Status
Not open for further replies.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
About 6 months ago I had a regulated box mod. Before I got the Hex Ohm. Someone gave me some alien claptons and they ohmed so low the box said check atomizer. If u cant use them what good r they?
You can take them apart to see how they are made....if they ohm out that low, then imo there's to much metal and takes to much power to run, to inefficient.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
On the Hex Ohm 3, if the coil is too low and the potentiometer is on 100% it won't fire. Start low, about 10, and check if it fires.
On the other hand, are you building with an ohm checker? Are you sure there are no shorts and the coils actually fire?

Last edited:

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Wait...is he talking about the box he had BEFORE the hex Ohm? Or the hex ohm?

About 6 months ago I had a regulated box mod. Before I got the Hex Ohm. Someone gave me some alien claptons and they ohmed so low the box said check atomizer. If u cant use them what good r they?

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Sounds like you're just hitting a low-amp limit. Use a higher ohm coil(s). All depends on the specs. Somehow the box tries to detect a short at some threshold.

If one coil would "barely fire" that sounds like an amp limit.
All depends on the specs for the box AND the coil you're using.

You get higher ohms with thinner wire and/or longer wire (more wraps). If you also have an amp limit, you want thinner wire.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
One wud barely fire. 2 wudnt fire at all.
Sounds like you’re SOL then. That’s the thing about home made exotic coils. Not everyone does things like wire measurement and calculations. He may have just wound it till it looked good, couldn’t make it work so he gave it to you.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
How low?

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Aliens and all those other fancy coils are beautiful to look at. I recommend them to anyone complaining that their batteries last too long. Other than that, I personally don't see the advantage.

I hear ya Asbestos, and I really love my simple 28 gauge single wire builds which I use most of the time. But sometimes those fancier builds are nice too if you keep the build in a good wire mass range for the power you want to vape at.

Whatever works for someone is a good thing :)

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
I reviewed a video on the "alien" clapton....it has THREE low-gauge center wires (wrapped of course). And that's for ONE coil, in whatever topper he's using, on some box mod that's tripping out on the low ohms, and not enough watts to fire one coil, and he's got TWO coils that he tried on it.

IDK how much closer to a dead-short you can get with a device, but this has got to be near it. Two coils would have SIX...say 24 gauge....wires connecting all the posts up. :lol: I know it's a resistance-wire, but wow.

You ultra-low-ohm guys are all insane. Just say'n.

Recently, I let a guy at my local vape shop sell me some "special" 21 gauge wire (I went in for 28 gauge wire). Mistake. I don't care what formulation you use 'n stuff, it's insane. Like Asbestos4004 said....
Aliens and all those other fancy coils are beautiful to look at. I recommend them to anyone complaining that their batteries last too long. Other than that, I personally don't see the advantage.
Kudos.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread