A little lost.. How about the basics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilocity

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Washington DC
Hey everyone, just curious about the diy and having trouble finding the absolute basics. For starters, what would be the basic recipe for unflavored, zero nicotine, 100 percent vg juice? I'm just trying to understand the basic ingredients to a vapable juice so I have an idea of what I'm looking at when reading these other flavor packed recipes. I'm not looking to jump head first, just can't find a thread that explains the starting points for learning to diy. For instance, can pure vg be vaped from the bottle lol? Or am I missing some seriously important information?

If someone could link some good info so I can begin to research from a true "diy noob" perspective, it would be a great help.

Thanks a bunch yall!

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Look for e-Juice Me up calculator. It even has some recipes (that I just found yesterday after playing with the program for a month :facepalm:)

You can plug in the factor for your nic base (if any) and then proportion the amount of PG, VG, and/or flavorings. Not sure about all VG liquid (I like 50/50), but I think I saw/read somewhere you'll want to dilute the VG with about 10-20% H2O so it will wick without clogging. My supplies should be arriving this week, so I'm a noob in this adventure too!

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
You can vape vg, but make sure you use a USP grade. And you likely will need to dilute it, so use distilled water, not tap (okay for drinking, not for inhaling) or bottled (they add minerals). Opinions seem to vary on the distilled water, but since you're not adding flavor or nic, I think you could go from 5% to 10%. As long as it isn't leaking out of you tank, it should be okay.

Others dilute with alcohol, like Everclear, but since you seem to want to keep this simple, that may not interest you.

At any rate, I used mostly vg, nic, and flavors which contained pg so my juice was probably around 10 or less pg, and that worked, but it was pretty coil-cloggy.

Whatever you decide, I hope you post about your results.

clh2121

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2014
Keota, Oklahoma, United States
Can straight VG be vaped from the bottle? Of Course it can... now... Like the others mentioned above... It isn't going to wick well in some tanks. That's the only downfall. Adding 5-10% distilled water or saline can dilute it enough that it works better in tanks. Straight PG can be vaped too... Not sure why you'd want to, but it can.

MissMcVayp

ECF Veteran
Dec 25, 2013
Florida
I'm REALLY new to DYI, and while I do buy unflavored from a local B&M to vape (I happen to like the taste of no flavor, lol) it isn't cost-effective for DIY experiments. I just ordered a big bottle of unflavored VG w/ nic at 6 from Velvet Cloud (very cheap and ready-diluted with distilled water) so it should be good to go to just add flavor. I ordered flavors from P's A that don't have any nasties in them. So now I just have to figure out how many drops a bottle to add, lol (please note I got "D"s in math class)...

MissMcVayp

ECF Veteran
Dec 25, 2013
Florida
OP ...

Just my opinion, but if I did not have a nicotine addiction and could happily get by with vaping 0% Nic juice, I wouldn't even waste my time vaping.

Ot, lol, but I think I could probably give up the nic addiction before I could give up the hand-to-mouth-inhale psychological-comfort addiction, lol...

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Last edited:

Evilocity

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Washington DC
Hey everyone, thanks for the replies. It seems I managed to post twice so there's 2 threads going and I just saw all these great replies. I do vape nic and am working my way down hopefully. I just needed an idea of the simplicity or complexity of diy to get an understanding. I figured starting simple and moving up to more complex flavors and adding nic would be a safer/smarter approach. I appreciate all the responses and I will definitely post my results. Hopefully in a week or so I can start with some simple recipes.

MissMcVayp

ECF Veteran
Dec 25, 2013
Florida
Basic all VG recipe for 10ml bottle

9ml VG + 1ML Distilled water= 10ml botttle.

If it's to thick add more distilled water by the drop until it's thin enough to vape.

Here's some recommended reading for further insight into DYI.

Read my blogs before getting started

E-Cigarette Forum - dannyv45 - Blogs

then read hoosier's blogs.

E-Cigarette Forum - Hoosier - Blogs

then read the stickies at the top of the page.

this will explain a lot of the how's and why's.

Okay - VERY daft question here, (you may want a glass of wine before you read it, lol)...

you gave:

Hangsen Chocolate cream 5%
TFA Hazelnut 2%
Hangsen toffee 1%

so does that mean that you put a total of 8% flavoring to your juice? How do you figure out a % of flavoring and does that % stay the same for adding any flavoring to a base (i.e. any flavoring should equal a total of 8% of the liquid)??? (I think I may be in over my head already, lol...) Thank you!!!

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
Hey everyone, thanks for the replies. It seems I managed to post twice so there's 2 threads going and I just saw all these great replies. I do vape nic and am working my way down hopefully. I just needed an idea of the simplicity or complexity of diy to get an understanding. I figured starting simple and moving up to more complex flavors and adding nic would be a safer/smarter approach. I appreciate all the responses and I will definitely post my results. Hopefully in a week or so I can start with some simple recipes.

Your approch is a very smart and if you do the suggested reading it will all become clear. Most importantly is understanding how to mix your base. Over flavoring may make the mix not taste good but it won't hurt you like to much nic will.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
Okay - VERY daft question here, (you may want a glass of wine before you read it, lol)...

you gave:

Hangsen Chocolate cream 5%
TFA Hazelnut 2%
Hangsen toffee 1%

so does that mean that you put a total of 8% flavoring to your juice? How do you figure out a % of flavoring and does that % stay the same for adding any flavoring to a base (i.e. any flavoring should equal a total of 8% of the liquid)??? (I think I may be in over my head already, lol...) Thank you!!!

The percent of each flavor is additive to the entire flavor total. for example if I were to change that recipe to let say

Hangsen Chocolate cream 7%
TFA Hazelnut 2%
Hangsen toffee 1%

then the total flavor would be 10%.

Most recommend never to go above 20% total flavor in a mix but to me that does not ring true as I've used up to 34% and have come up with some darn good mixes. It all depends on the potancy of the flavors. For instance some loranne flavorings don't start to get good until 21% or more and other loranne flavors are to much at 3%. It all depends on the potancy or concentration of the flavoring and believe me it's different for each flavor regardless of manufacture. So percentage or amount is a matter of trial and error and subject to the taste of each individual. So the best I can advise here is to start with the lowest recommended percentage and work up until your taste buds say it's good.

This by no means is rocket science and you should never tie yourself to a set of rules when it comes to flavoring. It's a kin to cooking. You add salt to soup, taste and add more if it's not salty enough. You make chocolate milk and add chocolate syrup to milk and taste. If it's not chocolatey enough add more chocolate syrup.

I see your using a sample from one of my blogs and the point of that blog was not percentages but how to enhance the flavor of chocolate mixes and how each flavor interacts with each other.

Last edited:

MissMcVayp

ECF Veteran
Dec 25, 2013
Florida
The percent of each flavor is additive to the entire flavor total. for example if I were to change that recipe to let say

Hangsen Chocolate cream 7%
TFA Hazelnut 2%
Hangsen toffee 1%

then the total flavor would be 10%.

Most recommend never to go above 20% total falvor in a mix but to me that does not ring true as I've used up to 34% and have come up with some darn good mixes. It all depends on the potancy of the flavors. For instance some loranne flavorings don't start to get good until 21% or more and other loranne flavors are to much at 3%. It all depends on the flavor.

I see your using a sample from one of my blogs and the point of that blog was not percentages but how to enhance the flavor of chocolate mixes and how each flavor interacts with each other.

Thank you... I get the feeling here I may end up throwing out a lot of juice :-( But I will just start with very small bottles

clh2121

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2014
Keota, Oklahoma, United States
Don't throw it out... remember some things will need time to come around.
I'll break it down so you see it's not that hard. From the Above... to make a 10mL @12mg 50/50. With 100mg base nic (PG)

Hangsen Chocolate cream 7% = 0.7mL
TFA Hazelnut 2%= 0.2mL
Hangsen toffee 1= 0.1mL
Nic (100mg in PG)= 1.2mL
PG= 2.8mL
VG= 5mL

Shake, Steep, what-have you.... and vape!

Evilocity

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Washington DC
Read my post more carefully sc12, I'm looking for an understanding of the basics of diy since I didn't see any readily available info about getting started. The idea isn't to just vape plain old vg, it's to establish a starting point. The idea is to build off of that. No sense for you to even post if your not going to provide useful info. I'm betting there's a lot of ppl who are just as curious as I am that may get their questions answered in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread