The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

? about hacking up stuff?

Discussion in 'Vapor4Life' started by corybrown40, Dec 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. corybrown40

corybrown40 Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

I have been vaping about 3 months. And about 2 weeks ago I started coughing and hacking up some not so cool stuff. I looked in the health thread they said it may happen due to not smoking analogs anymore. just wondering if anyone else here has experienced this, and if it stops. Or could it be a pg irritation? I also have some mouth soreness mostly my gums. any opinions you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

2. NekoGurrl

NekoGurrl Super Member ECF Veteran

May 14, 2009
    Muskego, WI
    I started hacking up stuff pretty bad as well, thought I was sick at first but didn't feel bad. Drank plenty of water to keep hydrated, and it was over in about 4 days. I used to get winded walking up one flight of stairs, now breathing is not a problem. If it last more than a couple days, or you get any cold/flu symptoms go and have your doctor check it out. If you quit smoking analogs any other way you would see this kind of reaction as well.

I had some issues with PC at the beginning, but that also passed. Big thing to remember is hydration, drink plenty of good water. PG seems to dry you out.

3. Belletrist

Belletrist Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Dec 21, 2009
    Virginia
    i'm brand new to (i.e. haven't tried yet) vaping, but anytime i 'quit' smoking, that happens. it's almost certainly from quitting reg. cigs, not from starting vaping, unless you're having a reaction to something.

4. Thyestean

Thyestean Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 29, 2009
    Upstate NY
    I'm actually waiting for my lungs to clean themselves out in such a way.

I used to get up every morning and cough stuff up like that, sometimes to the point of getting sick. Since switching to vaping and quitting cigs altogether I haven't had a single morning of it.

5. cr12

cr12 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 28, 2009
    i didnt expierience that personally but i read enough, and thats very common, due to all the crap built up in your lungs.
    should pass soon, see it as a good thing your body is getting rid of the junk....

6. Drozd

Drozd Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    NW Ohio
    The stuff you're hacking up..lets see how to put this delicately...nasty mucousy phlem w brown and grey speckles?...that would be your lungs shedding the tar and crap..and yeah it can be normal..there are a couple juices out there that can help with that,,

The bit of mouth soreness (gums) can be a couple of things..one can be a slight PG irritation...the other is a possibility that I heard of is somewhat worse. It seems there's been at least one case I've heard of had to do with a menthol and clove smoker, which when he transitioned to vaping discovered that the numbness provided by the menthol and cloves was masking underlying dental problems..

7. corybrown40

8. Taryn

Taryn Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Oct 21, 2009
    Florida
    Cory, this is almost as sexy as the thread about you in a speedo!!

Just teasing, yes it's normal to hack up the goop that has built up in your lungs, with some people it can start quickly, with others it takes longer. I add extra vg to many of my juices from V4L, still taste great but it does cut down on the nic per vape which is probably a good thing as I chain vape!

9. jj2

jj2 Moved On ECF Veteran

May 30, 2009
    Hundred Acre Wood
    I couldn't have put it more delicately.

10. corybrown40

ya i thinl i went a litle far with the speedo.:shock:

11. crashtestjeep

crashtestjeep Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 14, 2009
    Wilmington, NC

Me too, Thy-although I DID have a few weeks during my 2-3 month period where id hack up some stuff but I looked up smoking cessation on google and found it to be normal....then it went away and I never looked back! Hope alls well w/the OP and things have smoothed over!

12. Adrenalynn

Adrenalynn Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Smoking paralyzes and damages cilia in the lungs, sinus, and bronchial passage. The main chemicals from cigarette smoke that have this effect are CO, Methane, and Arsenic.

The cilium in the bronchial passage are there to sweep particles that might enter the lungs, and within the lungs, they're there to sweep up mucus and foreign particles. There are really two types: motile cilia and non-motile cilia. The motile cilium sweep with a wavelike motion in one direction - moving junk out. The non-motile cilium are a kind of "sensory organ" that detect the foreign bodies and signal the production of mucus.

As they heal, they'll mostly begin working again. That said - inhaled nicotine still paralyzes them by itself to some far smaller extent, but you're not further coating them with a thick layer of "tar" or introducing the toxic gasses like CO, Arsenic, and Methane. As they begin working again, they'll do their jobs and sweep out the lungs, and you'll start coughing up the foreign matter that they should have dealt with in the first place.

Because of the paralysis, we have subjected ourselves to environmental pollutants like dust, dirt, airborne toxins, etc that would have otherwise been "stopped at the border" or dealt with over that period. Things that a non-smoker's lungs would have removed naturally, we've built it up over time. The mucus membranes will still encase the toxins, but we just don't have the facilities to remove them.

Cilium heal fairly quickly for the most part. The productive cough could start as soon as a few days, and last as long as 4-6weeks. If the cough is non-productive after a week or so and/or lasts longer than eight weeks, I'd strongly suggest consulting a physician.

The dead ones stay dead though, unfortunately, so the system will never again function at 100% efficiency...

13. Thyestean

Thyestean Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 29, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Yeah ctj maybe if I get out from in front of the pc once in awhile it'd happen sooner lol

14. corybrown40

That is the most informative thing i have ever read about mucus. I mean it as a compliment very informative thx.

15. Adrenalynn

[curtsey]

I could have gone on at length about microtubuals and basal bodies and protein damage impairment, but figured I'd spare ya'll as much of the [literally] nitty-gritty as possible. ;)

Glad you found it helpful though! Best I could do in a couple readable paragraphs.

Here's what they look like under a SEM (Scanning Electron Microscope):

[​IMG]

16. Davo

Davo Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 17, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    That's very good stuff there Adrenalynn (as usual!!!) we'll have to start refering to you as the Great OZ (LOL). I've been vaping over two months and I haven't had that sort of reaction, ALTHOUGH I do breath sooo much better. Perhaps I digested it rather expectorating ( I think that correct for hocking up stuff), Don't know.

17. v1John

v1John Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    va
    Here is an animation in the article about the mucociliary escalator, hopefully it starts to bring bad stuff out once people are no longer around cigarette smoke:

mucociliary escalator

18. v1John

v1John Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    va
    Now how in the world do the little tentacles know which way it is towards the mouth end?

[​IMG]

( :lol: what if they're left-handed?)

19. dEEzPuffs

dEEzPuffs Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 24, 2010
    Southern Cal
    If the phlegm is yellow or green then it could be something else.

20. Adrenalynn

They're called cilia, and that question is answered in my post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.