Absolute-Wood Custom Holders Showcase Thread! New Line of Holders Too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
8629682263_cd75821cd3_b.jpg

Hello to all my vape Dudes (and Dude-ettes) out there!

Thanks for a great year in 2012 - Thought I'd show off some of the custom holders I've made for all the fine folks here and debut the beginnings of my new line of holders to incorporate battery chargers.

I'll have photos of the first one out of the shop in a few days; in the mean time, here is the drawing of it. The width and all the laminations made it kinda' pricey, but I've included prices so you could see:

8629598275_5dcf7d595f_b.jpg

This one is already spoken for (shhh, for my Wife, birthday soon). She's getting a Vamo and a bunch of goodies to go with it just before her birthday, on our anniversary.

On the left, the holder will hold the Trustfire TR-001 dual charger, a Stainless Vamo, it's extension sleeve, 18350 & 18650 batteries, a few clearomizers and a U-CAN 8ml stainless steel liquid dispenser. The right side is for her Alpha, CR2 batteries (she stacks for 6v), 510 attys and drip tips, and her XTAR charger. The holder had to be put together in three steps. The Walnut/Padauk/Walnut pieces had to be laminated together first - two of them. Then the triple stripe of Oak/Purple Heart/Oak was laminated between the two other laminations.

I'll include drawings of other designs to incorporate chargers into them further down in the thread after we take a look at several of the custom holders made recently:

8559238648_b0ce99bc19_b.jpg

The above is a good example of a triple stripe lamination. This holder is Padauk/Oak/Walnut/Oak/Padauk.

8559238724_391fc28400_b.jpg

These small holders are made of Walnut. Notice the smaller hole in the bottoms of some holes. These are for tanks, and the connector sits in the smaller hole. The large PV holes are flocked - black.

8559238720_d9e65313cf_b.jpg

Another view of the two small holders.

8558131515_c579459e3b_b.jpg

This matching pair were cut from the same piece of figured Curly Maple. Red flocking in the PV holes and on the bottoms.

8558131457_712ba8d459_b.jpg

See the small "gold" buttons? These are rather strong magnets, causing the holders to "click" together". Note the unusual defect discovered in the wood. Figured woods owe much of their appearance to these anomolies which cause the "buckling" of the grain. Quite beautiful. Wood is awesome...

8559238868_d74f9431f8_b.jpg

Closer view of the end grain.

8559238856_069ed7800c_b.jpg

Another triple stripe holder; Walnut with Oak/Purple Heart/Oak stripes. Holds (3) PVs, (4) tanks and (4) 18xxx batteries. Made for a very nice person here on the forum.

8558131641_5cd3b678a1_b.jpg

These highly customized holders are made from Walnut with Padauk stripes - one of my favorite mixes, the woods just compliment one another so well.

These are a bit oversized - not just in their height, but in their depth as well. They're double and triple height, and over 2" depth (standard is 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" deep). The unusual holes are for PVs with a side button, like a GG. All the PV holes and slots are flocked in black.

8484181121_2c28485e1e_b.jpg

A top down look at the previous holders, along with a single and double height set (normal depth) made around the same time.

8485275976_254dd14ea3_b.jpg

Close look at the flocking & the specialized hole. The flocking is sprayed on, is made of nylon (tough), and doesn't decrease the size of the hole appreciably.

8632977425_cc3856abe0_b.jpg

OK- we got major wood going on here! These were great fun to make for a fun customer! They are a stepped Oak holder set. Medium Oak stain, tan flocking.

8634084548_b3989f5087_b.jpg

Powerful magnets for lightly joining all three holders end to end. The holders are over 15" long, 4 1/2" deep, and 3" tall.

8632977495_ba4470c5cd_b.jpg

Here they are, joined end to end. Meant to span the length of a 4' desk.

8634084424_ba7b480f49_b.jpg

A fourth holder, this one a mix of holes from the set of three. This is the "portable" one... :p Could also be used as a blunt instrument in an emergency. Weighs about 5 pounds! Kick ...!

8633008393_69333f4530_b.jpg

Another Oak holder; this one in Light Oak Stain. This stand has a couple unusual features, including 510 female thread bosses (thanks for the great idea). Handy for securing a rebuilbable while working on it. One on top in the red flocking, others in the bottoms of two of the four tank holes.

8632977167_be8d91ee0d_b.jpg

Close up of the 510 thread connector sitting in the ornamental recess between two of the four PV holes (only two flocked - so far...) Bright Red flocking.

All righty then - getting late, and 4:30am comes too early. I need to work on some final touches of the first few holder designs to incorporate battery charger slots. I should be able to get to those and get some put up in the next day or so.

Thanks for listening, and see you in a day or two!

Last edited:

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Your stands are so cool! Great stuff, and you are right, wood is awesome.

Thanks so much - I'm a fan of your work - I especially like the PV of Wenge with the angled tank / connector - you do great work. I just went and checked it out again, and noticed the Cocobola one. Plus the Walnut bottle makes me want a lathe!

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
When you get done with hers you better make another. I'll be first in line to get it. That would look great filled with Zens, Poldiacs and QZIs :vapor:

Thanks - now that it's designed, it's layout will become one of the "stock" holders. I'm drawing on a few designs as I type, and some variations on those. Should get them up tonight.

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Very nice...I have a 4 foot shelf above the library table I use for a computer desk....mmmmmmm.....

It would be cool to make a holder that would hang over and below the shelf. Also, a step type holder would probably do well on a shelf or a mantle.

That gives me an idea - I've made a few fireplace mantles... never thought about drilling them for PV use!

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Here are the first few designs:

Prices are for the wooden holder only. Chargers not included - I only have one of each!

Honestly, I thought about offering chargers (maybe batteries), but it'd take eons to sell the quantities I would need to get to be able to offer them at the same price we can buy them out on the web.

Click any image to see full size

I've shown the designs with the TrustFire TR-001 double charger, which is the largest I have. Other chargers can be subsituted. These holders, for the most part, can have holes removed to make way for PVs, tanks, attys, etc...

Last edited:

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Hi all-

Wanted to give a quick update: The #1 holder (drawing at the top of the thread) is done! Just finished the flocking on it tonight. Tomorrow I can blow the excess flocking off of it, load it up (all the goodies have arrived), and shoot some pics to put up. Then I have to hide it all till May 13...

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
Here's the first pic of holder-01 from the drawing at the top of the thread:
Click on the images to see them in a larger size.

A view with the holder empty.

And loaded up! I actually had to paste the Trustfire charger into this pic because I discovered that the new one I ordered is longer than the one I used to size the hole(it's white) - and it's only a few years old. So, it's back to the mill for this guy... Or, maybe dye the white one? Really hate to put a finished holder back on the mill, especially to have to extend a flocked hole a little.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread