Not open for further replies.

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
any juice that is sweet or dark colored will gunk coils up fairly quickly....
you can soak them in water overnight or a few days, shaking them occasionally, then let them air dry overnight or a few days...
I prefer to use the cheapest bottle of vodka I can find instead of water and then I also soak my drip tips to disinfect them.

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
you can also remove the wick (if it's rebuildable) and dry burn the coils... but be careful not to over heat them and "pop" them.... pulse the fire button a few times, get the coil hot, dip the coil in water and repeat, you can also carefully use tweezers or there are coil brushes to help clean debris off, repeat until the coil is nice and clean and rewick when it cools down.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
You have a SS316 wire encased in a ceramic heating element. Water can clean the ceramic but will not clean the coil. The wire will eventually become gunked up to which you will have to discard the coil. And keep in mind as the wire becomes gunked, it expands in size putting stress on the ceramic which could lead to it breaking apart and inhaling those particles. Not good! Alcohol will clean the ceramic, but will not clean the wire. I have found just running the coil under warm water for a few minutes to be just as effective as leaving it soak over night.

Do not dry burn, you risk damaging the ceramic to which if it starts to break apart, could lead to the possibility of inhaling those partials.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
You have a SS316 wire encased in a ceramic heating element. Water can clean the ceramic but will not clean the coil. The wire will eventually become gunked up to which you will have to discard the coil. And keep in mind as the wire becomes gunked, it expands in size putting stress on the ceramic which could lead to it breaking apart and inhaling those particles. Not good! Alcohol will clean the ceramic, but will not clean the wire. I have found just running the coil under warm water for a few minutes to be just as effective as leaving it soak over night.

Do not dry burn, you risk damaging the ceramic to which if it starts to break apart, could lead to the possibility of inhaling those partials.
IMHO @Punk In Drublic is the cat to listen to in this case. I’ve heard him/her talk about ceramic coils before.

• Agree
Reactions: greek mule

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Below picture is after a night’s soak in vodka along with a few martini’s (took advantage of the situation). I do not believe alcohol harms the coil in any way, it’s just not as effective and works better in a cocktail.

Difficult to tell given the light, and how thin the wire is but trust me, it is gunked up. We can also see the scorch marks within the ceramic from the burning of sugars. The ceramic is very brittle and crumbles into dust easily.

@bombastinator – last I check I was a he. Just checked again and still a he! :D

CCell.jpg

Reactions: Jazzman

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
Just personal opinion, but I wouldn't risk ceramic in close proximity to my lungs at all. And if there is any burning on the wicking material that coil is done for anyway, like the picture Punk In Drublic showed. If you can detect even the slightest burned taste, there is no coming back from that and the coil will never taste the same and as was stated above can degrade the ceramic from 2 perspectives. The material will weaken and start shedding material... which winds up in your lungs. It also will degrade the capillary action and will not be able to control the juice flow the way it is intended to. So even if you clean it as best you can, it will not be the same vape and is potentially harmful.

If you clean it on a regular basis before there are any signs the coil is not performing properly, just as a routine maintenance you might be OK doing that. But generally I wouldn't clean a coil that was still working properly. You may be more regimented than my slovenly ways (or OCD...lol), but if you hold off until the coil is no longer working well I would say it's a lost cause. But just personal opinion from my experience.

• Agree
Reactions: tailland

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
Just personal opinion, but I wouldn't risk ceramic in close proximity to my lungs at all.
Same for me. Noone needs to offer me any ceramic coils. Not happening. Maybe that's excessive, but nah, I don't trust the material itself, and I don't know the people who're producing it.. so it's a resounding "no" from me.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Thanks to Punk for the deconstructed coil picture. I've switched to a new NET and it appears to be giving me more life out of a coil. I intend to give one try at boiling but, my ultimate solution is to find an RTA I like. Thanks to all for the advise.

An RTA presents its own set of challenges such as proper wicking or finding a coil that suits your style of vaping. But you have control over the outcome such as choosing the type of wick (Rayon, Cotton Bacon, Muji etc), and style and type of coil (Clapton style, regular, dual, single, different metals etc.). And it is cheaper in the long run. @Shawn Hoefer has an excellent ongoing top airflow RTA thread here.

Top air RTAs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread