• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

$8000 fine if caught with nicotine ejuice in oz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timtam

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2009
Australia
Sorry to here about this. Maybe they should consider the dangers of analogs instead of targeting PVs.

The problem here is Australia is turning into a nanny-state. Their law making has no sense behind it, no research, and most of the time it is to fight knee-jerk reactions to situations, a la the Port Arthur Massacre and gun laws. What this is about is they want to get as much tax money off us smokers as possible. We are second-rate citizens in their eyes. (Well actually, third-rate in their eyes. First is themselves, second are the regular people, third are the smokers). Gone are the days where they realise THEY WORK FOR US! And most Australians are just willing to roll over and take it up the ..., or maybe write out on a forum like this one how much they hate a new piece if legislation, but they are too scared or something to send some letters or emails to their government.
The government realises that we are most of the time always willing to just take the cigarette tax on the chin and still smoke. It's just preying on people who are pretty much dependant on a drug. Australia is considered one of the most over-regulated first world countries on this planet. And I can see how they get to those conclusions.

Sounds crazy to me ....the $8000 fine sounds stupid. Anyhow I'm new to vaping and have a kit on order. Just as well I ordered the non nicotine juice.

There's one thing I don't understand ......are all the juices poisonous to children or just the nicotine juices? :confused:

Well usually, no. It's only the nicotine in e-juice that is poisonus in MOST liquids. Some may use different chemicals to enhance or even give a throat hit which may or may not be toxic to children when injested at high quantities. However, it's just common-sense to keep such liquids, whether they contain nicotine or not, away from children and pets. You don't (or shouldn't) leave bleach or drain cleaner or ammonia out around kids, so why would you leave e-liquid out?

Timtam

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2009
Australia
Thanks , that's good to know.

Well when I say that, most juices just contain PG or VG and flavouring. PG and VG are both found in multiple foodstuffs, so they should be safe for human ingestion to a certain degree. The flavouring could have adverse effects on children, especially if they have allergies or ADHD or similar, and certain flavourings are a no-no for them as they may go crazy for a period of time.

But like I said, I would never risk the health of kids or pets by being careless and leaving juices out where they may be able to get to them.

Sellaman

ECF Veteran
PG and VG are both found in multiple foodstuffs, so they should be safe for human ingestion to a certain degree.
I ordered an Ego-Tank Kit 3 days ago, and on the user manual it says to avoid getting the juices on your skin and if it gets on your lips to wash your mouth out. As far as I know the juices that came with the kit smell like pipe tobacco so I don't know if they have nicotine in them. (probably not as my order came from Australia... healthecigarette.com.au). I got some of this juice on my fingers when I cleaned the mouthpiece. The juice has a very strong odor. It leaked out of the cartridge a tiny bit. I'd hate to get it on my lips or in my mouth if it leaks a bit.

Sounds crazy to me ....the $8000 fine sounds stupid. Anyhow I'm new to vaping and have a kit on order. Just as well I ordered the non nicotine juice.

There's one thing I don't understand ......are all the juices poisonous to children or just the nicotine juices? :confused:

Just the nicotine juice. Nicotine is essentially a poison, as is alcohol. All poisons are poisonous to children...lol.

symphynity

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2011
Australia
Queensland only . Customs alert the QLD Dept of Health who then contact you ( I'm led to believe) .

My partner works with Customs Officers here in Sydney , some of them import Nic Juice themselves . You can import a 3 month supply for personal use , selling it is Prohibited unless you have a licence ( virtually impossible to get !).

wyojoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2011
Wyoming
I ordered an Ego-Tank Kit 3 days ago, and on the user manual it says to avoid getting the juices on your skin and if it gets on your lips to wash your mouth out. As far as I know the juices that came with the kit smell like pipe tobacco so I don't know if they have nicotine in them. (probably not as my order came from Australia... healthecigarette.com.au). I got some of this juice on my fingers when I cleaned the mouthpiece. The juice has a very strong odor. It leaked out of the cartridge a tiny bit. I'd hate to get it on my lips or in my mouth if it leaks a bit.
If getting it on you lips or sometimes in your mouth is bad, I would be dead. I dont do it on purpose but it happens all the time. When I fill carto's or drip from the bottle I get liquid on my hands all the time, everyday, and I wipe it off with a napkin and go about my business and not worry about it. If the juice was just pure nicotine then that would be a different story, the E-juice is only 24 to 36 milligrams Per Millititer worst case and you can go as low as 8mg's, but most people use 18 to 24mg's, so that is not a very high nicotine level. Hope this helps.

Sellaman

ECF Veteran
I dont know if possession is legal in QLD
I just checked on the phone to Australian Customs and the Therapeutic Goods Administration and importing nic juice for personal consumption is completely legal anywhere in Australia.

The only restrictions is that you can't import more than $1,000 worth of nic juice.

kalvinf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2011
Hamilton Canada
I just checked on the phone to Australian Customs and the Therapeutic Goods Administration and importing nic juice for personal consumption is completely legal anywhere in Australia.

The only restrictions is that you can't import more than $1,000 worth of nic juice.

So the original news byte via the youtube video is maybe media hype?

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina

That is great news Sellaman! I really think that you will have much more success with the nic in your juice. I am very happy that you were able to get this information before you got your order placed :2cool:

Gee, it would be nice to see that in writing.
Which number did you call?

Check the update in the "Economic Aussie Orders sticky" for recent procurement.

Sellaman

ECF Veteran
Gee, it would be nice to see that in writing.
Which number did you call?

Check the update in the "Economic Aussie Orders sticky" for recent procurement.

You can check out the laws on nic imports at the Therapeutic Goods Administration .
Their telephone number is 1800 020 653.
They won't tell you if anything is legal or not . They told me that it has to be searched on their web site.

But Australian Customs were very helpful. I told them I wanted to import nicotine juice for my electronic cigarette and they said it's perfectly legal.

And , I couldn't see anything in the Aussie Orders sticky about recent procurement???

Slickstick

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Gday

Just got off the phone with inlaws. Apparently on channel nine news tonight, there was a story about the Feds are now saying that if you import nicotine ejuice and get caught with it you will be fined $8000 per bottle. They said it is leathal to kids if they get hold of it and 10ml digested by a kid can kill them in 5 min... WTF....... This is the first real big negative ive heard about nic ejUICE. We can import non nic ejiuce though no worries. Any one heard anymore on this BULLDUST.?

I guess they should do the same for BLEACH and many other lethal things then.
High nicotine content could POTENTIALLY be harmful to small children.. there have been no reported cases.
In America I label the bottles themselves with warnings to keep away from kids and not to drink.
Responsibility and knowledge are key.

You can check out the laws on nic imports at the Therapeutic Goods Administration .
Their telephone number is 1800 020 653.
They won't tell you if anything is legal or not . They told me that it has to be searched on their web site.

But Australian Customs were very helpful. I told them I wanted to import nicotine juice for my electronic cigarette and they said it's perfectly legal.

And , I couldn't see anything in the Aussie Orders sticky about recent procurement???

Thanks for that.
On that site nicotine is not listed on "List of drug substances requiring import and or export authorizations"

Got sick of the endless pages if you just search "nicotine" (90 pages, and still says "next 20"), but searching "guidelines for importing nicotine" came across this:

"ALTERNATIVE NICOTINE DELIVERY DEVICES
In the last couple of months a proliferation of new devices providing nicotine in products other than those that need to be lit and inhaled have been launched into various markets around the world. Alternative nicotine delivery devices (ANDS) include products such as sweets, hand gel,[249] mouth washes and electronic cigarettes.[249-251]
Electronic cigarettes consist of a tubing device resembling a conventional cigarette. This heats a replaceable cartridge filled with liquid nicotine and other chemicals (i.e. it does not contain tobacco leaf). The heating process creates a mist that resembles cigarette smoke and is inhaled by the user. The e-cigarette is marketed by some companies as a healthier alternative; for example, ‘Egar Cigarette can be used legally indoors, in restaurants – ANYWHERE you wish, where traditional smoking is prohibited! ... Beat the smoking ban!’
If e-cigarettes are marketed as an aid in withdrawal from smoking they will be considered a therapeutic good, and would have to be listed on the Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods before they could be imported and retailed in Australia. It seems unlikely that they would meet standards for safety and efficacy. If, on the other hand, e-cigarettes are marketed exclusively as recreational devices, they may not meet the definition of therapeutic use. The Standard for the Uniform Scheduling of Drugs and Poisons (SUSDP) currently categories all nicotine products that are not tobacco products or are used for NRT as falling under Schedule 7, which covers Dangerous Poisons. Therefore, at present, such products (not being clearly a tobacco product or NRT) would probably not satisfy the stated exceptions, and could not be retailed under state and territory legislation.
As with smokeless tobacco, health experts have differing views about the usefulness of these products.[252, 253] Concerns are not easily dismissed about the potential of such products to attract young people who would not otherwise have used any form of nicotine, and to then act as a gateway to cigarettes.
Also worrying is the possibility that adults who might otherwise have given up tobacco completely could remain dependent on nicotine, helped by the availability of such products, and return to cigarettes, which are always likely to be a superior delivery device.[248, 254] Modelling of the potential benefits and harms suggests the need for restricting the availability of such products to long-time users who are unable to quit. However, such an approach would have few public health benefits unless large numbers of these smokers knew about such alternative products and were willing to try them. This conundrum will continue to be debated.[242, 244, 245, 255-261]
ACTION PROPOSED
Any regulatory body established to regulate the design, labeling and marketing of tobacco products could also be given responsibility for regulating alternative nicotine delivery devices."
ENDS

But after all that you still have the Queensland Health Dept.... apparently.

So still a gray area and we can expect legislation at some time.

Re "And , I couldn't see anything in the Aussie Orders sticky about recent procurement??"

I thought you wanted nic, and posted were a couple of companies I just got some from:

Box Elder 2 weeks here too. Not forgetting only US$4.95 shipping, and they will tell you 2 to 3 weeks.
Great value.

Also very happy with Greenhouse one, ordered 15th, shipped 16th arrived 21ST, with tracking.
Foot note: They guarantee delivery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread