70/30 or 50/50

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I use the 2 ml aspire bvc with 1.6 coils, and 70/30 juice.. Now i just ordered 50/50 base, due i have been reading that 70/30 is for sub ohm.. Will my tank leak when using 50/50 and what do others use and why?

50/50 is a good place to be if you've ever thought about mixing your own juice. If you ordered 50/50 base it sounds like you are.

I did 70pg/30vg for a long time and have dropped down to 60pg/40vg with no significant change in the vape. My next batch will be 50/50. My main reason for that is mixing supplies. At 50/50 I can buy a quart each of PG and VG and run out at the same time instead of having to buy 2 PG and one VG.

O-rings will seal no matter what your mix ratio is. If they don't then you might need to replace some parts. 50/50 is one of the most common mixes among vapers.

Last edited:

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Once upon a time when one saw 70/30 one just assumed it meant 70pg/30vg. That seems to have changed and now the first number seems to mean vg since lots of folks have gravitated to more vg.
I am assuming your original e-liquid was 70vg/30pg and you are concerned with a thinner mix when switching to a 50/50 mix. I don't think you will notice much of a difference. It shouldn't cause a leaking issue but your vapor may seem a bit thinner with less vg. You may notice more flavor though since it has been said that pg carries the flavor better.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
IMO,
50/50 "should" indicate an equal amount of PG and VG and thus ingredients are listed alphabetically.
Unless otherwise indicated, listing components alphabetically should be considered industry standard.
An easy way to avoid confusion is to state the PG percentage, it can then be presumed the remainder is VG.

Last edited:

Trigster

Aug 2, 2017
SF Bay Area
I use the 2 ml aspire bvc with 1.6 coils, and 70/30 juice.. Now i just ordered 50/50 base, due i have been reading that 70/30 is for sub ohm.. Will my tank leak when using 50/50 and what do others use and why?
I've used both and prefer the 50/50 for 3 reasons 1.) I think it gives me a slightly more pronounced throat hit 2.) It's thinner and easier to work with for DIY E-Liquid 3.) Better flavor carrier...But if your using it for DIY remember the flavors are mostly PG...My final mixes are more like 55p/45v (+-) a bit here and there...Trig

mortenhy

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2017
IMO,
50/50 "should" indicate an equal amount of PG and VG and thus ingredients are listed alphabetically.
Unless otherwise indicated, listing components alphabetically should be considered industry standard.
An easy way to avoid confusion is to state the PG percentage, it can then be presumed the remainder is VG.
OK thanks for the answer

mortenhy

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2017
Once upon a time when one saw 70/30 one just assumed it meant 70pg/30vg. That seems to have changed and now the first number seems to mean vg since lots of folks have gravitated to more vg.
I am assuming your original e-liquid was 70vg/30pg and you are concerned with a thinner mix when switching to a 50/50 mix. I don't think you will notice much of a difference. It shouldn't cause a leaking issue but your vapor may seem a bit thinner with less vg. You may notice more flavor though since it has been said that pg carries the flavor better.
Wow you are right. I never thought about that until now.. So my problem is the other way around.. I am used to 70pg/30vg and I can see that all the 70/30 bases is 70vg.. So that means that I ordered a thicker liquid instead of a thinner.. I seriously never thought of it..

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Wow you are right. I never thought about that until now.. So my problem is the other way around.. I am used to 70pg/30vg and I can see that all the 70/30 bases is 70vg.. So that means that I ordered a thicker liquid instead of a thinner.. I seriously never thought of it..

It's just been in the last year or two or three that high VG cloud vaping has been popular. For years we assumed that 70/30 meant PG/VG. These days the ratio differs between MTL and cloud vaping and you have to specify 70pg/30vg or it all gets confusing in a conversation.

I'm just about to move to 50/50 in my next batch of juice. In 2010-2012 I was buying 90pg/10vg juices for my cigalikes. Throat hit was way heavy for my tastes as I quit smoking and my taste buds began to recover.

Last edited:

mortenhy

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2017
It's just been in the last year or two or three that high VG cloud vaping has been popular. For years we assumed that 70/30 meant PG/VG. These days the ratio differs between MTL and cloud vaping and you have to specify 70pg/30vg or it all gets confusing in a conversation.

I'm just about to move to 50/50 in my next batch of juice. In 2010-2012 I was buying 90pg/10vg juices for my cigalikes. Throat hit was heavy.
You are absolutely right.. I really can't understand that I have not noticed it before lol.. Thanks

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
It is possible that some of the juice makers still stay with the original pg as the first number but it seems like the majority of them have now switched to putting vg first without clarifying what it means. If one were to see a label with just numbers it might be best to ask before buying.

I watched the change as it started happening and sadly it has caused a LOT of confusion. :facepalm: but it is just one of the many growing pains of a new industry. :)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
50/50 to me is an Anemic Vape and I mix my DIY 70/30 or 80/20 with no problems using Aspire BVC or or any other coils. Personal preference but it is only High or Max VG for me.

There's little to no throat hit in high VG for me. Not that I'm after high TH, but a little is good. I may find TH to be bland as I move down to 50/50. For me, throat hit is in the NIC and the PG. High VG just gets sweeter for me as the percentage rises.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread