• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Aiding Newbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
I'm all for giving a helping hand, but!!!, when do I take a step back?

The reason I ask this is because I've done this for more than a few and, since I live in a small town, I guess the word has gotten around.
Now!!! I got people that I barely know calling me---got my second last night. And!!! this person, since I setup a few close friends and family with their own PV, was expecting the same treatment.

In the end, I said I'd be glad to have them over so they could see and try out a model and a mod and give them advice on what to buy. Once that is done, I plan on sending them here for more research and they'll be on their own.

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
I always recommend the eGo because of the battery life.

It's just that I think a lot of people that are considering the switch don't want to put the money out and take the chance.
Most of us here did, most of us here had too!!! because we didn't have anyone to give us a hand.
Anyway, I've been thinking about it and I think what some here has said, rings true: Maybe in our effort to make it an easier path to follow, we are actually doing more damage than good.
Am I defeating my purpose by giving them stuff to start out with?---I call it loaning but rarely does the stuff come back.
I guess I'm just a bit down because I saw a person I "loaned" stuff to and he was smoking a cig. He saw me and just looked down so he wouldn't have to acknowledge me.
Did I do this to myself because I took part of the incentive away (not only the money aspect but the learning on-your-own process).

Kargonet

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2010
Abilene, Texas
I'm all for giving a helping hand, but!!!, when do I take a step back?

The reason I ask this is because I've done this for more than a few and, since I live in a small town, I guess the word has gotten around.
Now!!! I got people that I barely know calling me---got my second last night. And!!! this person, since I setup a few close friends and family with their own PV, was expecting the same treatment.

In the end, I said I'd be glad to have them over so they could see and try out a model and a mod and give them advice on what to buy. Once that is done, I plan on sending them here for more research and they'll be on their own.

That's certainly awesome of you to have done that for your close friends and family but for people to just expect for you to set them up with freebies is wrong.

We have set up a couple of family members that ultimately bought their own kits and we sure wish there'd been someone around that could have given us a decent sample before we jumped off and bought two kits that have since fallen by the wayside.

We always suggest the eGo kits from Cignot as a great starter and so far we've had great success.

Keep up the great work, it wil come back to you in time.

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
Hubby and I survive on SSI so I can't afford it, but I hate to tell anyone "no" when it comes to someone asking for help to make a choice that gets them off tobacco.

Let's put it this way, I've been down and know what it's like to have a helping hand up---he's been unemployed for months now .

I just talked to this guy and his wife (she wants to give it a go too). I emailed the link to a site to order the DIY mod stuff and told them if they buy the parts, RW would walk the guy through the building of them.
I got some liquid from PIF coming and don't mind sharing a little bit of that.
This way it's a cheap way for them to go.

Nighthawk

ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
Southeast Texas
Sounds like you've got it under control! I set up my SO's mother because she's got nothing, and I had the 'extras' in my back-up stash. A friend got me started for free because I'm living on next to nothing & I was not able to have that much outlay upfront for something I had never seen or heard of before she talked to me. I think paying it forward is an important life goal, but you also have to not pay yourself forward into lack. that would just breed resentment, anger and negativity. just give what you can, do what you can & be kind in the process. I think your solution was an elegant one!

kushka

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2010
Marietta, GA
I have given away kits too - to people who kept smoking.

I have also read psychological studies showing people place a lot less value on things that were given and they did nothing to earn them.

PVs are hard at first - much harder (and less reward in terms or nic rush) then cigarettes.

If I head you were the girl in town given away free pvs - and if I was just a little curious to try them but not greatly motivated - I believe I would show up at your house to get one too - why not? It's free! But someone has to be really interested and really want to stop smoking to invest the price of a couple of cartons - and after doing so - you are motivated to make it work since you have so much cash invested.

Nighthawk

ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
Southeast Texas
Swedish fish has a whole bunch of different fruit flavors that make it up. It is honestly the best thing I have ever vaped. Really mind-blowing. VaporRenu sells it. it runs $7/30ml. Get the double flavor shot. coupon code: renu gives you 10% off. inexpensive and high quality. customer service is awesome as well. website is a bit primitive, but don't let that throw you. I can't say enough good things about this juice. loxsmythe from here created the recipe and then vaporrenu put it on their menu.
I sent in a flavor recipe and they also put it on the menu. There are a couple more vaper requested flavors, but I can't think of them right now. anyway, give it a shot. If you don't like the Swedish Fish, send it to me! lol

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
I've been struggling with this a lot. A lot. I have taken my email out of my profile, and I am shutting down my personal blog. The stress kills me, some days. It's like people think I'm an all-encompassing one-person newbie section now.

That's cool, I guess. It's getting people interested in vaping. But there are days I just want to hide. There are days I don't even dare to open my email.

And then other days, I feel like I've found my calling. So I take time and write novels to each and every person, coach them through all of it... and I keep doing it until I just can't take it anymore.

Or until they start asking me to send them free stuff. Yeah, seriously. I've had that happen more than once.

I have given away kits too - to people who kept smoking.

I have also read psychological studies showing people place a lot less value on things that were given and they did nothing to earn them.

I am shocked by that. But sadly, not surprised. People can be so careless and thankless. It's saddening.

I'm the reverse. If someone gives me something, I develop this weird, intense attachment to it. Even if it's just an atty or juice, or an article of clothing, or a freakin' tuna casserole. The things people give me mean more. Because I'm touched by kindness.

I have such a hard time parting with things that were given to me. I use them until they just can't be used anymore.

If someone *gave* me a full e-cig kit, you can bet your .... I would keep trying until the thing worked, or all the parts died.

But I've always been a freak I guess.

HzG8rGrl

Trippy Tip Hoarder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2009
*The Swamp*
www.youtube.com
jj2-you can't supply the world. People tend to take advantage of those who enjoy helping. Some just don't even realize they are doing just that.
It is up to you to say here is the info and here is where you can gleam even more information. I am stunned people will give out your information so freely without calling you first to make sure it is o.k.
I think you have made the right decision. Be careful who you invite over and always have someone else there when they arrive. Take care.

Cinjay

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2010
Lawrence Mass.
Not a freak,just someone with a good heart. That's the way it should be. When someone gives you something it should be special. Something you hold dear. But now a days people don't get that. People don't struggle as much as they use to so now people "expect'" things and don't put the love and care into them any more.
I am the same way. And I use to be the one to "give" unconditionally. But I got burnt so many times it hurt. Now I am a little more careful. Still give a lot, but to the ones i "know" really are going to appreciate it.

191ahc

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2010
Berkeley, CA
I have given kits only to those I love. Few enough of those. Others, I am happy to point them here to ECF and a couple of urls and give them a 3-5 minute run down of the basics...from then on its up to them. I don't care. I'm working on a handout that will reduce the 3-5 minutes to a "Here--Read This". LOL

You are very correct, many folks don't appreciate things given freely...as if such gestures are meaningless. The world is a thankless place...why I have very few friends I guess... and why I don't mind that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread