Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOdessa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Tampa, Florida
Hey guys,
Been vaping since August 2014 in an attempt to get off tobacco. For about 6 years, I've smoked Black n Milds (inhaled) about a pack a day. It got so bad to the point where I started hacking up large piles of flem. My fear was these flem balls I hacked up would start to turn red - indicating some type of lung disease. I then had to start on an inhaler due to shortness of breath which then lead me down the path of finding an alternative.

This post will be a journal of my progress to not only track personal progress, but to help others and find a solution to my current issue with vaping. If I help just 1 other person in my situation, I feel like this post did it's job. This post will be 100% true and no factors will be hidden.

Medical background - High cholesterol, family history of heart disease, diagnosed with anxiety disorder (controlled through Xanax, ativan, nicotine, and on the weekends, alcohol), diagnosed with depression
Years smoking- 6 years - main reason for smoking is to calm anxiety
vaping history - Started with a ego battery/T3S Kanger tank with 50/50 juice. Upgraded to Protank, then started rebuilding protank heads with cotton. Moved up to Aerotank then to Kayfun. At the kayfun stage, I found juices with PG to make me sneeze so I started using exclusive VG juices. Please note up until this time I never inhaled the vapor, just puffed it like a cigar. (Mouth hit, exhale thru mouth and nose. never hit the lungs)

Upgraded to IPV Mini and Atlantis tank. Started to lunghit using 3mg Nic and 100%/Max VG juices. This is when the red eye issues started.

PROBLEM: My eyes, especially my left, looks like someone punched me in the eye. My eye lids and surrounding areas of the eye are so red it looks like i have on red makeup. I also have a rash breaking out on my neck and left hand. This just started when I started inhaling my vape vs. smoking like a cigar. My eyes are extremely dry and itchy all the time.

Tried: I've tried using higher grade juices with NO PG at all like Velvet Cloud Vapor - still bad. I've tried Max VG juices from MBV, still bad. I've tried taking allergic medication (Allegra). Eye is still red. I've tried switching to an organic cotton coil (Melo Coils) in my Atlantis, still red. I've tried drinking more water - STILL RED.

Observations: In the morning after a long night of drinking water, I wake up and my eye looks completely normal. I start vaping for a few hours, it looks like someone punched me in the face again.

I will try: Mostly PG juices - Thinking of going to a 10%VG/90%PG juice and see what happens. For now, I quit vaping for as long as I can hold on. The last time I tried to quit smoking in the past cold turkey, I went 3 days before going into an almost "postal" state. I'll see how long it takes to get off vaping before I go insane.

I recently went to the VCCT Tampa 2015 event and I almost died. The vapor in there was so dense my eyes were on FIRE. FIREEEEE - I had to leave. It got bad.

I recently was at the store getting eye drops and read that natural tears eye drops have a main ingredient as PG. Interesting.

I've also read PG being the main ingredient to cause allergic reactions, but I may be an exception? Google searches yield others having VG reactions similar to mine.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
We are all different. It very well could be a reaction to VG. The only way you will know for certain is to go PG only.

I was at Tampa also. I'm betting most of the clouds of vapor were almost all VG. If it is a VG allergy, yeah, that would do it.

Please keep us updated should you try going the PG route.

TheOdessa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Tampa, Florida
Right when I find something that truly relaxes me without all the side effects of pills/tobacco for my anxiety - life slaps me in the face and says SORRY! lol Ugh

I will update on my PG journey. Until then, I am holding off on vaping for as long as I can (without going to tobacco) to see if my eyes heal up and it's truly a VG reaction.

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
There is another thing to look at, you say this didn't start til you started using the Atlantis, I know for myself I got the nautilus tank last month and within 2 days I had broke out in a rash that is just now fully clearing up. It was the use of cotton in the wick that caused me the problem.

I quit using the tank, went back to my old set ups and no more problem.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
This is going to sound crazy.. But why don't you go to a DOCTOR and get an alergy test.. Rather than asking ignorant internet forum users about SERIOUS health issues.

You might be alergic to Kanthal or flavorings and not the PG or VG at all. You could even be alergic to the wick materials. BUT WE ARE NOT THE PEOPLE TO ASK.

diabolique

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Portland, Oregon USA
You can rule things out by smoking your juice with out Nicotine, see if that helps, if not omit the vg, and just try PG only. see if any of that helps, It helped me.
VG is too heavy for me, caused anxiety, made my heart race, caused breathing issues, caused burning around my lips and gums. Am now on high blood pressure medicine for the racing heart, using PG only and am at 0 nicotine. The process of elimination may be worth a try. But........
By all means see your Doctor.
I mix my own juice now. DIY is the way to go. Then you know how much of what your getting.

Last edited:

CrazyNight

Verified Member
Sep 10, 2014
NY USA
I know I'm just a newbie here and might not have anything incredibly enlightening to add, but what user diabolique just mentioned struck a chord with me - ruling things out.

I do a lot of reading and self-help video watching and recently watched some videos by well-known reviewers and such, and in one of them the guy talks about how important the process of elimination is.

In his video he mentions that when you can't figure out what you're reacting to, if possible get your hands on (or DIY) some liquid that has no nicotine and no flavoring in it. That way you're starting out with just your wick, vg, and pg. If you don't have a reaction, then you know it might be the nic or the flavoring you're using. If you do get a reaction then you've narrowed it down to either the vg, pg, or wicking. So from there you might try switching from cotton to silica wick (or vice-versa) to rule out the wicking. If that doesn't do it, then you could add flavor and see if that triggers it, then nic, and... well you get the idea. Step through it all one-by-one until you find what's triggering your allergy.

It's not hard to obtain the food-grade vg and pg and other ingredients to DIY a bottle for yourself for such testing purposes.

With that said, just like the experts / veteran vapers say in their videos - I'm not a doctor and have no medical qualifications to answer with. I'm just talking about basic trouble-shooting steps by process of elimination.

Wishing you luck because I believe in the power of vaping as a great way to get away from cigarettes, so I know it's crucial for you to get to the bottom of this. Good luck!

LMS62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
Mesa, AZ
This is going to sound crazy.. But why don't you go to a DOCTOR and get an alergy test.. Rather than asking ignorant internet forum users about SERIOUS health issues.

You might be alergic to Kanthal or flavorings and not the PG or VG at all. You could even be alergic to the wick materials. BUT WE ARE NOT THE PEOPLE TO ASK.
Keep in mind, many people will initiate threads like this not to necessarily get serious/in-depth medical advice, but to see if any others have had similar experiences, etc.

TheOdessa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Tampa, Florida
There is another thing to look at, you say this didn't start til you started using the Atlantis, I know for myself I got the nautilus tank last month and within 2 days I had broke out in a rash that is just now fully clearing up. It was the use of cotton in the wick that caused me the problem.

I quit using the tank, went back to my old set ups and no more problem.

Interesting - what set up do you use now? I've used cotton wicks in my KayFuns and Lemo in the past with no issue so I sort of ruled that out. I used organic cotton then switched to Japanese.

TheOdessa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Tampa, Florida

Honestly, as LMS62 said, I came on here to get ideas and see if I could get someone whom had a similar situation to myself - eventually hopefully helping someone who may be having this issue once I pin point it.

I have a doctor I see monthly - he is against vaping and smoking due to my heart conditions, but he isn't too smart when it comes to vaping. He thinks it leaves tar in my lungs - sigh. I'm better off seeing an allergist, but I'd rather do it myself then go see a pro. I know, I'm weird.

TheOdessa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Tampa, Florida
Try some Halo e-liquid. Halo is high PG and uses very high quality nic, PG and VG.

Halo E Liquid | Premium Smoke Juice

yOu can get 10% off using this code-
ECFTEN2014

It's funny you mention this company. I actually just broke out a new coil and wicked it with Halo Menthol X. I got a few free bottles from a vaping convention I was at Saturday from the Halo stand.

When at a convention, tell the people you never heard of them before. I got a lot of free bottles this way, and 99% of the time I was telling the truth. There are SO MANY companies out there it's nuts.

TheOdessa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Tampa, Florida
You can rule things out by smoking your juice with out Nicotine, see if that helps, if not omit the vg, and just try PG only. see if any of that helps, It helped me.
VG is too heavy for me, caused anxiety, made my heart race, caused breathing issues, caused burning around my lips and gums. Am now on high blood pressure medicine for the racing heart, using PG only and am at 0 nicotine. The process of elimination may be worth a try. But........
By all means see your Doctor.
I mix my own juice now. DIY is the way to go. Then you know how much of what your getting.

It's funny you mention the heavy part. The VG caused me breathing issues and puts a nice film of white crap on the windows of my car and truck. I can only fathom what it's putting in my lungs. I read there is something in VG people can be allergic to when heated up and vaped.

Cacique

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2014
Orlando, FL
I would 2nd trying PG. I think you said you used an inhaler when your lungs got bad, and I believe inhalers are in a PG base so that might be worth it. I suffer from allergies myself. Something you could do is dab a tiny bit of the VG juice on the inside of your elbow and see if it turns red or you get a reaction there, then it could be something in the juice. Not necessarily the VG but could also be flavorings. You could pick yourself up some pure VG at the pharmacy and see if vaping that affects you the same way.

TheOdessa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Tampa, Florida
I would 2nd trying PG. I think you said you used an inhaler when your lungs got bad, and I believe inhalers are in a PG base so that might be worth it. I suffer from allergies myself. Something you could do is dab a tiny bit of the VG juice on the inside of your elbow and see if it turns red or you get a reaction there, then it could be something in the juice. Not necessarily the VG but could also be flavorings. You could pick yourself up some pure VG at the pharmacy and see if vaping that affects you the same way.

Well, hello there fellow Floridian! I am in Orlando all the time for work - So many tourists!!!

Does anyone know of a good mostly PG vendor? The only one I can find is Zues Juice based out of St Pete, Florida. They have 100% PG or 90%PG/10% VG - It isn't cheap but their juices are amazingly good. I got a bunch of samples and they were amazing but $18 for 30ml can get expensive if I vape 5-8ml a day.

The inhaler I am on in Ventolin. I'd have to do more research, but I know it's albuteral. I don't know what that is comprised of.

So, I've been vaping this Menthol X by Halo eCigs....and my eyes look normal. I cannot believe it - I really may have a VG allergy. I'm mad though because I have an entire shelf of VG juices + more in the mail from Vista Vapors. Sigh - Atleast I found some kind of relief to this eye cure. You guys are awesome!! I'll continue to update!

Edit: I just dripped some pure VG juice on the inside of my elbow, Velvet Cloud Vapor - 0PG in it, and nothing happened. Atleast I tried...

Last edited:

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Well, hello there fellow Floridian! I am in Orlando all the time for work - So many tourists!!!

Does anyone know of a good mostly PG vendor? The only one I can find is Zues Juice based out of St Pete, Florida. They have 100% PG or 90%PG/10% VG - It isn't cheap but their juices are amazingly good. I got a bunch of samples and they were amazing but $18 for 30ml can get expensive if I vape 5-8ml a day.

The inhaler I am on in Ventolin. I'd have to do more research, but I know it's albuteral. I don't know what that is comprised of.

So, I've been vaping this Menthol X by Halo eCigs....and my eyes look normal. I cannot believe it - I really may have a VG allergy. I'm mad though because I have an entire shelf of VG juices + more in the mail from Vista Vapors. Sigh - Atleast I found some kind of relief to this eye cure. You guys are awesome!! I'll continue to update!

Edit: I just dripped some pure VG juice on the inside of my elbow, Velvet Cloud Vapor - 0PG in it, and nothing happened. Atleast I tried...

Inhalation may be different from contact with the skin. Don't totally discount the VG sensitivity. Keep it in the back of your mind as you vape different blends.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...

It could also be they type and purity of the ingredients and nic. you are having a reaction to, rather than just the PG or VG...

elbakan1

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2014
Cape Coral, Florida.
I hear you. Depression was my middle name.
The worst state of all.

My depression was always related to money.
Only, the times I had the money, I went manic.
Really manic. As in Lambo manic.

I don't envy you a bit. Dunno if you get manic sometimes.
Being manic is The Best state of mind. By far!!!.
Only society suffers. I don't.

I become a REAL menace to society. And I LUV IT!!!.
You get away with it for a while. Sometimes, a long while.
Until one day. When your family can't take it anymore.
And you are forced to visit a shrink...... Or ELSE.
Your constant happiness is lost FOREVER.
They give you something called Lamictal. (A mood stabilizer.)

The dose is too little, and I go to see the Pdoc all dressed in purple.
Suit, shirt, tie, hat, shoes, socks and underwear.
I thought he will be impressed. Passed by my and said: "you look like a prune."
He later comes back and says."In my office, Sir".
He wants to increase the dose, and I refuse.
"C'mon, Doc, I'm doing fine." I just felt festive today.".
"It's not your cloth, it's your eyes.".
Forgot to wear purple contacts. I should have. I had the shades.

This is getting too long again. Damn me.
The point is, if you can avoid it, don't be depressed, be manic.
A whole lot more FUN!!!.

About the liquid, VG is bad. Very bad. Sent me to the Pulmo.
Maybe made me last a little longer. And in better shape.
But the end for emphysema is always the same.
Avoid tobacco at all costs. Don't get your lungs perforated.
There's no reverse in that car.
If you're depressed, sing, dance, bother people.
Anything but smoking again.

Forgot to mention (my mind is not the same "being normal.")
You are only kidding yourself. "They" already know you're not "normal".
Prove 'em right. GIVE "EM HELL!!!

All the Best for you.

Carl;os.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread