About to buy a russian 91%! First rebuildable!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garym93

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2014
New Jersey
Hey so I'm about to buy a russian atty and I want to be sure exactly what I should be using to build my coil. I saw a YouTube video of someone building a regular coil where the wires don't touch, and I saw pbusardo making a microcoil where they do. My question is which is best? And if I build myself a microcoil what kind of eko wool should I use with it? I just want to make sure when I get everything I have everything I need to build a good coil and I just feel like there's a lot of different info around and I'm a little confused honestly. Can anyone help me?

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
Yeah you'll be fine with 28 & eko wool. The Russian works well with most any build. Prefer micro coil builds, and my fave build for the Russian is the inverted V-twin dual series vertical mounted coil with hemp fiber external wick. Best silica build is the Special 8. But you have to start some where, Keep it simple first, check out the micro coil thread, and then go from there. The Russian was my first rba too. Still use it and love it.

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
Hey so I'm about to buy a russian atty and I want to be sure exactly what I should be using to build my coil. I saw a YouTube video of someone building a regular coil where the wires don't touch, and I saw pbusardo making a microcoil where they do. My question is which is best? And if I build myself a microcoil what kind of eko wool should I use with it? I just want to make sure when I get everything I have everything I need to build a good coil and I just feel like there's a lot of different info around and I'm a little confused honestly. Can anyone help me?

The main advantage of a microcoil over a regular coil is ease of rewicking and extra toughness , not as easily pulled out of shape IMO , everybody has their own preferences as far as wire gauge , wick material and resistance , for me the sweet spot is 1.5-1.7 ohms 28 ga 9-10 wraps around a 2mm drillbit wicked with cotton , yours maybe different but 28 or 30ga wire microcoil with the wick of your choice should be a good start .

Rob0506

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2011
Renton, WA
You may have problems with Ekowool, that stuff is thick and not real flexible. It's hard to make bends in a dripper, and the Russian has a much smaller build area. If it gives you trouble, jus thit the pharmacy for some organic cotton. In the end I think it's the best way to wick them anyway. It allows you to change out the wick without changing the coil.

Yeug

Mar 21, 2014
Australia
No it's a v1. I got 28 gauge kanthal and 3mm eko wool for wick. Will I be able to at least start with that?

This should work fine. You can use them or if you want to try micro coils, 100% cotton is the only thing you need and they are cheap to get. It depends on your taste really, if you like the taste with ekowool then great! :D

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Microcoils are easy to work with. Much easier than simple wrapped coils. They take a little longer to setup, but they can be placed, moved around, and rewicked easier than other coils.

Now, as for your Russian, I would suggest starting off with a few basic microcoils just to get the feel of the thing. Once you feel comfortable building coils for it, then you've got to try this........

Twisted wire chimney coil.

I did a 30g twisted wire, then used that to make a 1.5ohm chimney coil on my Kayfun, and let me tell you, it beats every other coil build I've tried by a wide margin. Vapor and flavor galore.

poconojo

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2010
Florida
If you decide to get the Russian 91% make sure you break the device down completely and clean really well. I had a lot of machine oil in the parts. I soaked it in alcohol for 24 hours after I cleaned it. If you don't, you will get a bad taste no matter what coil you build. Some people use ultrasonic cleaners for their atomizers. Also make sure you have a multimeter to check your ohms if you are using a mechanical mod. I would go with the micro coils with organic cotton and 28g kanthal wire. You can get the cotton at Walgreens for cheap. Make sure it is organic 100% cotton. The micro coils are your best bet in my opinion. The Russian is a good atomizer once you learn how to build it. I think Rip Trippers has a good video for building this atomizer, but he can be a little goofy sometimes. He does know how to build good coils though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread