A neat way to make wicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

-KT-

Oct 12, 2017
I saw someone do something like this on YT, and I kind of modified it a little. It's worth a try. Seems to work well for me.

1) Cut a strip of organic cotton. Leave the outer layer ON.

2) Start working the strip "sideways" (across the grain) until it gets wide and looks like gauze.

3) Now work it the other way (with the grain) to elongate it.

4) It will naturally and eventually want to split into two pieces. Let this happen.

5) Now take the two pieces and roll them and stretch them slightly. Put tips on each one.

When you are done you will have very fluffy cotton that has fibers generally all lined in the same direction.
22716475ac77ca21cb2746154c1dec25.jpg
b51728352e98734d217b32d2a4663446.jpg
e52ea64dda8841ff05c6cfe2a9c8ccde.jpg
3948e9cff66b0aa688a98e0e18baa48d.jpg
1a92e99c730fc94399a898a3c19958a4.jpg

-KT-

Oct 12, 2017
That's pretty much the way I wick the VV Mesh rda except I use the whole square of cotton.

Sent from the future
LOL, yes. I had to get this through a little hole. I am interested in learning more about mesh!

I just started vaping a few weeks ago and already learned how to make simple coils and I am getting ready to start mixing my own juice.

Even with the cost of buying things, I am still spending less than I was on tobacco!

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
LOL, yes. I had to get this through a little hole. I am interested in learning more about mesh!

I just started vaping a few weeks ago and already learned how to make simple coils and I am getting ready to start mixing my own juice.

Even with the cost of buying things, I am still spending less than I was on tobacco!

Pull it all apart, roll it back up, cut the ends, and add 7mls of liquid.[emoji6]
3d556dd9e08a122c3f07aee62ff74057.jpg
7c99666d5803b9472c3782640d32a8f2.jpg

Sent from the future

-KT-

Oct 12, 2017
Reactions: stols001

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Sounds like the "Scottish roll" technique, although it's usually done with a lot more cotton. I do similar with rayon, and, with rayon especially, you really want to cram it in there tight as it can be. The end goal is to get a densely-packed wick, with all fibers running in the same direction. With cotton I'd use a little less, but still a lot.

-KT-

Oct 12, 2017
Sounds like the "Scottish roll" technique, although it's usually done with a lot more cotton. I do similar with rayon, and, with rayon especially, you really want to cram it in there tight as it can be. The end goal is to get a densely-packed wick, with all fibers running in the same direction. With cotton I'd use a little less, but still a lot.
Good to know. It must be the Scots in me, LOL.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Ditto: I think of that as the "Scottish Roll" wick. I've done it, and built composite wicks using long staple Japanese cotton outside with some short staple Egyptian rolled up in the middle. It was my go-to wick... for about a week and a half. Just as soon as I got good at it, somebody introduced me to rayon and I've never looked back :) Welcome to the board.

-KT-

Oct 12, 2017
Ditto: I think of that as the "Scottish Roll" wick. I've done it, and built composite wicks using long staple Japanese cotton outside with some short staple Egyptian rolled up in the middle. It was my go-to wick... for about a week and a half. Just as soon as I got good at it, somebody introduced me to rayon and I've never looked back :) Welcome to the board.
Yes, I am learning how important wicking is. I just came up with this, but I am sure I am not the first.

It's two pieces of cotton rolled together, then split.

The idea is to use the second well in addition to the first well - to feed the coil.

Also, I am learning there's two kinds of wicking. One kind is when you want the juice to travel (wick) - the other kind is when you just want the wicking material to act like a sponge (like in a well).
9a8f34b1ee25beab85958d5f5dd9cd92.jpg

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Yes, I am learning how important wicking is. I just came up with this, but I am sure I am not the first.

It's two pieces of cotton rolled together, then split.

The idea is to use the second well in addition to the first well - to feed the coil.

Also, I am learning there's two kinds of wicking. One kind is when you want the juice to travel (wick) - the other kind is when you just want the wicking material to act like a sponge (like in a well).
9a8f34b1ee25beab85958d5f5dd9cd92.jpg

Just so, which is why I built those composite wicks. The long fiber drew the juice in to the center, where the short fiber held it in close proximity to the coil. Works great, if a PITA to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread