A Billion Lives teaser-trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
I hope the full film isn't as flashy, commercial, propaganda-feeling and 100 edits a minute as that teaser. It also seemed to include all the false attacks against vaping, maybe over half of it was covering them, which seems weird to bring up especially in the teaser.

Thing is, a film could come out AFTER the government screws up vaping and be more about using vaping as an example of government madness, but before that happens it's going to seem more like propaganda. Unfortunately.

I's not just governments or government elected officials screwing everything up though. It's consumers and businesses too. Same thing is taking place with firearms as well if you haven't noticed. One or more individuals / smaller groups of individuals make guns and vaping look more dangerous than it really is and all hell breaks loose. Why? Because the politicians that we elected haven't found the "time" out of their "busy lives" to educate themselves on the 'Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How'. Consumers are screwing up by not asking the right questions, not taking action when action needs to be taken, and / or not supporting those that are taking action. Businesses do this too. A lot of businesses don't like to answer the questions properly when they're asked or when problems arrive. So who do we blame? The easiest people / person to blame is local state and federal officials, because we as people - don't like pointing our fingers at ourselves. I sure don't like taking blame, but I will if I'm the one at fault. Businesses don't like taking blame because it's "bad publicity" and "bad business" - oh well, you're a business for christs sake, own a bit of responsibility for your issues and stand behind the people that buy your products! And the only "bad businesses" are those that practice shady dealings and avoid conflict altogether. I've stated this before in the past and will continue to state sometime in the near future... unless the people and the businesses stand up and say "Hey, this is wrong and unjustifiable..." then guess what? We'll be fighting forever. Want to know what? If you haven't taken a stand and supported CASAA or Vaping Malitia, or ANY of the other vaping advocacy groups, take the time and do so. If advocacy groups aren't your thing, then deal with YOUR representatives as you see fit in ANY means necessary. (And no I'm not talking VIOLENTLY EITHER!)

Why should you do any of the above? Because they were voted in by the people to REPRESENT the people. Even if nothing is done about any of this, at least you can say, "Hey I tried, I fought, I lost... but I WON'T GIVE UP!" and THEN and ONLY THEN can you BLAME SOMEONE!

And another thing, RESEARCH, SCIENCE, AND EVIDENCE will need to be conducted and brought forth PROVING vaping to be a much safer alternative than smoking. So help fund your scientists and such as well.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Very true. However, there is a crucial difference with ABL using the SHS stat and the billion lives one. That being that there is a large dose of truth in the billion lives sound bite, but none in the SHS one. IMHO it's fine to throw the billion lives thing back at tobacco control liars, because it is a valid tool for shaming them over their stance on e-cigs, but once we start quoting their own entirely baseless (in science) pronouncements, it's tacit endorsement of their entirely baseless pronouncements against vaping.

Hence why I wrote this, and I stand by it.

A Billion Lives, My Take | Dick Puddlecote
I will never appreciate any documentary that spreads the lie that "165,000 kids die of secondhand smoke, every year." Nor will I encourage anyone to watch or support it.

Your article you linked to is really good. The link was removed, I guess on account of "bad" language.

http://dickpuddlecote.blogspot.com/2015/11/a-billion-lives-my-take.html[plain]

Reactions: Kent C

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
I will never appreciate any documentary that spreads the lie that "165,000 kids die of secondhand smoke, every year." Nor will I encourage anyone to watch or support it.

Your article you linked to is really good. The link was removed, I guess on account of "bad" language.
http://dickpuddlecote.blogspot.com/2015/11/a-billion-lives-my-take.html

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Very true. However, there is a crucial difference with ABL using the SHS stat and the billion lives one. That being that there is a large dose of truth in the billion lives sound bite, but none in the SHS one. IMHO it's fine to throw the billion lives thing back at tobacco control liars, because it is a valid tool for shaming them over their stance on e-cigs, but once we start quoting their own entirely baseless (in science) pronouncements, it's tacit endorsement of their entirely baseless pronouncements against vaping.

Hence why I wrote this, and I stand by it.

A Billion Lives, My Take | Dick Puddlecote

You're exactly right.

"initiated by Godber at the conference, with a specific aim “to emphasize that active cigarette smokers injure those around them, including their families and, especially, any infants that might be exposed involuntarily to ETS."

It is because of junk studies as that in '91 and elsewhere that led to the SHS decision by the US EPA under Carol Browner a few years later - with fudged and cherry-picked studies and skewed, non-normal statistical abuse.

I guess one could say 'to their credit', since the tradition in the US is that someone should be able to do anything as long as it doesn't violate the rights of others (ie. harm them), ... so they HAD to establish that harm (with junk science), so as to make the law "legitimate" - which of course, it isn't.

OldBatty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2014
North Georgia USA
Have run into this before - don't know if it's ECF or ECF's censor. I think the 'dick' censor has been lifted so to speak :)

Then we should celebrate!
His name was Dick and this has nothing to do with E-cigs, but I have been here one year tonight, so I am entitled to an off topic post.:)

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Reactions: LaraC

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
Like many others possibly have, got the email announcing the completion of the movie. Had a thought right away regarding a film festival to approach. And I think everyone could possibly agree that it would be a good venue.

The film festival to approach imho would be the Sundance Film Festival.

They have a documentary category. We may even be fortunate & get Mr. Redford's attention and support. It is too late for the 2016 Festival deadline, yet we could submit for 2017.

Something to consider, maybe.

LaraC

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2013
Tennessee
I received the email, too. It was great to see a list of festivals Aaron has contacted -- and that we should also contact to request that "A Billion Lives" be shown.

I'll be googling a lot of the festivals they listed in the email; digging up the contact info and emailing many of them, to ask that they show "A Billion Lives."

From Aaron Biebert's email:

Things have been quiet. We've been busy. Heads down. Preparing.

A storm is coming.

I am proud to announce that editing is now finished. We will continue making minor adjustments, but it is done. No more wondering. This film is coming out.

I am exhausted. Our team is tired from editing eight versions of the film. It is emotional work, with so many lives on the line.
Now it's time to show the world.

Film Festival Premieres

We need your help.

We've reached out to the following film festivals all over the world to see if there is interest in premiering the film in their city/country.

They are going through thousands of films and are very busy, so I would encourage you to contact them. Email. Phone. Twitter. Facebook. Whatever it takes.

Let them hear how important this topic is.

March

• True/False Film Festival - Columbia, MO
  • Hong Kong International Film Festival - Hong Kong
  • Cleveland International Film Festival - Ohio
  • Gasparilla International Film Festival - Tampa
  • American Documentary Film Festival - Palm Springs, CA

April

• Atlanta Film Festival - Atlanta, GA
  • Dallas International Film Festival - Dallas, TX
  • Full Frame Documentary Film Festival - Durham, NC
  • It's All True - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
  • Minneapolis St. Paul International Film Festival
  • Worldfest - Houston
  • Florida Film Festival - Orlando, FL
  • Tribeca Film Festival - New York, NY
  • Visions du Réel - Nyon, Switzerland
  • Hot Docs Film Festival - Toronto, Canada

Early May

• DOK.fest - Munich, Germany
  • DocAVIV - Tel Aviv, Israel

If you'd like to see A Billion Lives at other film festivals, please have them contact us.

Theater Near You?

We are gearing up to bring our film to theaters all over the world. Unfortunately, that takes money. We are working to partner with a film distributor, but we need to build a larger following first.

In the meantime we are reaching out directly to theater operators. If you have a theater near you that plays documentary films, please contact them to request A Billion Lives.

If you know anyone that wants to sponsor an after-party for a theater showing, please have them contact us. We are putting together a tour.

It's Our Time

You helped us dig up information. You connected us with interview subjects. You gave us a loud voice. You helped make this film.

Now is the time to bring it to the world.

Here we go,

- Aaron Biebert & the team

Jingles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Ohio
I did get a response to my email a few minutes ago. Basically it said they were still in the process of putting the schedule together. The final schedule will be announced March 4th at clevelandfilm.org. I would copy the email if I wasn't on my phone at work. You can email them also at office@clevelandfilm.org. The more the merrier! We could have a pre showing party!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Painter_
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread