retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
I use the AdBlock Plus plugin for both FF and Chrome and I never see any ads on this forum. :p

:D

You do realize that AdBlock has sold out to the devil and takes payments for whitelisting advertising? UBlock Origin is far superior and is lighter on system resources.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    You do realize that AdBlock has sold out to the devil and takes payments for whitelisting advertising? UBlock Origin is far superior and is lighter on system resources.

Thanks, I'll look into that ASAP.

I use ABP because it seemed to be more user-friendly at the time when I was looking for an ad blocker plugin (years ago). But I'll be looking at UBlock very soon.

Thanks for the tip!

retired1

Administrator
    Admin
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    I never see ads on my phone - forum accessed through my gmail app.

For Android, I use Blockada. Works with all browsers by using a rather extensive Hosts List. You'll need to install F-Droid to install it, but F-Droid is safe to use.

The thing I absolutely love about Blockada is it also blocks ads in games. So those free games you install which bombard you with advertising are now rather enjoyable with nary an ad seen. :D

United States

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 17, 2018
    RVA
    If it was search related I would see flashlights, car parts, skateboard shoes and screwdtivers.
    Nothing, absolutely nothing to do with marijuana products. Not even beer ads if it were based on my search habits.
    Nope.

I was considering becoming a supporting member since all the heat against vaping but now I'm afraid google will tell the company I work for that I'm a dope smoker looking for ways to pass a drug test. And I'm a site supporter too? Nope.

CBD is one thing, but pot seeds? Bongs? Why not Marlboro ads? Or Jack Daniels? What's next "single Russian women" ads?

Last edited:
    Reactions: Jwaterski

classwife

Admin
    Admin
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 9, 2010
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    You know, I jsut noticed. I had to disable my ad blocker to post to this thread for reasons stated above.

But I just noticed that despite that I don't see the ads on this forum (but I do see spaces where some of them are supposed to be).

Firefox 73.0.1 must have a built-in ad blocker?

Moved this to Site Feedback and Help and changed the title as I couldn't do anything with this thread either !

Last edited:

Uncle

Resting In Peace
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 15, 2011
    Thank you so much! My old laptop needs all the help it can get.

YEP - Been using "UBlock" for a couple of years now on "My" 14 year old laptop MS XP Pro w/Chrome/Firefox . . . Works very well . . . Just Sayin' . . . ;)

:eek: WTH: Took 15 x's clicking "Post Reply" to finally see it done . . . NOT NICE ! ! ! :nah:

classwife

Admin
    Admin
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 9, 2010
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    :eek: WTH: Took 15 x's clicking "Post Reply" to finally see it done . . . NOT NICE ! ! ! :nah:

It is your adblocker !
    Thread title being what it was...well you blocker was doing it's job.
    You were able to post after I changed the thread title.

I had to disable mine to have functions in this thread :facepalm:

United States

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 17, 2018
    RVA
    This "e-cig" forum is becoming, no change that………has become a place bombarded with ads for illegal products.

My favorite car site has outside ads too. For screwdrivers, car parts and tires. No "radar detectors" or other items not legal in all 50 states.
    My favorite flashlight site has ads. Ads for flashlights, batteries and chargers. No guns, or other items not legal in all 50 states.

Telling me to use an ad blocker is like telling me to just accept it and allow this to happen. Just let that neighbor down the street park in your driveway. Shucks, you should just close your blinds.

I'm not buying that logic.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I saw an enlightening post on another thread that made me want to come back here and address something I read days ago, but refrained from commenting on...

We would love to serve only ads for nicotine vaping but basically nobody at all in the nicotine vaping industry wants to advertise any more, which tells you a lot about their confidence in still being in business in the near future.

So we have to use 3rd party networks to serve that ads, and guess what, because we're a vaping site we're banned from using most of them, so we can't just serve google ads for example. So we have to make do with what we can get access to right now, but we are looking at trying to convince some vaping companies that they should be investing in the future, believe me!

C'mon, neil. Please don't blame ECF's choice to use an ad network on "fearful vape vendors" :rolleyes::eek:

If US vape vendors were too fearful to buy online ads, the Registered Supplier" section here on ECF would have only Chinese vendors. But it doesn't.
    "Registered Supplier" = advertiser (whether they pay for it, donate to it, or pay nothing).

USA vape retailers don't buy ad space from networks because 99.98% of them disallow it for legal reasons, not because the vape vendors are afraid to buy the ads.

There are many vaping-related sites that do not use ad networks. They sell ad space directly to the advertisers. And many of those paying advertisers are USA-base online vape retailers as well as China-based advertisers.

And if you're running low on advertisers, you can set it so that those empty ad spaces are filled up with banners from Affilate programs from vape vendors like those you find on Commission Junction and Shareasale and similar. There is no shortage of vape affiliates on Shareasale, vapecrawler uses shareasale links all the time.

I suspect the main reason ECF uses an ad network is for ease. Running your own ad management system takes more effort. Although there are scripts and plugins (most likely someone makes one for Xenforo) that make it easier, where advertisers buy/pay for ads using basically a DIY system (select banner size, select space, upload banner, pay).

TasteYourJuice does it,
    Vapecrawler does it,
    Vape.deals does it,
    and there are many others (including that "other forum".)

And guess what you don't see on those sites? That's right...no MJ ads. But you do see nicotine vape ads, and that's all you see.

However, it does take more effort regardless of the system implemented. So I get that.

BUT ECF needs to get a handle on this because, even though ECF is a UK-owned site, this site is dominated by USA users. Essentially, this is a US site. MJ is very much still taboo in the USA, not to mention Federally illegal.

Getting these MJ ads off the site should be priority#1. IMHO.

Of course, I guess it might force people to become "supporting members" just so they can remove the ads. But a free, plug'n'play ad blocker is more appealing to people especially if they feel they are being forced into paying for something, regardless if the money spent is being used for something good.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    a dedicated server with 32GB of RAM costs £40 a month (inc UK VAT). plenty performance for a forum of this size (especially with cloudflare doing its job). no 'MJ' adverts for me. thanks.

In today's day and age, the "Silicon Side" of a business is Incredibly Cheap.

But what about the "Carbon Units" needed to keep all the Gears Greased? Or things like Liability Insurance when it starts raining Lawyers?

A lot of costs goes into Running a Business. Many are Not seen (or sometimes even considered) by the Consumer of what the Business provides.

Last edited:
    Reactions: UncLeJunkLe

Uncle

Resting In Peace
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 15, 2011
    It is your adblocker !
    Thread title being what it was...well you blocker was doing it's job.
    You were able to post after I changed the thread title.

I had to disable mine to have functions in this thread :facepalm:

Actually , No I changed the settings with all the "Extensions" and disabled them to make sure it wasn't being caused by them after I read a couple of other post . . . BTW: Never had that problem before anywhere on ECF, just with this thread that one time (posted before with everything enabled - had no problem) . . . It's like "You" said - "You were able to post after I changed the thread title." and moved it to the "Feedback Forum" . . . I've re-enabled all of the extensions and have no problems anywhere on ECF at all now, especially given . . .
    "Your Classy-touch" . . . :wub: :thumbs:

low_tar_neil

ECF Tea-boy, Vaping.com guy
    Admin
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 20, 2008
    www.vaping.com
    I saw an enlightening post on another thread that made me want to come back here and address something I read days ago, but refrained from commenting on...

C'mon, neil. Please don't blame ECF's choice to use an ad network on "fearful vape vendors" :rolleyes::eek:

If US vape vendors were too fearful to buy online ads, the Registered Supplier" section here on ECF would have only Chinese vendors. But it doesn't.
    "Registered Supplier" = advertiser (whether they pay for it, donate to it, or pay nothing).

USA vape retailers don't buy ad space from networks because 99.98% of them disallow it for legal reasons, not because the vape vendors are afraid to buy the ads.

There are many vaping-related sites that do not use ad networks. They sell ad space directly to the advertisers. And many of those paying advertisers are USA-base online vape retailers as well as China-based advertisers.

And if you're running low on advertisers, you can set it so that those empty ad spaces are filled up with banners from Affilate programs from vape vendors like those you find on Commission Junction and Shareasale and similar. There is no shortage of vape affiliates on Shareasale, vapecrawler uses shareasale links all the time.

I suspect the main reason ECF uses an ad network is for ease. Running your own ad management system takes more effort. Although there are scripts and plugins (most likely someone makes one for Xenforo) that make it easier, where advertisers buy/pay for ads using basically a DIY system (select banner size, select space, upload banner, pay).

TasteYourJuice does it,
    Vapecrawler does it,
    Vape.deals does it,
    and there are many others (including that "other forum".)

And guess what you don't see on those sites? That's right...no MJ ads. But you do see nicotine vape ads, and that's all you see.

However, it does take more effort regardless of the system implemented. So I get that.

BUT ECF needs to get a handle on this because, even though ECF is a UK-owned site, this site is dominated by USA users. Essentially, this is a US site. MJ is very much still taboo in the USA, not to mention Federally illegal.

Getting these MJ ads off the site should be priority#1. IMHO.

Of course, I guess it might force people to become "supporting members" just so they can remove the ads. But a free, plug'n'play ad blocker is more appealing to people especially if they feel they are being forced into paying for something, regardless if the money spent is being used for something good.

I do appreciate your concern, believe me, all I can say is that we're working on it, right now in fact. This is a temporary solution and I know it's not ideal.

We've run our own ad network selling directly for the last 10 years, in the last 6 months ad orders, specifically from US vendors have all but disappeared. We still sell direct and if orders come along that are for nicotine vaping then they will take priority, but even the one nicotine vape specific ad network that used to fill half our impressions is now struggling to sell ads.

If congress passes the vote this week then I expect all vape advertising inquiries will pretty much stop, regardless of what else happens.

As I said, it's being worked on and I hope we can dial it down soon.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread