Why a mechanical mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

badbadivy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2013
Murfreesboro, TN
Y'all, I'm poor like whoa. So I shouldn't be looking at all the pretty, pretty mods but of course, I am anyway. I see the point in getting a mod, it seems to me they would be more durable plus the batteries for them appear to be much cheaper to replace than having to replace an eGo battery.

But why would you want to choose a mechanical mod vs something like a Vamo? What is the best way to go when you are on a serious budget? Is there some advantage of a mechanical that you can't get with a mod like a Vamo or a Provari (which I can only admire from afar, lol).

sllanham

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
Martinsburg,Wv
For me the reason I use a mechanical mod (EA MOD and , Legacy) is because I use a rebuildable atomizer. It works on the provari but not at low ohms. Another reason is because it's user serviceable. I don't need to send it to anyone if for some reason it's not working. I can just go to the local hardware store and most likely find what I need to repair it. I started with an unregulated mod (smoktech bolt), then got a provari and then I got hooked on RBA's after trying one. Figured I'd better pick up a mechanical for it so I got the legacy. Now I've added the EA MOD and honestly I prefer the mechanicals. If you're going to use a carto tank they are ok, you just need to stick to 2.0 ohm carts or lower. Same with any juice delivery system I suppose. I've tried a few (carts, vivi nova's, and RBA's) and I prefer the RBA. A mechanical mod works best in my opinion with them. The provari would work with a good coil and wick set-up but the mechanical just works better in my opinion. Well, that's my 2 cents. Hope it helped.

Bosco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
San Antonio
A mechanical mod could last virtually forever . .but only if you get a high quality one. I think it depends on what sort of device you want to use. For my money . .nothing is better/cheaper than an ego twist and a Kanger t3 . .you can get up and running with variable voltage for $40-45 including a charger.

If you take a long view . .you can save a lot of $$ by getting a good quality mech mod and a rebuildable tank or atty. You'll spend more upfront, though. It would probably take a couple of years to get to the point where you've saved substantially over the ego set up.

tidegirl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2011
Panama City, FL
A mechanical mod could last virtually forever . .but only if you get a high quality one. I think it depends on what sort of device you want to use. For my money . .nothing is better/cheaper than an ego twist and a Kanger t3 . .you can get up and running with variable voltage for $40-45 including a charger.

If you take a long view . .you can save a lot of $$ by getting a good quality mech mod and a rebuildable tank or atty. You'll spend more upfront, though. It would probably take a couple of years to get to the point where you've saved substantially over the ego set up.
My ego that died after 2 months of use would beg to differ. :p

Badbadivy, IDK about the difference in a mechanical mod vs any other kind, but Notcigs have the Buzz Pro on sale. Infinity Pro is also on sale, but they are sold out except maybe a few blemished ones left on the shelf. They are top quality, built in the US, long lasting mods. :)

Centurion

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2011
East Coast USA
RBAs are supercheap. It's only that barrier of unfamiliarity that has kept me and many others from jumping into it yet. The cost to get into it is under ten bucks for an entry level unit and under thirty for a more or less good quality one. Really nice ones will cost you a hundred and thirty or more but they all share the same design (and flaws) as the eight to thirty dollar ones which are spoken of here often.

IntelligentDesigner

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2013
Raleigh, NC
This is all really interesting. Off to read about RBAs though I suspect that is way way out of my price range. Still, a girl can dream!!

You can get an AGA T+ or a SmokTech RSST for about $30 give or take a few. And you can get a cheap mechanical for a few bucks more. RBAs and mechanicals are more or less for the experimenting and tinkering vaper in my opinion. The average vaper would be fine with a VV device and a clearo/carto tank. Either way, you'll probably wind up spending about the same amount of money.

If you have a bit of mechanical aptitude and really want to play around to find a really strong vape, I'd recommend a mechanical with an RBA. If you like ease of use, VV capability, and just want an easy-to-achieve good vapor, I'd recommend a VV device with any number of different atty types.

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
Seeing as how I'm not planning on ever making a coil below 1.5 ohms and I prefer a consistent vape from start to finish, I do not plan on getting a mechanical mod. Regulated vaping just seems so much better IMO.
Vaping a 1 ohm coil on a mechanical mod means that starting out (4.2V) you're vaping at ~17.5 watts; by the end (3.6V) you're vaping at 13 watts. With my all-day-vape juice, if I vary the power by ~0.5-1 watt either way the taste goes to crap.

badbadivy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2013
Murfreesboro, TN
I'm mechanically inclined...ish. I'm much more of a plumber than an electrician, however. The RBAs are a little daunting to me, yet infinitely fascinating. I think I'm going to take this one step at a time. Working on my DIY-iness at the moment. Next will likely be the wonderful world of tinkering with RBAs, lol.

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Tripple digits half way to home
Let me ask this though- those of you who have tried many devices across the board- what makes your juice taste the best?

No one can tell you what makes "YOUR" juice taste the best. IMHO it's all way to subjective to the individual that is vaping it.
I had the pleasure of owning quit a few mods. Everything from a 400mah eGo mini to a Provari. I've got straight mechanical mods, VV/VW mods, just VV mods, etc etc. The great thing about a straight mechanical has already been stated. You can get parts to repair it from a local hardware store on some of them.. For the mechanical I have to recomend the Puresmoker Legacy
LEGACY [USA]
When the week ends I'll have three of them. A mini (18350), A mini with extension sleeve (able to use a 18490 or a 18350 and a kick), And then the 18650 model. If you get one and also buy a kick you can turn it into a VW mod. All in one package.

Schnarph

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Dripping Springs, TX
If you are as broke as I am, check out the PUCK. It doesn't get much cheaper than that. Altoids box mods are pretty simple and also very cheap.
My basic Ego setup is OK for now, but when it dies I will be SOL. If you have some kinda thick scrap metal or tubes, and tools like I do, you could buy some batteries, a charger, and build your own. I spend a good bit of time reading the modding forum, because I can barely afford juice right now and building a mod myself sounds like fun. Since I am going to need some Li-Ion batteries and a charger for any decent self made mod, I am going to get a Vamo for $40 to $50 as soon as I can to keep me happy while I build my own. If you're thinking what I'm thinking, MadVapes has switches and 510 (or other size) connectors for pretty cheap. Then you will only need an RBA, some go as cheap as $10. I'm not trying to change your mind about buying a mechanical mod, but if you feel confident with your own building skills why not make your own?
Personally, I have replaced blown capacitors on a few PC motherboards, so building a mod does not scare me at all. Whatever you decide, good luck!

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Tripple digits half way to home
If you are as broke as I am, check out the PUCK. It doesn't get much cheaper than that. Altoids box mods are pretty simple and also very cheap.
My basic Ego setup is OK for now, but when it dies I will be SOL. If you have some kinda thick scrap metal or tubes, and tools like I do, you could buy some batteries, a charger, and build your own. I spend a good bit of time reading the modding forum, because I can barely afford juice right now and building a mod myself sounds like fun. Since I am going to need some Li-Ion batteries and a charger for any decent self made mod, I am going to get a Vamo for $40 to $50 as soon as I can to keep me happy while I build my own. If you're thinking what I'm thinking, MadVapes has switches and 510 (or other size) connectors for pretty cheap. Then you will only need an RBA, some go as cheap as $10. I'm not trying to change your mind about buying a mechanical mod, but if you feel confident with your own building skills why not make your own?
Personally, I have replaced blown capacitors on a few PC motherboards, so building a mod does not scare me at all. Whatever you decide, good luck!

When you get your mod built I'd love to see some pictures of it. Notice I didn't say if you get it built. You sound very determined and have enough knowledge to do it. I really hope you do and get us some pics.

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
Ivy, if you look in the PIF forum there is a contest thread there, it is where members list contests the different vendors are having. Yes I know it is a long shot, but I am in the same boat you are, I couldn't afford a good set up, but thanks to the wonderful vendors here at ECF I won both my iHybrid and my GG Stealth.

Schnarph

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Dripping Springs, TX
When you get your mod built I'd love to see some pictures of it. Notice I didn't say if you get it built. You sound very determined and have enough knowledge to do it. I really hope you do and get us some pics.
Money/income is the obstacle. Nobody will hire me, thanks to my stupidity 20 years ago, if you know what I mean. I have been on the fence over selling my only running motorcycle (before it doesn't run) for 4 months now. I need a new bed, the one I'm on is 20 years old. If I don't get a new chainsaw soon, a huge dead tree will fall on my house. With the left over money, $100 in vaping equipment and juice would go a long way.

I didn't mean to go off-topic and hijack this thread. I think what I am saying is totally inline with the OP. Finding a reliable vaping device on a super tight budget is both hard to do and extremely important. Going back to cigarettes is the last thing we poor vapers want to do after feeling some hope in life thanks to vaping. Step one is finding a reliable device for vaping. Don't be in a rush, do your research.

DIY e-liquid is step two if you are so inclined, it can also save you lots of money in the long run. My attempts at that failed miserably, so I now have about 220ml of 100mg nic and various flavors that are waiting for proper disposal. I am not a typical case, and my experience should not discourage you. Just make sure you aren't allergic to PG before you buy a bunch of DIY e-liquid supplies in PG base. Maybe someone can learn from my mistakes besides myself. I could have bought a vamo, batteries, charger, and a few flavors of good juice instead.

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Let me ask this though- those of you who have tried many devices across the board- what makes your juice taste the best?

I have tried eGo-C atties, CE4's, Kanger T2, carto tanks, a AGA-T, VN's and a few others that just didn't work for me. So not that many, but I still have an opinion on this FWIW. Given a juice delivery device that I like, that works well for me, the biggest thing I've found I can do to make the experience better for me is to mix my own juice. I mix to create a flavor that I like in the device I will be using. Clearos mute flavor a bit so I mix in more. If one day I loose the taste in a juice, I add a 'flavor shot' to the tank. I can mix whatever nic content I want. This has been the best thing I've ever done for my vape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread