After using modern VW mods, are you happy with the limitations of a Mech mod ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkfist

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2009
My lost vape efusion duo just bit the dust and I'm back to my authentic praxis V2. Yeah it's hard going back to mechs for me. I went from cig style 510s, chucks, egos, to unregulated mechs and then to dna devices. I always chased the next big thing. I change the battery on my mech after running a 22mm petri rda dry, which is 2ml, and the battery still has a charge left in it. At 75w on the dna I could vape about 10ml before needing to charge. I vape about 15ml a day so changing the batteries in the mech gets really old after a while. As far as vaping experience the dna is close enough to my mech that I really don't care one way or another. I don't use temperature control at all. I like the longer life and consistent vape over the mech.

Reactions: Tomasius74

Tomasius74

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2016
I finally bought a Broadside Admiral, good looking mech that runs with either 20700 or 18650 cells. Have been playing with it using a serpent rdta.

I must admit I am liking the experience but my guess is that won't replace my Provape mods.

Let's see how this mech thing evolves as I get more practice or use different atomizers.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Reactions: nalo_b

nalo_b

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2010
oahu
I actually went back to mechs after using regulated mods...I literally just gave away my alien mod to someone who could use it(hoping he doesn't go back to cigs). Seems like every mod out there even if it is a high quality regulated device will break sooner or later(most of them sooner for me...). Currently using an authentic stingray, 2 subzero mechs with both legendary and shorty switches, an authentic subzeroX, 2 subzeroX clones and 1 xxx clone. These should last longer than me. Love mechs!

nalo_b

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2010
oahu
Exactly bad ninja that's the way I feel about mechs. I don't mind carrying extra batteries also, in fact I use the same amount that I carried with my regulated devices 4 batteries. Plus you literally could buy just one mech and vape it your whole life. Lol, but we all know nobody in their right mind can have just one mech! It's an addiction

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Exactly bad ninja that's the way I feel about mechs. I don't mind carrying extra batteries also, in fact I use the same amount that I carried with my regulated devices 4 batteries. Plus you literally could buy just one mech and vape it your whole life. Lol, but we all know nobody in their right mind can have just one mech! It's an addiction

Shinyitis.
Well, my broker said "Copper was a good investment".

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Lol.

The key to a mech is learning how to build properly.

Once you understand the relationship between the build and power, you see there is no limitation with a mech.

The limitation is your build.

Loose the exotic wire.
It's inefficient and eats power.

Agreed except for the exotic wire, 99.99% all I vape on is SS Fused Claptons and every time I go back to a basic wire build or even twisted it's lacking. Battery life certainly isn't an issue unless I'm Vaping on a single battery Mech, I'm mostly on Parallel and Series.

Instead of carrying batteries, just get a parallel mech. I usually last a work day without issue.

Yep, my favorite is triple or quad parallel. Not only battery life for days but performance is much better due to the batteries aren't even breaking a sweat.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Agreed except for the exotic wire, 99.99% all I vape on is SS Fused Claptons and every time I go back to a basic wire build or even twisted it's lacking. Battery life certainly isn't an issue unless I'm Vaping on a single battery Mech, I'm mostly on Parallel and Series.

Lacking in what exactly?
I've explored exotic builds and wire as well.
Ive found no advantage over basic single strand coils whatsoever.
None. They eat more power to operate and look spiffy.
Thats about it.

If there were even a slight advantage I'd be all over it.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Lacking in what exactly?
I've explored exotic builds and wire as well.
Ive found no advantage over basic single strand coils whatsoever.
None. They eat more power to operate and look spiffy.
Thats about it.

If there were even a slight advantage I'd be all over it.
Flavor

A good SS fused Clapton is wonderful, far more richer and detailed flavor. Hell I even spin up 34x2/44 fused claptons for my tootie puffers. As far as eating up more battery life and no benefit, as you mentioned before you need to know how to build correctly.

Reactions: nalo_b

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Flavor

A good SS fused Clapton is wonderful, far more richer and detailed flavor. Hell I even spin up 34x2/44 fused claptons for my tootie puffers. As far as eating up more battery life and no benefit, as you mentioned before you need to know how to build correctly.

I must have an Unrefined Palate.

Because on a Mech, I Don't see a substantial increase in Flavor when using Multi-Wire/Exotic Coils over a Plain Old Single Wire coils.

And Nothing to warrant the Drop in Single Battery Life. Or the Slower Ramp-Up (something I can Kinda live with) or the Slower Ramp-Down (something I Detest Immensely) times.

But Taste is Subjective. And everyone is Seeking something different. So YMMV.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Flavor

I can assure you I know how to build correctly.
;)
Like @zoiDman said, taste is subjective and ymmv.

Eating batteries due to heating a mass of wire is part of the territory when using exotic coils, unless you can cheat the laws of thermodynamics.
:)

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
I can assure you I know how to build correctly.
;)
Like @zoiDman said, taste is subjective and ymmv.

Eating batteries due to heating a mass of wire is part of the territory when using exotic coils, unless you can cheat the laws of thermodynamics.
:)
What comes into a factor is the core wire, the wrapping wire is moot other than making sure it's thin so it heats up faster. I mostly use between 28g - 32g core wire with 38g - 44g wrapping wire.

Now if you're using "clouds brow" fatty core wires you're going to suck at responsiveness, eat battery life and retain a lot of heat. But using small gauge SS makes a huge difference "and" flavor is excellent. Thing with Fused Claptons is the coils themselves are like a wick, all the nooks and cranny's suck up the juice and flavorings you couldn't tell from bare basic wire will come out.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
What comes into a factor is the core wire, the wrapping wire is moot other than making sure it's thin so it heats up faster. I mostly use between 28g - 32g core wire with 38g - 44g wrapping wire.

Now if you're using "clouds brow" fatty core wires you're going to suck at responsiveness, eat battery life and retain a lot of heat. But using small gauge SS makes a huge difference "and" flavor is excellent. Thing with Fused Claptons is the coils themselves are like a wick, all the nooks and cranny's suck up the juice and flavorings you couldn't tell from bare basic wire will come out.

The wrap acts as a heat sink and cools the core wires while the current tries to heat them.
Thats why they take so much power to heat up quickly.
Inefficient.

I will concede that paralell coils do seem offer advantages over both exotic and single strand coils for the obvious reasons.

doctadrea

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2013
Maui
I tried the claptons etc, but yea, just went back to regular ol wire. Although I actually like the longer ramp up time, the battery drain (you have to build lower to get the same vape, since it's heating more wire) just wasn't worth it for me.
My favorite right now is single coil at .4ohms, one hg2 battery lasts me all day. It would probably last longer, but I change it in the morning.

Reactions: DoubleDZA

doctadrea

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2013
Maui
oh right, on topic:
I've been exclusively using mechs since I upgraded from egos about 4 years ago, but I recently bought a few teeny little regulated mods because... they're teeny.
The board on my qbox went a little crazy and decided to fire a .4ohm coil as if it were a 2.8ohm, and give that enough to get it up to 35w. I only pressed the button for a second before my coughing fit, and the battery got so hot that the screw on the bottom burned my finger. I'm lucky that's all that happened.
A mech is much safer as long as you know what you're doing. The only issues would be user error. You don't have to reply on some mass produced chip to make sure your teeth don't get blown out of your face.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
I tried the claptons etc, but yea, just went back to regular ol wire. Although I actually like the longer ramp up time, the battery drain (you have to build lower to get the same vape, since it's heating more wire) just wasn't worth it for me.
My favorite right now is single coil at .4ohms, one hg2 battery lasts me all day. It would probably last longer, but I change it in the morning.
It's all on how you build, using higher gauge SS fused claptons there's not that much difference in wire mass. Example 24g kanthal for a .8 single coil is around 9 wraps, 30g fused Clapton which also has around the same wire mass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread