The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

accidentally left battery charging

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by solipsistic xerophyte, May 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. solipsistic xerophyte

solipsistic xerophyte Senior Member Verified Member

Nov 3, 2014
    southern california
    So last night I guess I was more tired than I anticipated and forgot to unplug my charger before knocking out. I was charging a 18350 battery. As soon as I woke up I remembered and immediately unplugged the charger. I left the battery sitting all day and just checked it on my multimeter and it reads 4.18 volts. I also checked it on my sigelei and it read 4.2 volts. I am th overly cautious type though so I just wanted to ask you guys if you think the battery is still safe or if I should properly dispose of it.

2. yuseffuhler

yuseffuhler Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2015
    Houghton, MI
    It should be fine. I've done that a time or two and my batteries are still ok. Most chargers will not overcharge a battery, so they just hover around 4.2.

3. Thrasher

Thrasher ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 28, 2012
    Madeira beach, Fla
    I wouldn't give it a second thought on today's chargers they are designed to hold a battery at or near 4.2.

• Like Like x 1
  4. solipsistic xerophyte

Nov 3, 2014
    southern california
    Great thanks for putting my mind at ease.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ElConquistador

ElConquistador Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Mar 24, 2013
    Oklahoma
    I do it all the time. I won't ever leave the house while charging, but I often leave them on for a few hours after they're charged

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rocketpunk

Rocketpunk Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 14, 2012
    Dayton, Ohio
    You're fine. If it's a Trustfire charger, I'd still baby that battery and take it off when the charge indicator turns from red to green. Nitecores, on the other hand, are a little bit safer and more reliable. In the future I would spring for a quality charger.

7. solipsistic xerophyte

Nov 3, 2014
    southern california
    Next week I'll be ordering a nitecore as well as some other supplies and goodies. Just have to wait for payday.

I checked the battery about six times haha just to be safe and I'm trying not to chain vape. So far so good but I'm going to be extra cautious for now. Next time I won't be charging batteries so late at night.

8. donwuan

donwuan Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 17, 2013
    GA
    2015 didn't know people still did this.

9. ScandaLeX

ScandaLeX ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 6, 2013
    PhiLLy
    I leave mine in the charger all the time.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wolfenstark

Wolfenstark Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 1, 2014
    Perth , Australia
    Most good chargers these days will not overcharge batteries.
    Check the box / instructions to be sure.

11. Bunnykiller

Bunnykiller ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 17, 2013
    New Orleans La.
    I heard that leaving your battery on charge too long creates a black hole and the battery will get sucked into it never to be seen again :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Bunnykiller

Bunnykiller ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 17, 2013
    New Orleans La.
    how do you use them if they are in the charger all the time? ;)

• Like Like x 2
  13. DaveSignal

DaveSignal Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 23, 2014
    Maryland
    OP should invest in a decent charger. LUC v4, XTAR VP, even a Nitecore. There is a reason these cost a little more than a usb trickle charger.

14. WattWick

WattWick Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Feb 16, 2013
    Cold Norway
    A decent charger should have no problem charging over night. The reason we shouldn't is because all electronics can fail. The advice also allows for some leeway for those who don't know a quality charger is a worthwhile investment. Consider it a whole lot of situational ifs and buts condensed into one easy to remember rule of thumb: "Don't charge unattended".

It's not that big of a deal. Still; not worth playing a chances game (however low the probabilities) if it can be easily avoided.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Thrasher

Thrasher ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 28, 2012
    Madeira beach, Fla
    I won't leave a charger on when I leave the house but I never gave a thought to falling asleep. I also keep my charger on the stove top. Hard to burn something made to get hot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.