Adapter to raise atty resistance. Help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason365

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2009
ATX
Ok, I never pay attention when I read something important. So I need a little help with this mod.

I want to take an old 510 atty tube and put a resistor or diode in it with the leads of it soldered to the center connector and the put a battery connector in the top and also solder the other lead to that center pin.

Basically making and adapter to lower the voltage. ie. to make a 2.3 ohm 510 atty run at 3.3 ohms or more. once I screw the atty to my new adapter.

I need some links or specs on what to get, I think I can only put 1 of these diodes or resistors in the adapter. I would like to even shorten the atty tube to make it as small as possible with out crushing said diode or resistor.

Ralph T

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Ok, I never pay attention when I read something important. So I need a little help with this mod.

I want to take an old 510 atty tube and put a resistor or diode in it with the leads of it soldered to the center connector and the put a battery connector in the top and also solder the other lead to that center pin.

Basically making and adapter to lower the voltage. ie. to make a 2.3 ohm 510 atty run at 3.3 ohms or more. once I screw the atty to my new adapter.

I need some links or specs on what to get, I think I can only put 1 of these diodes or resistors in the adapter. I would like to even shorten the atty tube to make it as small as possible with out crushing said diode or resistor.

I just did a box mod with diodes. Radio Shack sells three different 3 amp diodes. You could use one of any of these to drop the voltage to the atty down by a fixed .82 volts. It will fit in the tube. So, if you have a 6 volt source, this one diode will drop it down to 5.18 volts, (3.7 drops to 2.88). See this mod for details.

Now for the 510 battery connector that you need go to MadVapes LLC. They are in the mod section.

If you want to see how the change in voltage affects performance, have a look at the chart in this post.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the white band on the diode goes on the negative side of things. In this case on the center pin closest to your atomizer. If you get it backwards it wont hurt anything. Of course no current will flow either leading to a VERY disappointing vaping experience!!!

Last edited:

Jason365

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2009
ATX
Ok while I am on the subject of making and adapter out of an old atty tube..

Would it work to put a 5 volt regulator in the atty tube?

That little one from madvapes looks like it should go in there just fine. as that would be a better solution maybe. a constant 5 volts instead of just taking some of the battery power as the batteries discharge.

Edit, Oh and thanks Ralph.

Ralph T

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Ok while I am on the subject of making and adapter out of an old atty tube..

Would it work to put a 5 volt regulator in the atty tube?

That little one from madvapes looks like it should go in there just fine. as that would be a better solution maybe. a constant 5 volts instead of just taking some of the battery power as the batteries discharge.

Edit, Oh and thanks Ralph.

Wow, that little guy is pretty small. It should work. It should also be a supreme test of your patience and skill getting it soldered in there!!! Good luck, and post a pic when your done.

Last edited:

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
Something to think about.... in lieu of an old atty tube, you might want to pick up a charger extender (like the ones that TW carries for the Tornado). They're basically ready to go. You can either open the side up to add your regulator, diode or resistor.... or you can pull the battery end off and do your surgery from that end.

Just a thought.

Jason365

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2009
ATX
Something to think about.... in lieu of an old atty tube, you might want to pick up a charger extender (like the ones that TW carries for the Tornado). They're basically ready to go. You can either open the side up to add your regulator, diode or resistor.... or you can pull the battery end off and do your surgery from that end.

Just a thought.

Dang I for a second I thought there was a little door on the side of the extender...:rolleyes:

But yeah, that is not a bad idea to use some of them. Might be a little easier. But I do have a few old atty tubes and battery connectors from my mod stash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread