A Derlin Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
I made the reservoir for the Super TorneGo II from Delrin.... been vaping off of it (every day, 5ml a day) for about 10 months now. The Delrin doesn't impart any taste into the liquid, and it has proven itself to be impervious to even the nastiest of e-liquids (strong cinnamon based liquids, etc.).

FWIW

Thank you Scottbee thank you very much, this was more my point Imeo

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Someone will make a delrin AVS/AFS system and they will dominate the market. Imeo I think you should really consider making one. You lead the way in bringing feed systems to market why not be the first to market a delrin one?

Kudos to you Harpo I agree fully, Imeo this is so very true, I have been asking you for months for this Delrin tank, please make it

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
Its because I dont see a reason harpo. If you dont like aluminium for some reason I can nickel-plated the tanks.

Making a plastic tube will ruin the look of GGTS, it will be its weak point too because it will break way more easily than metal.

ps... Its much more easy to make a plastic tube than a metal one. Its very easy too to make a thin plastic tube and put it inside AVS. But I ask again, what is the reason?

ps2....... all my plastics inside GG are delrin. Its a very easy plastic for a machine. So I can do it tomorow if you want. But I am still wondering about the reason

Last edited:

harpo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2009
Yuba City, California
Its because I dont see a reason harpo. If you dont like aluminium for some reason I can nickel-plated the tanks.

Making a plastic tube will ruin the look of GGTS, it will be its weak point too because it will break way more easily than metal.

ps... Its much more easy to make a plastic tube than a metal one. Its very easy too to make a thin plastic tube and put it inside AVS. But I ask again, what is the reason?

ps2....... all my plastics inside GG are delrin. Its a very easy plastic for a machine. So I can do it tomorow if you want. But I am still wondering about the reason

Well I'm sure I'm not the only one but when I use my AVS I always taste a metallic taste. I've tried several different atomizers and I alway end up with this taste in my mouth. I have several bottom feeding devices as well as another type of feeder that uses the plastic bottle type feeding system and the juice taste clean with no metallic taste. Lining the inside of the tank or making one as Matt suggested would definitely improve the vaping experience of the AVS IMO.

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
just for the record for MWA.... the fancy drip tips with the swirls and whatnot are acrylic and not delrin... Delrin used to come in 3 colors (black, white, and natural)....just recently it became available in a somewhat clear version (though you'd be hard pressed to find it stocked in rods in the diameters you'd need (and while there's one company with rumors of delrin available in other colors the order quantity required is huge)...

given that it's a great idea...actual delrin would be a very nice and suitable material...

as far as it ruining the look imeo... what about doung the tank in delrin and then pressing it inside a thin metal tube with an oval cutout as a window (if you could find the delin in clear)...that way it'd have the benifit of the delrin tank but the look of metal.... kinda like if you took the clear acrylic tank and put a metal sleave over that with a cutout window... (just that delrin is a better plastic than acrylic)

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
just for the record for MWA.... the fancy drip tips with the swirls and whatnot are acrylic and not delrin... Delrin used to come in 3 colors (black, white, and natural)....just recently it became available in a somewhat clear version (though you'd be hard pressed to find it stocked in rods in the diameters you'd need (and while there's one company with rumors of delrin available in other colors the order quantity required is huge)...

given that it's a great idea...actual delrin would be a very nice and suitable material...

as far as it ruining the look imeo... what about doung the tank in delrin and then pressing it inside a thin metal tube with an oval cutout as a window (if you could find the delin in clear)...that way it'd have the benifit of the delrin tank but the look of metal.... kinda like if you took the clear acrylic tank and put a metal sleave over that with a cutout window... (just that delrin is a better plastic than acrylic)

Drozd, this was the exact idea I have given Imeo a long long time ago, a 2ply tank, nickle on the outside and Delrin on the inside simply by doing a press fit or laminating the two together, then we could all have the Nickle look on the outside and the Delrin on the inside, EXACTLY Drozd EXACTLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im so glad you feel the same as me on this, I've wanted this for a long time and to have my liquid sitting in the Delrin would be so much better, no more metallic taste what so ever. Thank you Drozd

is this (Rumored) company you speak of Dupont or maybe one in NJ Drozd ? I don't think Delrin is any secret material it has been out for a long long time and to investigate this is pretty simple. Do you have any further knowledge Drozd on who I could contact or know where I can find more information other then searching suppliers, and the internet, if so I would appreciate it very much, this is something I would be very interested in finding out more about.

Last edited:

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
I'm not positive on this but I think the Dupont company who is near me makes Delrin and has retailers that sell it for them if you cant purchase it direct through Dupont and these retailer could put an order in for what they want for you. I know it is expensive but it cant possibly be more expensive then Nickle or stainless steel I don't think anyway so ordering a few lengths of it in pipe form would be the way to go, but it sure would be worth looking into one way or another

one quick search led me to this company, seems there are some different grades and availabilities of Delrin in pipe and its very reasonable too =http://www.modernplastics.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=acetal&search_in_description=1&x=10&y=8

Last edited:

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
After some quick research it appears that Dupont is the leader in this material like I though, it would be very interesting to speak with someone knowledgeable from Dupont and or to show them an AVS and ask what would be the best and most cost effective way to do what I was thinking here

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
Gyus, dont forget that plastic is not the best way to store liquids. Bacterials stay inside plastic bottles and can cause big problems.

I still dont see a reason to go with plastic. In fact there is no reason exept to change the metal because some of you say that aluminium change the taste. Its ok, I can nickel plate it or make it from steel.

Last edited:

JohnUK

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2010
UK
Can I ask what grade delrin is food safe? as I can't find it I did however pull this from a supplier her in the UK:

Delrin Rod Disadvantages
Delrin Rod is not suitable for food contact applications and has less resistance to chemical attack. It also has a lower size range availability and can be slightly more expensive.

Delrin Rod Applications
Delrin Rod is suitable for most non food and non highly abrasive component applications. Because Delrin does not absorb very much moisture, it is an engineering plastic that will suit marine applications as it also has a very low friction co-efficient and possesses exceptional sliding abilities. Delrin is also very good for manufacturing of many gears, because it is very good to machine and has mechanical strength and provides long life and quiet operation.

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
Drozd, this was the exact idea I have given Imeo a long long time ago, a 2ply tank, nickle on the outside and Delrin on the inside simply by doing a press fit or laminating the two together, then we could all have the Nickle look on the outside and the Delrin on the inside, EXACTLY Drozd EXACTLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im so glad you feel the same as me on this, I've wanted this for a long time and to have my liquid sitting in the Delrin would be so much better, no more metallic taste what so ever. Thank you Drozd

is this (Rumored) company you speak of Dupont or maybe one in NJ Drozd ? I don't think Delrin is any secret material it has been out for a long long time and to investigate this is pretty simple. Do you have any further knowledge Drozd on who I could contact or know where I can find more information other then searching suppliers, and the internet, if so I would appreciate it very much, this is something I would be very interested in finding out more about.

don't get me wrong ...I've got no dog in this hunt I just stumbled on the topic and because I've worked with delrin a lot and because of the tendency lately for a lot of the people around here to throw around the word delrin and not really understand it... I do it to because delrin is a lot easier to say than Acetal copolymer resin

no I wasn't speaking about dupont.... delrin is just dupont's trademark name for that type of plastic ... the company I was thinking on is called TPI and they distribute quadrant plastics for the food industry...
here's a link Total Plastics, Inc.

Gyus, dont forget that plastic is not the best way to store liquids. Bacterials stay inside plastic bottles and can cause big problems.

I still dont see a reason to go with plastic. In fact there is no reason exept to change the metal because some of you say that aluminium change the taste. Its ok, I can nickel plate it or make it from steel.

well that does depend on the right sort of plastic really... problem is that there's dozens of plastics right now in this industry that people are calling delrin... and theres a good dozen or so different delrin products....

Ok here's the thing....let me see how I can put this delicately....
as a side job I make some toys for the fetish minded folks...
delrin has long been a trend in what we'll call impact toys in that industry....because the right kind of delrin.....is nonporous and therefore antimicrobial so it's easy to clean and be assured that no bacteria or fluids are left behind...
there ARE plastics that serve better than metal... I'd advise against nickel plating the interior of a juice tank.... annodizing would be superior to that and superior to bare aluminum... yes the right kind of plastic or glass would be surperior to that...as far as health and safety and bacterial issues go..

Can I ask what grade delrin is food safe? as I can't find it I did however pull this from a supplier her in the UK:

Delrin Rod Disadvantages
Delrin Rod is not suitable for food contact applications and has less resistance to chemical attack. It also has a lower size range availability and can be slightly more expensive.

Delrin Rod Applications
Delrin Rod is suitable for most non food and non highly abrasive component applications. Because Delrin does not absorb very much moisture, it is an engineering plastic that will suit marine applications as it also has a very low friction co-efficient and possesses exceptional sliding abilities. Delrin is also very good for manufacturing of many gears, because it is very good to machine and has mechanical strength and provides long life and quiet operation.

generally dupont is sketchy about saying anything is food safe or medical grade...
the other manufacturers will state something like : FDA, USDA, NSF, 3A Dairy and Canada AG compliant (that's for ACETRON® GP - CO-POLYMER ACETAL though)

delrin from the same place just says: FDA, NSF and 3A Dairy compliant

and those two examples are prime for what I mean as far as the right kind of plastic they're both Acetal ( ones copolymer and the other homopolymer) both resin.... but here:

ACETRON® GP - CO-POLYMER ACETAL
• Improved dimensional stability vs. nylon - lower moisture absorption
• Porosity-free rod and plate - minimized bacteria build-up, easier to sanitize
• Low, consistent internal stress minimizes dimensional change in machining and use
• Used in general bearing and wear and mixing components
• FDA, USDA, NSF, 3A Dairy and Canada AG compliant

DELRIN® - HOMOPOLYMER ACETAL
• Slightly higher strength than co-polymer acetal
• Used in general, structural and bearing applications
(porosity may cause sanitation issues)
• FDA, NSF and 3A Dairy compliant

both are considered food safe...but which sounds better to you

my :2c:

JBTX1

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2010
Texas
I'm sitting here drinking coffee out of my aluminum coffee mug and thinking about all theses suggestions regarding this thread subject. Makes me wonder about the aluminum beer cans and coke cans we drink out of daily. I also wonder about the canned foods we eat daily. Aluminum foil that food is wrapped in and cooked in. A little food for thought my friends...Change is good when it serves a positive purpose.

Last edited:

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
don't get me wrong ...I've got no dog in this hunt I just stumbled on the topic and because I've worked with delrin a lot and because of the tendency lately for a lot of the people around here to throw around the word delrin and not really understand it... I do it to because delrin is a lot easier to say than Acetal copolymer resin

no I wasn't speaking about dupont.... delrin is just dupont's trademark name for that type of plastic ... the company I was thinking on is called TPI and they distribute quadrant plastics for the food industry...
here's a link Total Plastics, Inc.

well that does depend on the right sort of plastic really... problem is that there's dozens of plastics right now in this industry that people are calling delrin... and theres a good dozen or so different delrin products....

Ok here's the thing....let me see how I can put this delicately....
as a side job I make some toys for the fetish minded folks...
delrin has long been a trend in what we'll call impact toys in that industry....because the right kind of delrin.....is nonporous and therefore antimicrobial so it's easy to clean and be assured that no bacteria or fluids are left behind...
there ARE plastics that serve better than metal... I'd advise against nickel plating the interior of a juice tank.... annodizing would be superior to that and superior to bare aluminum... yes the right kind of plastic or glass would be surperior to that...as far as health and safety and bacterial issues go..

generally dupont is sketchy about saying anything is food safe or medical grade...
the other manufacturers will state something like : FDA, USDA, NSF, 3A Dairy and Canada AG compliant (that's for ACETRON® GP - CO-POLYMER ACETAL though)

delrin from the same place just says: FDA, NSF and 3A Dairy compliant

and those two examples are prime for what I mean as far as the right kind of plastic they're both Acetal ( ones copolymer and the other homopolymer) both resin.... but here:

ACETRON® GP - CO-POLYMER ACETAL
• Improved dimensional stability vs. nylon - lower moisture absorption
• Porosity-free rod and plate - minimized bacteria build-up, easier to sanitize
• Low, consistent internal stress minimizes dimensional change in machining and use
• Used in general bearing and wear and mixing components
• FDA, USDA, NSF, 3A Dairy and Canada AG compliant

DELRIN® - HOMOPOLYMER ACETAL
• Slightly higher strength than co-polymer acetal
• Used in general, structural and bearing applications
(porosity may cause sanitation issues)
• FDA, NSF and 3A Dairy compliant

both are considered food safe...but which sounds better to you

my :2c:

Drozd, thank you so much for all of your input on this subject you seem to be very knowledgable in the subject.! It surely appears to me after vigorously investigating this Delrin and some other fabulous resin type materials that Delrin and ACETRON would be the two that I really like just as my original thought of Delrin would make for an outstanding product for an AVS to be made from.

Arry is already doing this with Imeo's AVS product and has been for a while but in a glass or Acrylic, I just don't understand Imeo's 3 part video as of late where he is stating he really likes this clear tank and looks to be enjoying it very much while he is vaping from it in the video but yet he states he will not make a tank from these durable and safe ,FDA, USDA, NSF, 3A Dairy and Canada AG COMPLIANT MATERIALS !!!, They are definitely better tasting, non metalic tasting, great materials that are readily available. !!

In fact it boggles my brain that Arry can do this but Imeo can't and says he won't. Arry obviously sees the advantages of all of this so I guess we will all have to turn to Arry for some superior tank products now. I'm looking forward to having a Delrin or other tank fully made with an interior of one of these great and safe products as soon as I can have one, I think even better would be to have my original idea of an AVS tank with a Delrin inside and a matching or beautiful outside layer like I have been asking Imeo for this 2 Ply tank now for months and wished he would give us what we have investigated to be a very good product some day in the near future. There is a plastics and Delrin shop near my home and I'm going to stop by with my AVS and ask if they can make me the same tank the way I want it with Delrin and see what they have to say, maybe I could leave one of my AVS's with them and ask them to project on it when they have some spare time to save on cost who knows but I'm gonna try.!

Thanks again for your knowledgeable input Drozd its come in handy !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread