Status
Not open for further replies.

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
I went to the IBTanked website to order some more cartos (for my Vapeocolypse stash, as I find the ones that they sell are the BEST in my opinion!) and a drip tip and saw this:

IBTanked is closing, as most of our customers know we are a small family business and the downturn in the vaping industry for us in the last couple of years has forced us to seek other endeavors. Because of this we do not have the time to provide our customers with the level of service they deserve. We have dragged this out too long now already and now have a backlog of late orders we are working to clear out.

If you have an order with us it will be shipped soon, if you would like to cancel the order for a refund then please just give us a call. Our number is on the contact page.

We want to tank all of our customers who supported us and were a part of our journey and hope you all find sources to continue with vaping products that help you in staying away from the smokes that brought many of us together years ago. If at some time in the future we are able to offer products to the vaping community we would be thrilled to once again serve you.

I knew it was coming because of the slow-down in fulfilling orders and such, but its a sad day for me, because they were such a great company and their carto-tanks were second to none! When I get home tonight I'll be filling one up and vaping the crap out of it!

Sad day indeed!

d15150c830f8dc92accc84b7318f5ca5.jpg

R.I.P. IBTanked

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
Certainly can't like this post. I feel as you do ckquatt, all my tanks are IBT's, and I still have some in my rotation. Great people in what was once a great customer oriented business. it would be great to see them come back someday in some form, but with things the way they are, I just don't see that happening. Good luck and best wishes IBT, you will be missed.

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
It's a very sad day. I've purchased many cartomizer tanks from IBTanked and they've always taken care of me and my orders. I was just on their site a few nights ago considering the purchase of some custom cut tubes. I wish OCD and his family the best. Another well known, long standing, and respected vendor bites the dust - it's a terrible time for the vaping community right now, thank you FDA :-x

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
Question. Are they closing because of other endeavors, the progression of the industry technically, or the FDA?

Perhaps all of the above?

My guess is the main reason is the drop in sales of carto tanks over the last few years.

I'm going to say it's because of the switch to "Bro Clouds" style vaping. There were less and less people touting the wonders of a good MTL setup, in particular the wonders of an IBTanked carto tank!

:(

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Does a Endura T-18 carto fit in a carto-tank?

No, the coil does not fit in a carto-tank, and that coil is very "carto-like",.

But it wouldn't NEED to fit in an old carto tank. the Prism tank is a great glass tank, stainless and glass, and it is top fill. Easy peasy. Why anybody would want to use a carto tank when they can use this esp. if they wanted to use the T-18 coil, escapes me.

Over a year ago DFW Vapor had IBTanks for $0.99 or something, in their clearance pile. I knew then that these carto tanks were going the way of dinosaurs. Cartos themselves were hard enough to get these days....

I know they had some illness in family or something and it was taking a long time to get orders some time ago........sorry, don't think ya can blame this one on the FDA.. Some products just age out of the vape industry system....

LoriP1702

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
It is sooo sad. :(
I actually spoke with him on the phone a couple of months ago, he said they were raising chickens. :)
He was soooooo nice, I bet we talked for 20 minutes.
I was happily vaping along with my IBT's, and then realized that they'd been out of cartos for a VERY long time, so I called.
Lots of good people, and our favorite vendors are going out of business...sad times. :cry:

subwayaznm

A Geek with a Cool slice
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2016
USA
Question. Are they closing because of other endeavors, the progression of the industry technically, or the FDA?

Perhaps all of the above?
I would have to agree; "all of the above." Plus mainstream Vaping got away from Cartos; so I would also agree that business volume had decreased.
Mad apes used to carry a wide selection of Cartos, but in quality. Not so much, or Fast Tech

Reactions: MMW

Vandal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2009
NE Ohio
I had thought to purchase some items from IBTanked. I actually went there a couple of nights ago, once I'd decided just what I wanted, and saw the closing notice. I waited too long.

Very sad. I'm one who just wants a good MTL vape. I remain bewildered at the cloud/sub-ohm camp and very disappointed at the solid, proven, functional gear that has gone by the wayside, making it hard or impossible for the rest of us to find.

Reactions: LoriP1702

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
For myself personally, I had begun dabbling into rebuildables for some time and found some success doing so.

The last time I attempted to setup a new carto in one of my IBTanked, I had five bad cartos in a row and had wasted about 10ml of good juice attempting to prime all five. I'd had some bad luck with bad batches of cartos before, so this was the last straw. I've been rebuilding almost exclusively since. My old cartos and tanks have been sitting in a drawer for nearly 2 years.

Rebuildables gave me complete control of my vape. I no longer was dependent upon the QC of a cartomizer manufacturer, I was. If I got a bad vape, I had no one to blame but myself. Plus, wire and cotton is much cheaper than a cartomizer and lasted much longer. There was no reason to keep using a cartomizer. Cotton or rayon used in a rebuildable is a better wick than polyfill. Wire coils in a rebuildable can last months compared to weeks in a carto.

I get those who are still using cartos and cartotanks. However, looking back, cartos were kind of a pain to prime properly; it took time and patience. But the quality control of cartomizers often was unacceptable, too, at least for me. Ikenvape had excellent quality control for a long time, but then Ikenvape's Chinese manufacturer began screwing with him and the quality became inconsistent. As we know, Ikenvape closed their doors earlier this year, too.

Improvements in vaping technology was the beginning of the end for cartomizers. Clearomizers improved their coil heads by designing them more like cartomizers, with larger coils and better wick materials. These coil heads were easier to replace than a cartomizer and were the same price or cheaper.

And as I pointed out above, those willing to learn how to rebuild found a better vaping experience.

Vape shops stopped carrying cartos and tanks in their stores because they stopped being popular and they took up a lot of shelf storage space that was better put to use by more profitable items. Vape shops could not make a profit with cartomizers or cartotanks, either.

When I worked at a vape shop, I tried to get management to sell IBTanked cartotanks. Management had discussions with Harry to attempt to work out a deal for a bulk buy of tanks, but since Harry was already selling his tanks at rock bottom prices, a deal couldn't be reached where our vape shop could make a profit. In addition, management was going into a different direction ---> RBA's and the newer generation of clearotanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread