl

Trippy Tip Hoarder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2009
*The Swamp*
www.youtube.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread