Not open for further replies.

tybin

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
WA
if you are using gp lr attys, they have a higher ohm so it should be fine.
I have been using a ego usb from goodprophets for 4 weeks with LR's with any problems thinking about getting another one if this one will go out. All my friends love the vape that it has. I hope it doesn't kill.

vapspaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
SC
Wait... LR Atties from some vendors are safe? Ah drat! Now my brain won't let me quit until I find out if mine is... um... of a safe "ohm".

Unless I missed something here you should NOT think of LR atties as "NOT SAFE". They are "SAFE" but will shorten the life span of your PV. Somewhere back a few pages in this thread this has already been clarified by someone (can't remember who) but they stated this very well. Basically YOU need to make the decision if you are willing to shorten the life of your power source (battery) for a better vape. And keep in mind that these things ARE disposable anyhow so they are gonna die sooner OR later no matter what.

Last edited:

vapspaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
SC
Unless I missed something here you should NOT think of LR atties as "NOT SAFE". They are "SAFE" but will shorten the life span of your PV. Somewhere back a few pages in this thread this has already been clarified by someone (can't remember who) but they stated this very well. Basically YOU need to make the decision if you are willing to shorten the life of your power source (battery) for a better vape. And keep in mind that these things ARE disposable anyhow so they are gonna die sooner OR later no matter what.

Found the post that I was referring to. As usual they were great informative post from Zen and Jonny.

JonnyVapΣ;2126240 said:
Statistics say no. The quest for the ultimate vaping experience screams yes! While you generally may have good experiences with low resistance just realize the increased chance for failure. That's all. The problem with "e-cigs" is people get too attached to their devices. Most likely due to the joy and pleasure they bring to them. If you live in reality and can accept the fact that these devices are not fail-proof nor do they last forever you'll ultimately end up a much happier vaper. My suggestion? Vape what you like. If you've been enjoying those LR atomizers with your equipment without any issues then keep at it. Just don't get too upset about it if it does expire prematurely. Save the sadness for something more important. Besides, a dead "e-cig" = chance to try something new.

One additional point that many people don't seem to realize;
There are "High" resistance Atomizers/Cartomizers [near 3.7 ohm or above]
"Normal" resistance Atomizers/Cartomizers [near 3.2 ohm]
"Medium" resistance Atomizers/Cartomizers [near 2.5 ohm]
"Low" resistance Atomizers/Cartomizers [near or under 2.0 ohm]

I use cartomizers and atomizers in the 2.0 - 2.5 ohm range on my 3.7v devices and "Normal" cartomizers on my 5v.

The reason this is here is because Hoogie started it to explain why some people may have experienced bad power supply units.

Ok, so before everybody gets all alarmist and stuff... I want to state some stuff:

1) There is NO battery or power supply unit that is going to last forever.

2) Just because a battery will have a shorter life, OR it may die entirely, does not mean you should flat-out avoid LR Atty/cartos.

It ONLY means they will be possibly more expensive to use.

I REALLY enjoy using LR Cartos on my 510s and eGos, and I will continue to use them... I LOVE the way they perform. Yep, I've popped some 510 batteries... oh well. I haven't popped an eGo yet, but I know it will happen sooner than later.

I don't care.

SMOKING COSTS OVER 10 bucks a day here in NY... Vaping saves me so much money I can afford to whomp all over SEVERAL eGo power supplies a WEEK and still be ahead! (plus I'm saving enough to buy a new truck... amazing)

So... everybody... get back to whatever you were doing. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain... nothing to see here.

FEEL FREE TO VAPE LR with ANYTHING you wish... an early demise of a battery is SURELY better than smoking, and if you enjoy using LR, then USE IT! Just don't complain when you have hardware failures... Higher performance almost ALWAYS means lower reliability... ask anybody that owns a race car!

ENJOY VAPING LR... and STOP WORRYING!

At the end of the day we're talking about a cheap battery that costs less than two packs of smokes!

Did you complain when you were BURNING MONEY? LOL... probably... but hey, ENJOY LR... It's WAY cheaper than smoking!

</end of public service announcement>

vapspaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
SC
Ok, I guess I didn't choose my wording carefully. I didn't mean to imply that LR= Death. I just meant "safe" to use without risk of signifigantly decreasing the life of the battery. Sorry if my bad diction ruffled feathers.

LOL Ya gotta go a long ways to ruffle my feathers. I misunderstood your post and was just trying to help is all.

Sdh

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
U.S.
I am currently using a gp mega LR atty for my 900 battery. Yes it draws twice the power. I am far from being an electronics expert. It does take twice the power. So my battery won't last as long. Instead of 4-5 months it will be dead sooner. (I hope I can get 2 months). The bottom line for me is....it is worth it for the hit of a LR atty. Until I step up with a mod or whatever.(Very confused on upgrades.)

Until I started LR I was tempted by analogs. Now I don't have that urge. I was smoking two cigs a day. Now I am down to one until my pack is gone. I am done with analogs finally since changing to the LR. I still will use cartomizers for driving, work, and outdoors.

I just hope the TW LR atties are like GP.

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
I have 4 Rivas and 2 eGo/Tornado units that I use in a haphazard rotation. Been using these same batteries for the better part of this year... and most of them look pretty rough. The paint is scratched, the chrome and "gold" accents are discolored... they've had a rough life. Through all of that, I've only had one "cell" (not battery system) "go soft" and not deliver decent voltage or capacity. Just one.

I believe most of the hype that these batteries are good for between 200 and 400 discharge cycles. It makes sense that using a higher discharge (or charge) current will reduce this number, but I've seen NOTHING that leads me to believe that the reduction due to going from 2.5 to 1.5 Ohms is "substantial" or "dramatic".

As I mentioned before, if your atty or cartomizer drops into the 1 Ohm range the eGo/Riva MOSFET will fail (exploiting the flaw in the protection circuitry). But I have seen absolutely nothing that leads me to believe that you won't get a nice long, healthy life out of one of these systems if the atty/cartomizer doesn't "go defective" and stays at 1.5 Ohms or above.

Zen~

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
Spencerport, NY
I have seen absolutely nothing that leads me to believe that you won't get a nice long, healthy life out of one of these systems if the atty/cartomizer doesn't "go defective" and stays at 1.5 Ohms or above.

It seems to me that your sample set on which you have based your hypothesis may be a wee bit too small to come to that conclusion, as compared to the supplier that has seen enough returns to have warranted the creation of this thread.

I believe you have had that experience, but that's a far cry from a large enough sampling to categorically state folks will experience a long healthy life from the product.

Not that it matters, because the LR atty is worth the risk, whether it exists or not.

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
It seems to me that your sample set on which you have based your hypothesis may be a wee bit too small to come to that conclusion, as compared to the supplier that has seen enough returns to have warranted the creation of this thread.

I believe you have had that experience, but that's a far cry from a large enough sampling to categorically state folks will experience a long healthy life from the product.

Not that it matters, because the LR atty is worth the risk, whether it exists or not.

I believe that virtually every unit that Hoogie has had come back has failed either due to DOA, or a blown MOSFET.

Unless he corrects me on that, I'll maintain my opinion.

P.S. I'm the unofficial repair/analysis depot for one of the larger suppliers in the Midwest...... I've seen more than a few "popped" eGo's.

P.P.S. I should probably add that I don't much care. I don't have a horse in the race, I just wanted people to understand what I believe is the real failure mechanism and to subdue some festering fears and misconceptions.

Last edited:

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
I'm sorry. Today I read most of this information packed thread. Unfortunately, I hadn't done that before I made Post #177, and it seems to me now that my post was a bit of a faux pas. Sorry.

Oh, and thanks y'all, I learned a lot by reading and researching further some of the terminology which was unfamiliar to me. :)

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
Scott,
you are sort of being unfair to the poor ignorant vapers out their (not a reference to any posters in this thread) that can't seem to relate to their e-cig as a piece of electronic equipment rather than a tobacco cigarette that takes very little thought to operate. I myself don't have a large enough sample to determine root cause or calculate failure rates, but I have this sense that those less astute vapors will experience more failures than those that pay attention to how their e-cig is working. I have not experienced a single failure with the "few" eGos and ego look alikes that I have access to (the wife's stash). I have cast off models that have failed but other than a mechanical and electrical postmortem, cannot actually determine the operating conditions that let to failure. Just the results of what happened when it did fail.
Maybe different models of the eGo clones use different components but I thought most used a controller based on the DW01 Li-ion protection circuit. Does the Joye eGo use this chip?
The protection board in the cheap 18650 batteries does. The two stage short circuit/over current detection using Mosfet voltage drop under fire :) seems to allow currents up to 4 amps through the 8501 Mosfet used on these boards. Maybe that is too much for the Mosfets used in the eGo. Or, maybe you are correct that the manufacturer picked the wrong Mosfet in the first place (incorrect on resistance to allow controller to detect over current properly). Or, maybe just too much dissipation, and the Mosfet bites the dust. Now, granted, these cheap cells aren't 100% reliable, but 4 amps should take care of anything an eGo user "should" be throwing at it.

Mosfet failures being the weakest link? or design flaw? My money is on the Mosfet failing being the second highest failure, behind the first place winner, "users caused failures", then of course coming in a close third is manufacturing Quality Control.
Your low failure rate, is due to your finesse in operating a device that you know the inner workings of. Not fair :).

and for the benefit of those that have no idea what's inside and couple photos. A Hello 16 crispy critter, and a Li-ion protection board.

EDIT: the chip used in the ego types is not the DW01. I spoke before putting on the 'Thick' glasses.

Last edited:

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
Just to save you the trouble, I'll post my own reply to my previous post.

Rocket,
You are obviously delusional about your knowledge of e-cig secret inner workings. Not being as smart as I am, and having a much cooler avatar, how dare you question my superior expertise and experience. I am the one that "puts" the smoke in these magic chips in the first place.

:)
Please note the included smiley.

Last edited:

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
I might have to wait until the wife goes to sleep and take a good Ego apart, and accuse her of losing one.
Kind of hard to trace out the circuit on the popped ones, especially when all the circuit isn't there :)
I just might have a tendency to pick on folks that don't want to accept blame when it's their fault when a product fails. Sure it would be better it they would include the $2 monkey proof circuit in them, but that would just drive up the cost.
How many times have you read a complaining post and just felt the poster just doesn't get it?
Do I think Scottbee knows his Egos? Sure I do, and I'm sure he can also picture in his mind the Mosfet channel opening up, and the electrons running around in there stirring up the smoke with each puff.
But, I do have to try and liven things up around here.

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
I just took apart another Ego clone, the Vgo and the circuit is much different than the hello 16 in the photo I posted.
It does not use the same circuitry. Still haven't traced it out or tried to cross the chips used but it is different.
So, everything I said with respect to someone's bad design comment just might be due to my ignorance of what is inside a genuine Ego, which may be even different yet (wife is still awake).
I should have realized the circuit was different because the DW01 does not have the means to flash the cute little LED at you. Everyone knows how much we love that feature :)

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
On the Hello16 there is a small gap between covers and shell. More like an edge, I vise the little sucker up and use a box cutter blade as a sharp little chisel. Tap with cutest little ball peen hammer until it starts to separate. Cut wire from bat neg to bottom cover and push it all out the top. There's probably a special tool that the repair guys get :)

And, I be backtracking even more. The Hello16 doesn't use the DW01 chip either. My bad.
The reason I'm interested is to come up with an off the shelf cheap controller board, like less than a dollar. The protection board is close to doing it, but would not do everything "off the shelf". That, and I like telling people that most of their failres are their fault :)

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
Just to save you the trouble, I'll post my own reply to my previous post.

Rocket,
You are obviously delusional about your knowledge of e-cig secret inner workings. Not being as smart as I am, and having a much cooler avatar, how dare you question my superior expertise and experience. I am the one that "puts" the smoke in these magic chips in the first place.

:)
Please note the included smiley.

Ya saved me some typin'....

Thanks!

;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread