Aarp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GtrSoloist

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2010
USA
This may have already been covered, but I'm curious if anyone in an official capacity has contacted AARP for a possible endorsement or a position on PV's?

I know they have a huge lobbying group and one would think with the health benefits of vaping as opposed to smoking that it might be a cause they are willing to get behind.

Cheaper health care costs and insurance premiums for their members could be another talking point.

frisco

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2010
Asheville
This may have already been covered, but I'm curious if anyone in an official capacity has contacted AARP for a possible endorsement or a position on PV's?

I know they have a huge lobbying group and one would think with the health benefits of vaping as opposed to smoking that it might be a cause they are willing to get behind.

Cheaper health care costs and insurance premiums for their members could be another talking point.

I'm wondering the same thing. I am a member of AARP. I think it would be worth a shot. I'm not totally sure if the fact that they supported the new health care law is such a bad thing. As far as health care goes something had to be done. The only reason I still work is for that benefit. Even at that my insurance isn't all that great. Don't get me wrong, I am so grateful to have it, I just don't know what the answer is on that one.

I think there is a good chance that if enough of the AARP members commented to them we might get some action.

It may be a good idea for us to be proactive with them and provide the facts rather than risk them coming out with an article crafted by the anti's.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
IDK their position.... I do know that they are careful with what they try to endorse. They usually listen to all sides, and try to represent their base. It will take some education and communication, as well as debunking the misinformation out there.

Vocalek

I don't know. They lobbied hard and long to pass Obamacare, so they might be well embedded (so to speak) with Big Pharma and the AMA. But who know?

Also, if we use terms like "Obamacare", we're asking for trouble. Just an observation. You would want to present a position of intelligent neutrality and/or informed pro-vaping, not radical extreme-right-wing dirty-trick propaganda (which is where that term comes from BTW, even if you don't personally think that way). Let's not pre-judge AARP. You may be correct on guessing their position, but have they been asked?

There are other medical opinions, other than the AMA, that have endorsed vaping (you probably know them better than I). Maybe we should ask AARP. After all, almost everyone (Rep/Dems/etc) want health care changes, and just disagree on how (or how to obstruct it).

One fact remains.... vaping is a valid form of damage-reduction for current smokers. Given the demographics of the ARRP base, that should be of interest to many of them. It should help keep health care costs down too. :2c:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread