70 Amp 26650 Battery doesn't fit mod... help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawaiiHank

Jun 12, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
So I'll make this brief... I was super stoked to discover 70 amp batteries for my 26650 mods.

A123 ANR26650M1A 2200mAh / 70A discharge (https://www.fasttech.com/products/1683800)

Note: I didn't actually order it off fasttech because they weren't allowing batteries to be shipped. I found them on a different site and they shipped faster, but they are the same product.

When they arrived, I noticed something peculiar about the battery's aesthetics, but I grabbed my XTAR VP2 charger and charged them up.

Then when I tried to put them into both my Hades and HCIGAR's 26650 Helmsman, they didn't fit either (even with me trying to jam them in) and my jaw dropped... there are two metal tabs on the positive and negative ends that prevent it from being inserted into the mod. See pics below.

From upper left and going clockwise:
1) The 70 Amp battery.

2) You can see the two metal tabs on the positive and negative ends.

3) A closer look at the positive end. The negative is identical. And the other batter is identical.

4) How battery and tube look when held upright.

sndi15.jpg

Sorry for this long thread! I'll get to the end!

Final Questions:
1) Does anyone have any insight how I may solve this dilemma?

2) Do I have to just rip the metal tabs off so it'll fit? Do I have to do this neatly? Do I need to leave those metal tabs intact?

3) Can I take a wire/metal cutter (like a Xuron Flush Cutter 12 Gauge) and just trim the part that is bent over the battery's edge? That way the metal tab is intact and the battery can enter flush?

Thank you in advance for any answers/help!
-Henry

Last edited:

Roccov

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2012
Philly
vaporreporter.wordpress.com
Henry sir, You need to spend a bit of time on this site: Basic to Advanced Battery Information from Battery University There is so much wrong with what you're trying to do that I do not know where to begin. Do your homework and get a couple of MNKE's. Put those away and chalk it up as a learning experience. Enjoy the day!

Revelene

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2013
Kentucky, USA
Just did a quick search on that battery and there are a few things wrong here...

1. That is a 3.2 volt battery, which at full nominal charge is 3.2 volts.
2. It is not a safe chemistry battery (aka IMR or Hybrid).
3. It is not a high-drain battery.

I do not recommend using this battery. It is actually good that the tabs were there preventing you from using it.

I would recommend getting a MNKE 26650 3.7v 3500mAh Li-Mn (IMR) 20A continuous discharge rate. Plenty of online shops that sell them for less than $10 USD.

Midniteoyl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2014
Indiana
What everyone else says ....

AND

ARE YOU NUTS!!????? If you DID manage to cram that thing in there (NEVER CRAM!) you would be causing a DEAD SHORT!! See those tabs? They conduct electricity! See the METAL TUBE you are trying to CRAM that battery into?? IT CONDUCTS ELECTRICITY. You might as well put a big fat metal bar across the tabs and watch as your house burns down.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

newq

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
Eldersburg Maryland USA
That battery looks to have been manufactured as a backup battery for something else.

I wouldn't use it Hank. It is not a safe chemistry battery and furthermore it is the wrong voltage. Most batteries we use for ecigs are of the 3.7v variety and when fully charged discharge 4.1 volts. I would not try cutting the tabs and using them. If something goes wrong, you are holding that right up to your mouth. There is a possibility that you lose a hand or worse have it explode and parts of your device enter your mouth, it is simply not worth it.

Please order your 26650's from a ecig vendor so you can rest assured they are of proper type and fit.

HawaiiHank

Jun 12, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks for the feedback guys. I feel like my description on me cramming the battery is causing much alarm. But don't worry, I didn't actually cram the battery. I should have said that I'm just applying light force to hold the battery upright in the picture.

And I know I have a lot to learn, but I'm not completely new :) I've been vaping for a solid year now (EVODs --> iTaste --> 18650's --> 26650's). And I already DO have 2 Sony 2600mah US26650VT and 2 MNKE 3500mAh 26650 batteries, but I guess I thought I was gonna add something unique to the vape collections

Midniteoyl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2014
Indiana
Not to press the issue but, if that battery had fit and you hit the fire button with the contacts touching the sides of the unit, More than likely, you'd of learned one of your lessons the hard way.

As soon as that second tab hit the metal tube, it would have been lesson over... no need to wait until he fired it.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Just did a quick search on that battery and there are a few things wrong here...

1. That is a 3.2 volt battery, which at full nominal charge is 3.2 volts.
2. It is not a safe chemistry battery (aka IMR or Hybrid).
3. It is not a high-drain battery.

Actually, points 2 and 3 are both incorrect (with a caveat). The batteries from A123 are a very safe chemistry; the microstructure of the electrodes prevents them from going into thermal runaway and/or exploding. These also are very high-C batteries. A123 makes them primarily for electric vehicles, and they can charge and discharge very quickly.

The caveat is that there are a lot of counterfeits around, and A123 does not, to my knowledge, sell these to individuals (for a short period of time they did make RC battery packs, but discontinued them). Their primary market is large battery banks for electric buses and similar high-demand, fast-recharge applications. 26650 is the primary size they make. They used to make 18650's as well.

I have a friend who works there (although perhaps not for much longer as they are in serious trouble...). I use them in my mechs all the time, and have never had a problem with them.

Of course, the tabs make the OP's question a no-brainer. Don't use them. Even if you could pull the tabs off, you'd damage the internal structure of the battery due to the force you would need.

milescadre

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Actually, points 2 and 3 are both incorrect (with a caveat). The batteries from A123 are a very safe chemistry; the microstructure of the electrodes prevents them from going into thermal runaway and/or exploding. These also are very high-C batteries. A123 makes them primarily for electric vehicles, and they can charge and discharge very quickly.

The caveat is that there are a lot of counterfeits around, and A123 does not, to my knowledge, sell these to individuals (for a short period of time they did make RC battery packs, but discontinued them). Their primary market is large battery banks for electric buses and similar high-demand, fast-recharge applications. 26650 is the primary size they make. They used to make 18650's as well.

I have a friend who works there (although perhaps not for much longer as they are in serious trouble...). I use them in my mechs all the time, and have never had a problem with them.

Of course, the tabs make the OP's question a no-brainer. Don't use them. Even if you could pull the tabs off, you'd damage the internal structure of the battery due to the force you would need.
On top of that, even though LiFePo4 isnt consider IMR (I believe) its not a dangerous battery. However, at 3.2v, it'd be a pretty poor vape.

However, the high amp limit may allow it to be stacked (I dont recommend trying it, just speculation) which would be 6.4v on paper, making for a epic stacked build. The E-Huge (there was another I was thinking of, con something, I cant remember the name) comes to mind, and would allow for some pretty awesome performance.

To answer the op tho, in theory you could carefully remove the metal tabs since theyre just tack welded on. However, if oyu used a standard charger on a lifepo4 battery youre lucky it didnt go up in smoke and its probably dangerously overcharged. LiFePo4 batteries require a special charger.

EDIT: By remove I mean snip off, not pull. the tabs are tack welded on and will not come off without damaging the battery. I would not recommend using these batteries for your mech if you charged them on a standard charger, not to mention in general, as theyre 3.2v and not our typical 3.7.

Wouldn't a standard charger have overcharged these to 4.2 volts?

Probably.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread