Advice on hand cramps while building?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshiWanVanobi

Apr 23, 2018
Ithaca, NY
I seem to have trouble about half way through my fused clapton wire which is usually about 1 1/2 ft of wire. Ill wrap perfectly and then my hand gets very uncomfortable and cramps and i end up letting up on the tension and its not as perfect as the first half. I dont hold the spool because i feel its not natural to how i like to wrap claptons. Is there any advice on what i could do to ease this or change the way i wrap? Maybe im using too much tension? I feel like i shouldnt have this issue because i have young hands. Thank you any advice helps!

Reactions: stols001

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Maybe you could try a few different methods just to find what works and does not cause physical pain. With the way I wrap my wire, using a modified sewing machine, spool tamers, and wire guides, i like to put a pencil through my spool to hold on to (two fingers grasping on the pencil on each side of the spool) and adjust the tightness of the spool tamer to get the right tension on my wrap wire. This makes wrapping my fused claptons kind of boring and very easy. If I need more tension on the fly I just squeeze the spool between my middle finger and ring finger a slight amount to add resistance to it. I rarely have any issues and i make 3 foot shots of wire at a time.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Maybe do some hand stretching beforehand, IDK? There are probably easier ways to wrap your coils (that I don't know since I use simple round wire builds) but if I have found an activity to routinely cause me difficulty some stretching before and afterwards as you are building up your hand strength may help. Good luck with things.

Anna

JoshiWanVanobi

Apr 23, 2018
Ithaca, NY
Tysm for the advice with the pencil through the spool! I did that so it would rotate in a controlled state and held the 40g at about half way from the core and the spool and didnt have to nearly put as much tension on it and it came out much better than my usual! Near perfect honestly, and my hand didnt cramp no where near as bad either! Thanks a lot!

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Tysm for the advice with the pencil through the spool! I did that so it would rotate in a controlled state and held the 40g at about half way from the core and the spool and didnt have to nearly put as much tension on it and it came out much better than my usual! Near perfect honestly, and my hand didnt cramp no where near as bad either! Thanks a lot!

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk
I'm glad that I could help!

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread