Status
Not open for further replies.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
Assuming your talking about the positive post where the coil connects, it screws into the brass piece on the bottom of the base, just tighten it if possible. If it is stripped try adding a small piece of ribbon wire into the threaded hole to get by. My post was loose a little from the "factory"

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I rebuilt my AIOS again today. I think I hit a sweet spot with this one.

A slight adjustment on my first build. Still used 400 mesh, but this time cut a 7/8" wide strip instead of 1", which when rolled to fit the AIOS tank, leaves the wick as a slight straw. Torched the wick and did a few juice burns.

This time, I wrapped the coil with the wick of the base, using 4 wraps of 28ga wire, instead of 30, then installed it to the base. I think it is important to make sure the wick (being a straw) is firmly planted in the insulator to avoid flooding. To that end, the juice burns and torching seem to give a wick some more rigidity.

My juice of choice for the AIOS is still a 60/40 PG/VG blend, but I have vaped a 50/50, and 100% VG in a similar build with no wicking problem.

So far my best success yet. No flooding, no burnt hits. Great flavor and vapor.

I ordered some SS cable for this thing, and hope to try a cable build using an ekowool sleeve next week.

daz2013

ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2013
UK
mine arrived friday with the chi clone wrapped a quick microcoil and used it as a dripper for the day while contemplating building the tank mode. today i decided to give it a go wrapped a microcoil around 1.6mm bar came out at 1.5ohm already had a spare wick from my agat2 400 mesh had to trim down to get it in the coil also folded the outside edge to stop getting shorts. popped it in the coil and pulsed but to be honest it didn't need it.
cut the top of the wick so it can just enter the tank as it's screwed on.
first go great but flooding a bit so took the tank of and wrapped a little cottonwool around the mesh just below where it enters the tank.
now it is wicking great and no flooding no dry hits and lots of vapor and flavor.
yes it is quite a cool vape but i like it like that if i want something warmer i have other atty's to use.
the threading on the base happens to be the same as the extension tube for the vamo if that is any help in finding mods that it fits i know this because i used it as a stand while building it.

DarthV8pr

Dec 6, 2013
wedsupsenis
utana5ys.jpg

This is what I'm using now, 1/16 steel wire inside 2 mm ekowool, wrapped K - ribbon and cotton bottom base to soak the extra.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
My AIOS, revisited......

Finally got some 1/16" SS cable to try in this thing. Torched it, and sleeved with hollow ekowool. Enough so, that the top of the ekowool hits the bottom of the tank around the wick hole. I only had 3mm hollow ekowool, but will probably pick up some 2mm tomorrow to get it tighter on the cable. Did a 2/3 wrap of 28ga kanthal which came out to 0.8Ω.

I did buy some 2mm cable to try, thinking that was probably the actual size of the wick hole, but I can tell you first hand, it is to big and doesn't fit.

This current build is wicking great with no flooding. It can sit overnight standing up and not leak a drop. On the flip side, I can pretty much chain vape it with no problem using a 60/40 blend.

daz2013

ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2013
UK
finally have it setup as it should be just mesh and coil.
microcoil .3 canthal 1.6mm bore i do think that 2mm bore would be better but will try later about 7wraps i think and it came out at 1 ohm.
400 mesh almost to the top of the tank then 2 2mm strips of silica across the bottom deck either side of the wick.
this setup is working great.

I'm using the HCigar AIOS Clone. After a number of failed (either flooded or dry) builds (ss mesh, cotton, and assorted silica), I finally got a REALLY good build. I have a 1mm Ekowool wick, which is sleeved in 2mm Ekowool for the coil section. Coil is 32g Kanthal, loosely wrapped around the wick (4/5 wraps). Great, clean flavor. Consistent, fairly heavy vapor production. Absolutely ZERO dry hits or flooding... IF assembled with precision and patience.

I find it easiest to wrap the coil around a mini screw driver, install and pulse out the coil first.

I then prepare the Ekowool (sleeve 1 side of the 1mm in 2mm and trim them evenly at the end).

The double-layered Ekowool is then carefully twisted through the coil.

Finally, I install the air-control ring of the AIOS, run the 1mm end of the Ekowool into the tank, thread on the tank, pull the slack out of the Ekowool (being careful not to pull the 1mm out of the 2mm & coil), fill the tank, cap it, add the cover, allow a bit of time for gravity and wicking to work, then enjoy.

My Chi Yous are both Kicked (for regulation), but the Kicks are set at or near the lowest setting. The vapor is heavy and VERY cool, and the throat hit is quite satisfying.

I'll try to remember to take and post pics when next I rebuild.

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Much to my wife's chagrin, yet another AIOS tank mode build....

This time, 1/16" SS cable sleeved with 2mm Ekowool. The coil is 6 wraps, 28ga Kanthal, microcoil "style" coil, but at 7/64", I doubt many would call it "micro".

WP_20131218_003.jpg

Vapes great!

The key to this thing for me has been the Ekowool. Not only does it wick fantastic, it doesn't burn (so you can dry burn your build clean) and I believe it prevents flooding.

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I found 2mm Ekowool was too much going into the tank, as it actually 'choked' the wicking. The SS rope is probably what's overcoming that. I hope to start experimenting with SS rope after the holidays.

On my current build, the Ekowool does not go into the tank, only the cable does. I purposefully leave the Ekowool sleeve long enough so that it spreads out and hits the bottom of the tank around the cable. Wicks fantastic this way. I have decided that the cable really doesn't do much in this style of build other than provide a platform for the Ekowool and coil....and of course, slightly plug up the hole in the tank. I think a 1/16" solid wire would be just as effective. Not sure where to get something like that though in SS (something safe for vaping on?)

After vaping on this current build for the day, it is by far the best I've tried yet. It is definitely a more tedious build than my previous tries, but the result was well worth the effort.

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
@ VaPreis, a stainless steel sewing nettle is what I used a few pages back, also ss mesh will do fine for supporting the wick.

I should have read back. Sorry.

Do you know the diameter of the needle? I'd really like to keep it at 1/16". And where might a 40 year old man best look to purchase a Stainless Steel sewing needle? ;)

FYI, I did find 316 Stainless steel rod readily available online...

Here's what I was looking at.

Order Stainless 316 Round in Small Quantities at OnlineMetals.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread