After using modern VW mods, are you happy with the limitations of a Mech mod ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Lessifer ... If I used a mech mod as my daily vape gear, yes, then it would be a mech mod with an 18650 battery.

However, I ordered the little Mini Nemesis mech mod just because it is small (17mm diameter) and light weight, for use when I go to the store or on a short trip somewhere ... fits nicely in my shirt front pocket. And being a small mech, it takes the skinny 14650 battery (only 950 mAh)

Anyway, this little Mini Nemesis showed up in the mail box yesterday ... Here it is with a 17mm wide Yiloong "Mini Fogger" RTA on top .... Really nice vape from this little setup! :)

4KwS044.jpg

79FMIP9.jpg
It's definitely a sweet little mod, I remember looking at those before. I used to love my Pisces mod because it was so tiny, though still 18650. I was just thinking that some of your limitations are self imposed because of the type of mech you choose.

Reactions: MacTechVpr

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
Lessifer ... Well, I am a mouth to lung 'tootle puffer'. Even when I use my 'daily driver' Kayfun Lite-Plus attached to my eVic VTwo Mini, I only vape it at 11.5 watts

8 wraps of 27 AWG Kanthal wire wound around a 2.8mm rod = 1.3 ohms

That 11.5 watts gets me the vape I like ... the heat flux = 113 mW / mm²

That works well for me with this Kayfun and a pretty tight airflow

That is about the same vape as I get from this little mech mod and the Mini Fogger using a 1.2 ohm coil and a pretty tight airflow (airflow set the same as I use on the Kayfun)

Only drawback is the batteries 950 mAh and the 2.0ml juice capacity .... but again, I only use this when going to the store or something like that.

This little setup vapes just as nice as that Kayfun attached to the eVic VTwo Mini VW mod.

Last edited:

EddieAdams

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
New York
Prefer mech bottom feeder. Fresh battery(3000/20amp) and a full 8ml bottle gets me through the work day. Dual coils around .3-.4. Much smaller and more pocket friendly than any comparable regulated. No need to carry anything extra. More reliable. Just have to know what you're doing.

FDA BOC

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
I'm hardly a Mech Snob,,
I use regulateds every day at work/as 'beaters'. So they do serve a purpose!

Regulated, biggest con, No resale value.
No sooner do you buy a Reg & the Turbo version comes out,,

3 years ago, a Provape was more expensive than a Poldiac. Today?.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I don't view Mech Mods as being Limited. I just view them as being in a Different Class of Hardware verses a Regulated Mod.

There is a Inherent Simplicity to Mech Mods. Kinda like when Cars run on Points and a Distributor verses Fuel Injection and a "Brain". And there is a Reward of finding the Exact Build that works as you want it on a Mech. Verses just pushing the Up/Down Buttons.

I use Both Regulated and Mech (Squonker) Mods. And I Like Both. Just in slightly Different ways.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North

I don't view Mech Mods as being Limited. I just view them as being in a Different Class of Hardware verses a Regulated Mod.

There is a Inherent Simplicity to Mech Mods. Kinda like when Cars run on Points and a Distributor verses Fuel Injection and a "Brain". And there is a Reward of finding the Exact Build that works as you want it on a Mech. Verses just pushing the Up/Down Buttons.

I use Both Regulated and Mech (Squonker) Mods. And I Like Both. Just in slightly Different ways.

All true, but I'm still glad points are gone. Tune-ups are a LOT easier than when I was a kid. :)

Reactions: MacTechVpr

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
All true, but I'm still glad points are gone. Tune-ups are a LOT easier than when I was a kid. :)

Hard to Argue with that.

But something I Really Like about a Mech is the Ability to do a Tune-Up. Or a Full Blown Fix using Parts found at a Local Hardware store. There isn't much on a Regulated Mod that the Average person can Fix.

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
I prefer the vape from unregulated output. Its alot smoother IMO, and it seems to give me more run time between charge/battery.

I still have an akwardness towards mechs, but i use and enjoy my 2 4nines. I build my coils to "vape to my preferece" at 3.9v so the voltage range isnt as noticable. When i notice a big difference in vape, i pull the batteries and they read usualy 3.3-3.5v. My 18350s last me a full day usualy.

Cosmic_Glaze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2016
In my limited experience when my batteries get below 50-60% the quality of the vape diminishes enough for me to start button mashing. I don't have a voltmeter to be able to find out how low I've gone so my bad on that.

This is what I've been striving for on my mechs.
I've used regulated mods in Bypass mode to judge my battery usage.(finally found a use for that mode since I started using mechs..irony..) You can pop the battery in even on a Eleaf Pico and it will tell you your volts and the wattage output left on your battery.... fyi

Cosmic_Glaze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2016
Yep, my thoughts exactly and they provide a smoother Vape that regulated Mod's cannot achieve. There is a difference between manipulated power vs pure DC.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
I found that same experience.. I've been Vaping on my KF5 since last summer on many diff reg. mods, it's my daily goto... recently bought a mech mod so the obvious choice was to use that as the tester.... (it's crazy tall on it but this was a science experiment) Long story short I'm Vaping the KF5 on my mech, back on the internet shopping for deals for another... it is just a completely different experience.. quick ramp up, and smooth delivery.... I will always keep one good Reg. Mod, but as the others that I own fail they will be replaced by mechs.

The OP stated that your a Mtl vaper.... at 1- 1.2 ohms that I'm Vaping at it gives a great vape.. depends how much you vape but at those ohms, 1 battery for the workday, one for night, maybe two at night if your gonna make it a late one on the weekends. :thumbs:

Tomasius74

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2016
Hi. I've never used a mech and it is not something that I want to do in the near future as I'm still learning. But after Provape closed and following all the bad news related to the future of vaping, I'm considering buying a couple of mechs as a back up (and hopefully learn enough to start using them with some regularity).

Can you recommend some mechs to consider them? I know that safe mechs don't exist but I believe that a well designed, quality built mech will be safer (of course when used appropriately).

So I'm interested in good / high quality, single battery (I vape at 10 - 14 watts MTL) with NO hybrid connection mech. If possible with some kind of lock to prevent auto firing.

Any suggestions?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Cosmic_Glaze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2016
Hi. I've never used a mech and it is not something that I want to do in the near future as I'm still learning. But after Provape closed and following all the bad news related to the future of vaping, I'm considering buying a couple of mechs as a back up (and hopefully learn enough to start using them with some regularity).

Can you recommend some mechs to consider them? I know that safe mechs don't exist but I believe that a well designed, quality built mech will be safer (of course when used appropriately).

So I'm interested in good / high quality, single battery (I vape at 10 - 14 watts MTL) with NO hybrid connection mech. If possible with some kind of lock to prevent auto firing.

Any suggestions?

What is your budget?
That will help others help you... so you don't get $200 options sent your way if you want to spend less...which is understandable and reasonable. I like Non-Hybrid mechs (options), as well. I am a MTL vaper myself as you are.

Cosmic_Glaze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2016
Thanks, I guess that somewhere between 100 to 200 Uscy. I have to see if they are available in México but in worst case I can have them sent to someone in US and receive them later.

If you have 100$+ usd check out the "Broadside mech mod" reviews.. (YouTube) it has many safety features that others do not.. it is also a non-hybrid. It's Next on my list..

Reactions: Tomasius74

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Try VaporArt, Bulgaria.
Have a Gp paps V4, was under 100usd, i have over a 100 mechs,,in my top 5.

If you prefer PacRim mechs,, try Vaper Kings, good clearance sale last week, hopefully still happening.
At a 100 dollar budget you can buy a fine Authentic..

Both of those are great sources.

Reactions: Tomasius74
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread