510 - Why oh, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baranox

Verified Member
Jul 15, 2013
Indiana
Why do so many clearomizers and tanks use 510 threads instead of the ego type threading?

The 510 seem so much more prone to stripping treads. The ego threads, being larger and having more surface area, are more resistant to stripping it would seem. I havent tried the EVODs yet, but am bound to have to spend the money to get a few as 510 threaded tanks seem to strip ego battery threads, even though Im careful not to over-tighten them or handle them roughly. I only tighten them enough to make electrical contact.

Sorry for the mild rant, if it seems as such..

Last edited:

Leithan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2013
Fort Irwin
There is no way that a chunk of threaded metal sticking out of a mod is stronger then a one piece top cap. Look at the top cap on a provari or high end mech, having an EGO thread would just increase overall length and make for a weaker device. There's just not a big enough selection of vape devices that use an EGO thread to get worked up over it.

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
And on cue, a provari apologist appears!

to the OP -- IMO it's because the vamo screwed up ego threading. If they had gotten it right, ego threading would be a lot more popular today, seriously. But they screwed it up and kanger ego devices don't work on the vamo despite being able to be screwed in. That gave rise to a need for flat-bottomed tanks to work with APVs whether or not they had ego threading or did it in a way that worked. The vamo was a groundbreaking device, its popularity drove market trends.

Last edited:

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
oh stop, all the vamo did was make the other mods lower their prices. ego has been around a lot longer then the vamo wich was introduced in oct/nov last year and didnt get any popularity until 4-5 months ago.. and the 510 was around before that. many mods especially mechanical makers could care less about ego.

if your looking at who brought the ego into popularity, that would be joyetech/Ovale as on an ego battery the ego threading worked out quit nicely but at the time the 808 901 and 510 were dominant. and joye decided to incorporate the two the popular 510 and their own proprietary EGO. if this was any other type of product where copyrights and trademarks existed you would only be able to buy joye/Ovale produced or licensed ego products.
the question could also be asked if ego is so great why do all ego batteries also carry a 510?

from their perspective they are looking at the ego battery as the most popular battery in the world so why wouldnt companies produce products that fit it?
even the vamo has ego now. but 510 was first and is considered the universal standard now, as such many many more products are made to 510 so this is why mod makers worry about this first.

Last edited:

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
Point_over_your_head.jpg

the OP's talking about tank-style clearomizers, which are a fairly recent trend. These pair with full-size regulated APVs, of which the vamo is the most popular.

Last edited:

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
the question was
Why do so many clearomizers and tanks use 510 threads instead of the ego type threading?

the answer is
because its a proprietary threading that showed up late to the party and is popular with one companies product..

what point exactly am i missing ?

most of the ego devices are being designed to work on the worlds most popular battery nothing more. lol

talking about tank-style clearomizers, which are a fairly recent trend. These pair with full-size regulated APVs, of which the vamo is the most popular. :blink: umm ok lol

Last edited:

cricketmonster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2013
Sharpsburg, GA
Compatibility, understood. But why has this become the standard to be compatible with?

Maybe it is my one of my best vaping tanks - a ismoka BCC Mega..

Anyone else have trouble with their BCC Mega stripping threads too?

I've got a couple iSmoka BCC Mega tanks with 510 threading and have used them on Twists, Spinners and iTaste VV. They are by far my favorite tanks. I've had no issues with stripping threads (so far, anyway). I also use the iSmoka mini' s quite often, but those are E-Go threaded... and again, no issues (yet).

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Compatibility, understood. But why has this become the standard to be compatible with?

Because it was a standard long before eGo threading came along.

Keep in mind that the only point to eGo threading was entirely decorative when it first appeared. Joyetech was already using 510 to make electrical connections. When they came up with the much larger diameter eGo battery something was needed to bridge between the smaller 510 atomizers in use to the larger battery. Thus the eGo "cone cover" was born. The only "need" eGo threading fulfilled at the time was to screw on an esthetically pleasing cone cover to bridge the difference in size between the 510 atty and the now much larger diameter battery.

Last edited:

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Lemme guess ... you think the provari is the most popular APV? :facepalm:

and along comes the provari haters to try and prove a useless point.

umm no smart guy, i personally would think the ego the lavatube and the silver bullet the most popular. it wasnt long ago when there was no zmax, vmax. vamo or much of anything..

I always see your start date and wonder why your so out of the loop and clueless sometimes...... tank clearomizers a recent trend? where have you been hiding? lol

we know you hate provari users you have made this quite clear but show me a post where i state the provari is the best modz eva! before insinuating im another fanboy.

Last edited:

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
I don't hate the provari. It's a good mod. Provari users on the other hand, are something else. Kind of like apple users, but I think these days the truth has been a bit hard to deny.

have a look at the subforum activity. those mods have been around for years and still the vamo alone has generated more activity in less than a year of existence. price point is a HUGE deal and when you couple that with an advanced featureset (VW) ... the value proposition was irresistible. I think you gravely underestimate what market share the vamo grabbed when it came online. there's a reason the 33hz chip has proliferated so massively.

the lavatube has always been overpriced. i'm not sure the ego is a valid comparison here, i'm talking about regulated APVs specifically. the regular unregulated ego is really not an APV anymore.

The modern tank style clearomizer has not been a big trend until the vivi nova.

Leithan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2013
Fort Irwin
And on cue, a provari apologist appears!

to the OP -- IMO it's because the vamo screwed up ego threading. If they had gotten it right, ego threading would be a lot more popular today, seriously. But they screwed it up and kanger ego devices don't work on the vamo despite being able to be screwed in. That gave rise to a need for flat-bottomed tanks to work with APVs whether or not they had ego threading or did it in a way that worked. The vamo was a groundbreaking device, its popularity drove market trends.

I mentioned it merely because of the one piece top cap/integrated connector. That's cool though, haters will hate. I guess I'm also a Poldiac, Atmizoo, Super T, Reo, Atmomixani, Gus, Paps, GG........well pretty much every high end Mod manufactured apologist.

Last edited:

nickj83

Verified Member
Aw damn, you went and compared a provari to apple? I hate apple fans. I guess i gotta ditch my provari :laugh: I broke my pocket to get a provari and i still love it 5 months later. All this hate makes me feel like a bad person or an idiot for buying a provari. Worked hard to save the money for it. I feel its a great mod for people that have a bit extra cash that are moving up from ego's. Just my opinion.

Leithan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2013
Fort Irwin
I get what your saying OP, I don't think the 510 is all that great either. something larger that allowed for a larger center pin and a lot more meat in the connection area would be more ideal. The 510 is so universally used though, it's going to be a while till we see an improved connector I think. A few companies have tried (GG) but there's just too many devices utilizing the 510.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread