• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

A LOT of vendors blocked on govt computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guma

Verified Member
Jul 21, 2014
Tampa, FL
I am new to vaping and I am currently a deployed contractor in Afghan. Every day I find at least 10 different sites blocked on NIPR. I put them in an email to myself, and use SniperHill when I get back to my room to hit all the ones I couldn't hit at work.

They use some strange filtering system out here. I can't even get to Columbia Sportswear website. Its almost random how some stuff is blocked but others are not blocked.

k702

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
lost wages, sin city, NV
If the only way you have to get on the internet is a computer that is government property I guess that's one thing..

But the idea that anyone can't get through a day of work without checking out vape gear boggles my mind almost as much as the idea that people can't get through a trip to the store without vaping. I just personally don't understand it at all.

AaronY

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Santa Monica
If the only way you have to get on the internet is a computer that is government property I guess that's one thing..

But the idea that anyone can't get through a day of work without checking out vape gear boggles my mind almost as much as the idea that people can't get through a trip to the store without vaping. I just personally don't understand it at all.

I personally can't go more than 1/2 a hour. I think I might have a vape problem
vapingproblem3.jpg

Anyways I think it is wrong for the government to block access to life saving info.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Anyways I think it is wrong for the government to block access to life saving info.

Again, government resources are to be used for official business. Just like surfing non-business sites at a regular company can get you fired. Just because a business provides a computer and Internet access for your job doesn't mean it's carte blanche access.

AaronY

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Santa Monica
Again, government resources are to be used for official business. Just like surfing non-business sites at a regular company can get you fired. Just because a business provides a computer and Internet access for your job doesn't mean it's carte blanche access.
It is one thing to block the sites during work hours. I am for that. However, during lunch hours or after work I think it is a totally different thing that I am against..

ssgswjohnson

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2014
Fort Meade, MD
It boils down to whose computer you are using and who's network its on. If its nipr then be happy you have free web access. Bigger FOBs all had "dirty" internet you could pay for and it was completely unfiltered. That's what I had in my hooch on two of my deployments. The other three I was stuck with going to the mwr, hanging at work late, or going to wherever the USAF had their guys set up to get a connection.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
It is one thing to block the sites during work hours. I am for that. However, during lunch hours or after work I think it is a totally different thing that I am against..

Nope. Government AUPs are rather explicit in what you can and cannot do on government resources. If one can't abide by those rules, one is always welcome to find employment elsewhere.

Acceptable Use Policies that I draft for companies tend to be just as strict as those for the government. The last thing a corporation wants is a lawsuit because someone couldn't stay off an inappropriate site and was caught doing so by a co-worker. Therefore, corporate assets are to be used for business purposes only. Get caught surfing for personal use? Collect your check on the way out, please.

JackElectra

Verified Member
Jun 17, 2014
Franklin Square, New York, USA
I personally can't go more than 1/2 a hour. I think I might have a vape problem
vapingproblem3.jpg

I dont get it, I never went anywhere without my analog smokes, why would I go anywhere without something to vape on. Just my 2 cents

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Been noticing more and more recently when browsing the internet at work for juice or what have you. 90% of it is blocked, any one know why? The whole vape ban thing you think?

This is the message that I get

Access Denied (policy_denied)

Your system policy has denied access to the requested
URL.

For assistance, contact your network support
team.

Maybe they Don't want you Browsing for e-Liquids while you are Supposed to be Working?

;)

atroph

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Chesapeake, VA
Youtube has been blocked for a long time AFAIK. For deployed folks it comes down to bandwidth for streaming sites like youtube and such. The gov doesn't want to pay the money for all of that bandwidth.

I know in Bahrain there was a unit funded "MWR" dirty net that was used for recreational purposes for the folks close to the pier. Might be a good idea to get to know your local IT shop and see what is available in your area.

mac63

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2014
These guys have pretty much covered it. Things get blocked by IP, content, type of site, a word in the URL or description, or somebody just plain screwed up the rules when they updated the server files.
Try typing a string of x's in your email subj line and see what happens.

DISA - the first four letters of DISASTER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread