Aerotank Mega

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
    View attachment 336344 Hello fellow vapers !
    My questions/comments here are about my recently purchased Aerotank Mega (3.8ml) by Kangertech.

My biggest problem is that i'm burning coils.

I have lowered the voltage but it doesn't help.

My other curiousity is a small leak from the airflow control valve.

Does anyone have any suggestions on these comments ?

I found this chart online, and accorindg to it I can go up to 4.2v . However the 2.00 oHm dual coil heating units are rated at 3.5v-3.8v .

Also, can I use a single coil in this ? Might be just as nice with less liquid usage.

ANY and ALL comments are appreciated. Thanks.

:vapor:- DJ Colonel Corn

Last edited:

Hijack

Verified Member
    May 7, 2014
    Bournemouth, U.K
    Burning coils: try the advice of Miata above.
    I'm using mine in wattage mode im lazy and don't want to look at charts also im using a 1.5 ohm atty so I cant compare mine to yours in voltage mode.
    The leak can only come from where the coil screws into the base so check that there is an o ring on the atty. Also check the o ring on the base, but the latter would cause it to leak out above the air control. Only had mine a day, but when I screwed the coil in I did notice the thread were a bit rough feeling (scratchy feeling) and that it only needed what seem like less than 1 full turn to tighten. this would make it easy to cross thread if you weren't carful so check the threads as well.
    I have also thought today that the flavour seems slightly burnt, but I think its settling down now as ive just refilled it again. so im turning the wattage up a bit more.

Last edited:

Hijack

Verified Member
    May 7, 2014
    Bournemouth, U.K
    I got this small leak from time to time. It's weird because when I try to blow the liquid out, there's none left. This happens normally when I took it our from my side pocket.

You always get a tiny bit of liquid that finds its way down the centre tube. This is apparent when you refill and there is a tiny dot of liquid on the battery contact. This is perfectly normal on all of these tanks. just use a q-tip or tissue to clean it off. it shouldn't be leaking out of the vent holes though. this would suggest there is quite a leak going on.

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member

Prime the unit ? I've never read anything about priming it before first use.

All i did, of course, is screw in the coil and fill with liquid, and start using.

Are there other steps to 'priming' the unit that I don't know about ?

Also, to the comment about a drop of liquid on the battery, no, the Aerotank Mega 3.8ml has an Airflow Control Valve and the screw into the battery is actually a closed peg. So no liquid on battery. The small leak is coming from the Airflow vent hole section.

Thanks for all the great input, but, so far, I still don't see how I'm burning the coils so fast. Could it be I got a bunk 5-pack ?

Also I believe I know now why I can't put the banner, it's because , I think, I need to paste the code into my 'signature' , and, being a new user, I can't do that yet.

Peace and Happy Vaping
    Using Aerotank Mega on 4.2v with v3 eGo battery and 2.00 dual coil heating elements, on smallest airflow setting.
    :vapor: - DJ Colonel Corn

distortoblotto

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 12, 2013
    S.F/ Seattle
    DCC, Here's what my method right out of the box....

First break down the unit and give it a quick wash (setting the coil aside of course) with diluted Lemon Joy then hand dry the parts and finish off the dry with a can of Dust Off.

Then re-assemble the unit.

Time for the coil. Using a needle dripper ( juice bottle will do but, can get a little messy) push a wee drop of juice into the draw holes on each side of the coil and then wipe any excess and install it in the base. Then set it aside, fill the tank and install the coil and base.

Once every thing is together, place it on your unit, stand it up for a few minutes and let it sit.

Then with the unit power off, throttle back the air flow and take 2-3 pulls ( not too much to flood the coil).
    After that, adjust the air flow to your liking taking a couple of very light pulls.

Once this is done, turn on the unit and set it to 3.3 volts and give it 3-4 quick bumps. After that, bump up the power to 3.7 and let it rip!

My first coil lasted almost 2 full weeks using Nicoticket "The Virus At 3.7- 4.2 volts (mostly 4.2) before the vapor production dropped of. I never lost the flavor during that time.

Tossing a coil into almost any tank and just letting rip will almost always end up with that crappy burnt taste!

Hope this helps....Best of luck to you..........Vape On!

Last edited:

Ramgod

May 14, 2014
    San Jose, CA
    You always get a tiny bit of liquid that finds its way down the centre tube. This is apparent when you refill and there is a tiny dot of liquid on the battery contact. This is perfectly normal on all of these tanks. just use a q-tip or tissue to clean it off. it shouldn't be leaking out of the vent holes though. this would suggest there is quite a leak going on.

Q-tips work wonders. That's how I dry the spill in the air chamber. I thought there was a good amount of leak as well but nothing... It's weird.

Hijack

Verified Member
    May 7, 2014
    Bournemouth, U.K
    The leak can only come from where the coil screws into the base so check that there is an o ring on the atty. Also check the o ring on the base, but the latter would cause it to leak out above the air control. Only had mine a day, but when I screwed the coil in I did notice the thread were a bit rough feeling (scratchy feeling) and that it only needed what seem like less than 1 full turn to tighten. this would make it easy to cross thread if you weren't carful so check the threads as well.

This is the part that was relating to the OP's problem. Not sure if he saw it.

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Thanks, Distortoblotto, for the tips.

Went through some interesting vape adventures this weekend while camping.

Came up with some tips for new users, and all users, of the Aerotank Mega 3.8ml with Airflow Control.

First off, DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN.
    I had a big problem while camping, couldn't get the coil base off the battery. Eventually found campers with pliers. I also found that the extra thread cover ring that makes the unit 'more beautiful', to quote the Chinese, can hinder the ability to get your fingers tight on that one small area you have to grab onto. Without that thread cover, the bottom is easily reached and grabbed.
    PRODUCT FLAW: Kangertech did not put finger grip ridges on the top or bottom fittings, causing fingers to slip n slide trying to refill their tanks.
    ALSO: I believe my coil burning came from me OVER-TIGHTENING the coil into the base. The other possibility is that I got a bad 5-pack of coils. It was just that pack and ever since been fine, but, again, I know BARELY HAND-TIGHTEN the coils into the base.

SO

Now my Mega Aerotank is working wonderfully, I use the smallest hole with between 4.0-4.5v on an eGo v3 Multi Voltage Battery.

However !

Still a slight leak when the unit is stored on its side. Very small, just some moisture on the airflow adjuster, coming from the hole.
    I think not over-tightening the coil is helping to minimize the leak but it is still present.

Thank to everyone who helped me with their suggestions and advice !!

distortoblotto

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 12, 2013
    S.F/ Seattle
    DCC, A good rule of thumb for me is to always spin the unit to the topper until just snug.

A Q-Tip clean of the threads with isopropyl followed by a light Q-tip wipe of mineral oil keeps threads happy. (Note: Threads only)

A little drip in the air chamber can be cured by a gentle but forceful blow out into a paper towel.

Try to condition your self to a little lighter draw as this will minimize juice being pulled past the coil.

Enjoy that Mega!! :vapor:

(P.S Give the tank a good breakdown and clean every other fill, Your tank will reward you for it)

Last edited:

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    YES !

I dis-assembled my Aerotank Mega 3.8ml today to try to cure this slight leak i've had from the airflow control valve.

Well I saw no damage or debris, but what I did was flip it over so the washer that was previously on the bottom is now on top.

Seems to be leak-free for now. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for all the great advice, people !!!

~~~~

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Hello Fellow Vakers !

Well, in an effort to save e-liquid and avoid burnout coils, I decided to try a single coil in my Aerotank Mega 3.8ml.

WORKS GREAT !

Uses %50 less e-liquid, same cloud, requires lower voltage for same effect.

I'm also excited not to pay those dual coil prices. Not that I'll need many more now.

SUCCESS!!

Last edited:

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Hey gang.
    I've had a lot of reports of a leaky Aeortank Mega.

Again, I'm just posting this with this title so people can find it, the repair is to use SINGLE COIL coils in your Aeortank Mega.
    You'll also use %50 less liquid and %50 less power.
    In my opinion they work even better.
    The singles I got have real short cylinders..... haven't seen em before but they work great, 1.8 ohms.

ALSO
    I found out WHY the Aerotank Mega was giving me bad oHm readings... my eGo v3 was defective... exchanged it and no more problems.....

Also , as far as leaks go, make sure you're not using it with the air control set too tight.

Happy happy !

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread