801 Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

CritterBuddy

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
Been trying to work with an 801 for the past week and am very frustrated with it. Love the 901 I use and thought I'd try the 801 for the bigger cart.

First problem is wicking. Can't get it to last more than 3 or 4 drops on refill though first filling took 30 drops. Even if I let it sit for up to 30 minutes in various positions it still doesn't wick. Replaced original filler with various amounts of new polyfil with same results. So much for the bigger cart...

Second problem is flooding. I make sure not to pool the liquid on top when I refill but still experience flooding on start up. The 801 is great for dripping (or so I've read here on ECF) so tried that. Anything more than 2 drops floods the atomizer. Thinking I'm about ready to chunk the whole thing so took out the bridge and metal support to try dripping that way. Now more than 1 drop floods it. Great for about 4-5 puffs but not near enough. I have 2 atomizers and have the same problems with both though I haven't "stripped" the second one yet.

Have also tried various "vent" holes in cart, atomizer, 5 volts, etc. but still can't get this thing to work hardly at all. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

CritterBuddy

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
Thank you both for replying.

The atomizers are genuine SLBs. Did some looking about high or low bridge as I wasn't aware there were two. Because these are so wide I believe they are low bridge. Might dig into the one I have left with a bridge and see if I can raise it up since it is worthless to me the way it is.

Dripping is all I do with one of the atomizers because I got frustrated and tore out the bridge and support. However, dripping over 2 drops still floods it. Lots of noise but no vapor until it drys some.

One trick I do with my 901 carts to drain them completely is drill a 1/16" vent hole at the base of the reservoir near the mouthpiece. At about 6-8 drops in filling I'll see a little liquid start to come out the hole. I immediately roll my finger over the hole and top off the cart. I'll sometimes flood it but all I have to do is draw gently on it to keep liquid out of my mouth and work through it. Afterwards I can get all the juice out because of the vent hole. Tried this trick with the 801s but still can only get 3-4 drops on a refill.

Will experiment some more...

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Get a cheap digital voltmeter and test the atty's resistance. There are some HR 801 attys coming out now (high resistance) and they don't work except on 6 volts. They are being sold as standard - I just got a 5-pack and they were all HR even though sold as standard.

An 801 atomizer needs to read under 3 Ohms. Around 2.6 Ohms is common. These HR ones are 3.5 Ohms (mine read between 3.4 and 3.6 Ohms) and that's useless. OK on a 6-volt machine maybe but even 5 volts won't do it for an atty with such a high resistance. They'll most likely last for ever but with low vapor and TH.

YKruss

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2009
Springfield, VA
An 801 atomizer needs to read under 3 Ohms. Around 2.6 Ohms is common. These HR ones are 3.5 Ohms (mine read between 3.4 and 3.6 Ohms) and that's useless

You would be correct if you were talking about 510 attys.

But...

Regular 801 atty should read around 3.5 Ohms
High Resistance (Voltage) 801 is around 4.5 Ohms.
Low Resistance (Voltage) 801 is around 1.5 Ohms.

Last edited:

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Polyfil just doesn't wick well after you use it for a little while. I used the straw modification for quite a while when it first came out. It really helped.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/tips-tricks/11421-cart-mod-better-refilling.html

Then I replaced the poly filler completely with AquaClear foam. Made a big difference with wicking in the larger cartridge of the 801. Now I use it exclusively for all my atomizers (510, etc.). You can find it at PetCo and most other large pet supply stores. No need for a straw then. Cut just slightly wider, same depth and same length so it compresses slightly. If you find it doesn't wick, trim it a bit. Better to cut too wide, than not wide enough.

The 801 does need to be blown out once in a while, and I find it performs much better on a Li-Ion battery modification unit than a stock battery. A drop or two to the atomizer can help get a cartridge wicking again also.

Also, I find the low bridge atomizer is a much better performer for the penstyle (801) models. I'm using the 302 these days exclusively. They last a long time and several of the suppliers have them. Because the bridge is different, do purchase a package of cartridges if you buy some. The tube length is shorter on the 302 and the atty bridge is low so the cartridge length is different from the 801 carts.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
@YKruss
That's interesting. I've only seen 801s below 3 Ohms previously (2.5 to 3) and they all work fabulously well - but I don't know what the 'standard' is supposed to be.

Can't see how a 4.5 Ohm atty will work if the 3.5 ones don't do it for me on 5 volts, but that's another story I guess.

nubee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2009
IL, USA
I've been an 801'er for almost a year and have stuck with the low bridge attys and the DART cart mod.

I can get approx 20-25 drops in a full fill and usually 10 in a top off. The biggest thing with the 801 cart is you can get a vacuum behind the filler/juice and wicking goes out the window.

The DART mod with a good clean (or new) polly fill in snug seems to give me the best wicking with least flooding (though I can still flood if I vape hard and then park it for too long)

note: VG/PG mix juices seem to help in the overall wick/flood issue too

nubee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2009
IL, USA
@YKruss
That's interesting. I've only seen 801s below 3 Ohms previously (2.5 to 3) and they all work fabulously well - but I don't know what the 'standard' is supposed to be.

Can't see how a 4.5 Ohm atty will work if the 3.5 ones don't do it for me on 5 volts, but that's another story I guess.

If I'm not mistaken, I think the BE112's run at 2.5-3 ohms

spradling

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
The atomizers are genuine SLBs. Did some looking about high or low bridge as I wasn't aware there were two. Because these are so wide I believe they are low bridge.
Probably low bridge if they're wide. I had the exact same problem with these (SLB LowB) that's why I asked. It was last year so I guessed they fixed this problem but apparently not, or maybe they did and you got old stock.

IMO SLBs 801 attys are not that good, they have good 801 batts, 901 attys, etc, but for 801 attys I prefer the BE112 a lot more, the JOYE302 is also better than SLBs I think, but the best IMO is the BE112. They are low bridge and do not have this wicking problem, they wick great and the vapor lasts a long long time before refilling.

SLBs HighB Attys don't have the wicking problem, but they are too high and press down on the cart filler, compressing it in, and you have to pull it up once in a while.

If you want to enjoy the 801, get either a JOYE302 or a BE112 ;)

CritterBuddy

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
The atomizer I "gutted" measures 3.3 ohms. The other one which still has the bridge in it measures 3.0 ohms. I'm still playing with them by dripping all weekend and they seem to be doing better in that I can now put 3 drops in them before flooding. I'll play some more and see if I can get them to work better because I really want to use the bigger carts. I'll report back either way for others who may have this problem.

Thanks all!!

nubee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2009
IL, USA
Cool. Another "note"... even 801's have a break in period and perform better once they are warmed up.

Mine warm up pretty quick in the JStick as the atty is pretty enclosed and I've found that my Bartleby with the 14500 gets them hot pretty fast.

Now, I do keep them running pretty hot as I like the "heat" factor and vapor produced but it does seem to put a shorter life expectancy on them as well.

angelique510

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I use an RN4072, which is similar to an 801 - so this may or may not be helpful to you. I had similar problems when I started with it.

I now use Marineland Rite-Size blue foam. You have to get it just right though - too much and it won't wick, too little and it will leak like a sieve. I have found that the perfect size is to cut strips a hair wider than the cart and twice the length of the fat part of the cart. Round the corners, fold in half and slide it in using the rounded bend of paperclip between the layers. I can get 25-30 drops in if I wiggle the air bubbles out with the unbent end of a paperclip.

I have also learned to not fill a cart, put it in the atty and then put it in my purse. The only time I get leaks is when I do that. Vape on it for a little while before putting it away to "take a little off the top"

Also, I use juice that is 30-40% VG. It is thicker than 100% PG juice and doesn't leak like the thin stuff does.

The penstyle is a good PV. You get better vapor and battery life than you do with a mini, and it is not big and ugly like a mod. Stick with it and you will find its sweet spot.

~A

CritterBuddy

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
The atomizer I "gutted" measures 3.3 ohms. The other one which still has the bridge in it measures 3.0 ohms. I'm still playing with them by dripping all weekend and they seem to be doing better in that I can now put 3 drops in them before flooding. I'll play some more and see if I can get them to work better because I really want to use the bigger carts. I'll report back either way for others who may have this problem.

Have finally given up on using carts - too many refills and burnt taste. I have discovered the 801 atomizer does like 5 volts so I drip up to 6 drops and use them this way. More work so only do it while relaxing or working on the computer when I have time to fuss with it. The 901 is still my main vape since leaving cartomizers.

Again, thanks to all for all your help!

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
I have some SLB 801 low bridge attys, KR Penstyle attys, BE112s, and a couple of Joye 302s. If I were to rate them on which one works the best with the least amount of hassle I would say the BE112 first and the 302 second, with the 801 third and the KR minipipe/penstyles way beyond dead last.

I've gone over almost exclusively to the 801 style attys on most of my gear. Specifically I use the BE112 attys and 801 hard tip carts with marineland blue foam filler. I use a 1 part vg to 2 parts pg e-liquids (33%). I just pop off the cart and drip into it until it fills, no messing with tweezers or paperclips. Carts last me a few weeks before it starts looking too chewed up (I hold it with my teeth when I'm working on stuff with my hands).

I use them with SLB 801 auto batts or manual passthru's, KR mini pipes, or my Janty Stick.

I've been using the same BE112 atty for around 7 or 8 months with only the occasional dry-burn and rinse to clean off the goobers. BE112s at 3.7v is good enough for me. Run the darn thing all day and night only putting it down for battery swaps or configuration changes. Damn atty just won't die :)

I only get a leaking issue on rare occasions when I leave the carts fully loaded and set in an atty, unused and cart end up for a long period of time, or when I over fill the snot out of it and let it sit too long. I also noticed that, for reasons I can't fathom, if I leave it attached to a battery and lay it down for a few days it will get leaky. If I leave it laying down without anything attatched, no problems.

Kinda odd not to see a reply on here from DonDaBoomVape...he's usually pretty big on penstyle posts.:ohmy:

txtumbleweed

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Walla Walla
You have to be careful mixing BE112's and DSE801's sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I've tried lots of different setups, cartomoizers, Atty's, 510, 901, mods and I've yet to find anything better than a DSE 801 for taste and vapor. It was my first one and I would have saved alot of money just sticking with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread