Not open for further replies.

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
I would class myself as a heavy vaper.
I've been rotating 4 batts for almost 2 months. If I only vape on the 510 in the course of a day I'll change batts 4 times easily. Charge time doesn't seem to have changed dramatically in this time span. 1 1/2 hr to charge approx.

Oh yeah. Death. None have died yet but 1 is questionable

wegster

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 10, 2009
    NC
    It depends on on the user, and if they want a cigarette sized/somewhat looking device (510), or as some so nicely put it, 'a crack pipe looking thing, with a button' :D

Sometimes, they're complementary - use the SD/GG/prodigy/? at home or in car, grab a 510 kit for at work, club/bar, etc.

All of the 'mods' are really nothing 'special.' By that, I'm not taking anything away from them, but they all re-use existing e-cig atomizers, and are simply a power source mod, although usually part of that is *much* cheaper replacement batteries. When it's said and done, they do one of 3 things.
    1. Provide a manual switch, which you may or may not have had before, depending on the atty used on the 'mod.'
    2. Always provide longer battery run-time, from the JS at 380mAh (around double, or at least 100mAh longer than a KR808D1 battery..but also provides a USB passthrough for charging in place, which is nice), to up to ~1000mAh and up. This also provides 'new battery consistency' for a much longer period, but at the same voltage, from a fresh charged good battery, shouldn't be a significant change for the first few hits, until the original e-cig battery starts discharging..consistency is nice, as is battery runtime.
    3. Some increase voltage as well. Higher voltage in general = uses more juice, produces more vapor, *may* result in shorter atomizer life. Some report flavor loss at higher voltages, and others report *better* atomizer life (likely due to burning up ot the deposits). Likely depends on the combination of voltage *and* atty - I think some work better at higher voltage than others. No one knows if any of the inhaled or exhaled vapor's ingredients are altered at higher voltages (such as acrolein production, etc).

I think if GG had a 5v model, I'd be all over it, myself. Am looking at the Prodigy as well, and JS v2 and the Cameo when it comes out. The greatlakes vapor new device looks interesting as well.

STILLSMOK9

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 22, 2009
    Esoteric State of America
    It depends on on the user, and if they want a cigarette sized/somewhat looking device (510), or as some so nicely put it, 'a crack pipe looking thing, with a button' :D

Sometimes, they're complementary - use the SD/GG/prodigy/? at home or in car, grab a 510 kit for at work, club/bar, etc.

All of the 'mods' are really nothing 'special.' By that, I'm not taking anything away from them, but they all re-use existing e-cig atomizers, and are simply a power source mod, although usually part of that is *much* cheaper replacement batteries. When it's said and done, they do one of 3 things.
    1. Provide a manual switch, which you may or may not have had before, depending on the atty used on the 'mod.'
    2. Always provide longer battery run-time, from the JS at 380mAh (around double, or at least 100mAh longer than a KR808D1 battery..but also provides a USB passthrough for charging in place, which is nice), to up to ~1000mAh and up. This also provides 'new battery consistency' for a much longer period, but at the same voltage, from a fresh charged good battery, shouldn't be a significant change for the first few hits, until the original e-cig battery starts discharging..consistency is nice, as is battery runtime.
    3. Some increase voltage as well. Higher voltage in general = uses more juice, produces more vapor, *may* result in shorter atomizer life. Some report flavor loss at higher voltages, and others report *better* atomizer life (likely due to burning up ot the deposits). Likely depends on the combination of voltage *and* atty - I think some work better at higher voltage than others. No one knows if any of the inhaled or exhaled vapor's ingredients are altered at higher voltages (such as acrolein production, etc).

I think if GG had a 5v model, I'd be all over it, myself. Am looking at the Prodigy as well, and JS v2 and the Cameo when it comes out. The greatlakes vapor new device looks interesting as well.
    Very practical, objective information!!

Thanks

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2009
    Louisiana
    I have been using my first 510 for 3 months. I am a heavy user and the batteries get at least 5 charges per day. The first set of batteries are just now showing signs of weakening. Because of the manual batteries allow me to make 5 to 6 second drags this really puts a big load on the batteries. Vaping the way that I do, I usually only get 1 to 1.5 hours on a battery. If I were to vape the 510 like a 901 the batteries would last much longer.

If there is any weakness in the 510 I would have to say that the batteries are underpowered. I'm hoping that they make a 510 version of the Janty Stick. Until then I am going to make a stronger battery myself. I don't regret buying my 510's, I have bought 5 starter sets.

Kevin

abandonhope16

ECF Veteran
    Jun 8, 2009
    I haven't been able to confirm yet. But I would assume the PCC will take roughly the same 45 minutes as the wall charger. So if you have a battery on the charger and alternate with the fully charged one as needed, then that should last you all day.
    I vape like I smoked, so only a few times during the work day and the battery lasts a couple days. Maybe 10 times a day on the weekend and the battery lasts a day.

question how long does it take a 510 bat to charge using the PCC? ie will the second bat run out before the first is charged?

Simply put if you have the 510 and the PCC can you go all day with 2 batteries?

The PCC (or wall charger, either one) will recharge my 1st battery before the 2nd one I'm using is dead.

Can't answer your second question because I have 3 batts in rotation. With 3 and PCC, I can go a long long time, definitely all day, and I'm a heavy vaper. I would bet I could make it all day with 2 batteries and the PCC tho.

I've noticed with my PCC that if I store a fully charged battery in the PCC, it seems to wear down the charge of the PCC faster than if I put a battery in to charge and take it out when it's recharged and store it somewhere else. Did that make any sense? :p Has anyone else noticed that with their PCC?

abandonhope16

ECF Veteran
    Jun 8, 2009
    I've noticed with my PCC that if I store a fully charged battery in the PCC, it seems to wear down the charge of the PCC faster than if I put a battery in to charge and take it out when it's recharged and store it somewhere else. Did that make any sense? :p Has anyone else noticed that with their PCC?

Once a battery is full charged, it should be removed from the charging device; whether that is the PCC or wall charger.
    I havent tried it yet to see if it fits, but consider turning the battery upside (LED) down in the PCC once fully charged. That way you can still store the battery without causing discharging.

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
    ECF Veteran
    May 28, 2009
    Sesame Street
    Agreed. I think I made that as an addendum to my review of the PCC case. Once the bat is charged, you need to take it out. If you store batteries in the case, the case's battery runs down. It doesn't stop sending charge when the battery is at full capacity.

And yes, it takes about as long to charge a bat in the case as it does to charge one in a wall or USB charger.

The PCC really makes the 510 a serviceable device. If it wasn't for the PCC, the battery life on the 510 would be a serious problem.

Taylor

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 3, 2009
    York, PA
    Simply put if you have the 510 and the PCC can you go all day with 2 batteries?
    Yes. I leave the house at about 4:30 and return home around 7:30 (15 hours later) I take the PCC with 2 batts and I'm good all day. I need to swap batts every 1.5 to 3 hours and have zero battery problems. I do bring the PCC charger tho, just in case.

martha1014

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2009
    Delhi, LA USA
    I purchased 3 510 starter kits. First one of the chargers quit working so I sent it back for replacement. Now the other two don't work properly. I charged then all night and the light was green but when I took them out they were still dead. I changed batteries thinking they must not be any good but they did the same thing. I emailed Totally Wicked today.

Has anybody had this problem or am I doing something wrong.

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2009
    Louisiana
    I wonder if anyone else has noticed this issue with the new 510 batteries, the ones with the bigger manual switch. I may be wrong but I think that my 1st 2 Yeti kits, shorter switches, the battery after a charge lasted longer than these newer batteries do. In fact one of my older batteries will last longer than these newer batteries and it has several hundred charges on it. I have 2 new kits with these new batteries and they all have the same shorter life per charge.

Maybe this is what some of these newer users are noticing?

Kevin

Robert

Moved On
    Jun 18, 2009
    San Diego, CA.
    Agreed. I think I made that as an addendum to my review of the PCC case. Once the bat is charged, you need to take it out. If you store batteries in the case, the case's battery runs down. It doesn't stop sending charge when the battery is at full capacity.

And yes, it takes about as long to charge a bat in the case as it does to charge one in a wall or USB charger.

The PCC really makes the 510 a serviceable device. If it wasn't for the PCC, the battery life on the 510 would be a serious problem.

I did not find this to be true.

I let my PCC charge a battery then let the battery sit in the PCC for an hour after the red light went. Then I took the battery out of the pcc put it on the wall charger and the wall charger did not start charging it? If what you said were true the PCC wouldn't be very usefull. You might have a bad PCC?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread