Allowed to vape at work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GolemGolem

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
Arkansas
I work for a very large bank in a customer service call center. A friend of mine emailed the VP of his dept to ask if we could use them indoors and was shot down. The VP likened it to allowing people to drink non-alcoholic beer on the job and bringing in fake guns. Personally i don't agree with any part of that statement and I'm sure you guys don't either. All I can wish for is that I make more or at least as much money as VP someday, considering how stupid the man sounds.
If it's anything like my workplace:
You will need to lower your IQ a few points if you ever wish to become management. I advise a hearty mixture of whiskey, gambling, and join a Pentecostal church.

GolemGolem

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
Arkansas
I am not only allowed to vape at work, I am encouraged to. One of my co-workers made the switch on my recommendation and my boss said he'd pay me a bonus for anyone else I'm willing to guide in to a good PV.

My boss cares about each and every employee and treats us like family. He's a good guy... and the loss of his father to lung cancer four years ago is still fresh in his mind.
Dude that is a clubfoot in your avatar, I freakin' miss Montana. Missoula or Helena?

Sandnor

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
Las Vegas NV
Before I even started my job I made sure that they knew I vaped and why. They are very supportive of it for not only health reasons but productivity reasons as well. Instead of losing at least a hour a day of me taking a smoke break, they get me working those would be lost minutes. It's also a bonus that it is healthier. As soon as they saw all of the advantages with little to no draw backs, they readily have allowed me to vape to my hearts content.

Renegade

Apr 3, 2011
Maine
I work for a company of about 300ppl in Maine. They've adopted a wellness plan and are heavy against smoking. There is no tobacco use on company property, you can only leave company property if you are off the clock. You cannot punch out for your 10 minute morning break. So the only time you can smoke is on your lunch break. So for three years I had to go from 6:00am to noon without a cigarette. Then again from 12:30 to either 3:30 or 4:30.

I am not sure I want to even broach the subject of vaping. For now, I vape in the 1 person bathrooms whenever I feel the urge. I just make sure I use a different one each time. If I do broach the subject it will be asking the wellness coach (from an outside company) what he thinks of it then go from there.

ponytail girl

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2011
Hawaii
I first started with a PV that look like a analog..so I went in to see the boss and show him..I'm a courier and not allowed to smoke in company truck..he was fine with it..now I use a provari with a Map Tank my co-workers always like looking at my PV..I don't vape inside don't wanna push it..but do vape in my truck on road..I'm so glad I quit analogs and I'm glad this forum is here to learn from.

lynn30

Jun 17, 2011
Clarksville, TN
Back when I worked in a call center, it would've been easy for me to vape.... just get a cubicle away from managers and wouldn't have to deal with the possible "not here".... but alas I didn't start back then. I now work at home, and vape either between calls or when customers are on hold lol. I like that I don't have to "smoke it all at once to avoid wasting it". Just one puff to get me by :) With my other job, I'm out in the open all day @ a mall, and I don't see my boss taking too kindly to me doing it when I should be up helping customers haha.

locke2121

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2011
Da South!
Working for a part of the government, well, you get a lot of rules lol. One is that there cannot be any use of a nicotine-containing object/device in the building or within 50 feet of it. That includes PVs. I actually went all the way to the top of my company and was treated with respect..but after a round with the company docs, was told since nicotine is involved...and it is an addictive substance lol...that I couldn't do it inside.

Jerk

Jun 15, 2011
NZ
Working for a part of the government, well, you get a lot of rules lol. One is that there cannot be any use of a nicotine-containing object/device in the building or within 50 feet of it. That includes PVs. I actually went all the way to the top of my company and was treated with respect..but after a round with the company docs, was told since nicotine is involved...and it is an addictive substance lol...that I couldn't do it inside.

well if that's all they say you could try 0 nic liquid LOL.

MASTER0FDAMPF

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
Philly
I puff away happily in my cube. I work at a medical research institute, and so far they have all been supportive. I think they love it because I am no longer in front (or out back) of the building puffing away. I gave them a chance to learn first at a company sponsored off-site event, so they knew what it was before I took it to work.

moonlight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I vape in my cube, but I'm stealth about it...blow the vapor under my desk when no one is looking. Most people around know I do it and since no one has complained, I just carry on.

Once in a while someone will come into the area and say "Hmmm...it smells like cookies over here" or something like that. The funniest was "it smells like dryer sheets over here." LOL

Ever1ast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2011
SW FL Gulf Coast
I work in a police dispatch center, in a large open room (no cubicles) surrounded by glass. Anyone walking by can look in, and we occasionally get public tours brought through. Knowing this, I haven't even bothered pushing the issue yet. I mentioned it to one of my bosses just to see her reaction and got the "Oh they'd probably have a fit". So I've been stealth vaping since and still going out to the smoker's porch to vape whenever I get the chance. But it would be alot more convenient to be able to stay and my desk and not hide. I do have one more card to play though - the Chief is a smoker and I would often end up outside with him while we got our nic fix. Next time I run into him out there I plan on telling him all about the benefits of vaping over smoking. If I can convince the guy at the top, maybe it'll trickle down ;^)

Net-Cop

Apr 14, 2011
Cols, OH
I work in a police dispatch center, in a large open room (no cubicles) surrounded by glass. Anyone walking by can look in, and we occasionally get public tours brought through. Knowing this, I haven't even bothered pushing the issue yet. I mentioned it to one of my bosses just to see her reaction and got the "Oh they'd probably have a fit". So I've been stealth vaping since and still going out to the smoker's porch to vape whenever I get the chance. But it would be alot more convenient to be able to stay and my desk and not hide. I do have one more card to play though - the Chief is a smoker and I would often end up outside with him while we got our nic fix. Next time I run into him out there I plan on telling him all about the benefits of vaping over smoking. If I can convince the guy at the top, maybe it'll trickle down ;^)

I went through a similar ordeal, my sergeant was cool with it. But the new Lt. had a thing for anything that even looked like a cigarette. Well it went up to the bureau Cmdr and the Lt was told "as long as he's in the top 5% of his physical fitness range he can do what he want's ... it's not tobacco." However to smooth things over I restrict it to my office or outside, and to his credit the Lt. seems to be coming around. As once ot twice a month he ask's how I'm doing staying off analogs, so I may have just paved the way for others. Now keep in mind I work plain clothes, I'm not sure that this would go over real well in a uniform. I've also put in a call to a friend who works in the HR office to see if I could get these added to the "smoking secession program", if it's added then it's ok with management.

Jim

ec!gg

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
www.ecigg.org
I went through a similar ordeal, my sergeant was cool with it. But the new Lt. had a thing for anything that even looked like a cigarette. Well it went up to the bureau Cmdr and the Lt was told "as long as he's in the top 5% of his physical fitness range he can do what he want's ... it's not tobacco." However to smooth things over I restrict it to my office or outside, and to his credit the Lt. seems to be coming around. As once ot twice a month he ask's how I'm doing staying off analogs, so I may have just paved the way for others. Now keep in mind I work plain clothes, I'm not sure that this would go over real well in a uniform. I've also put in a call to a friend who works in the HR office to see if I could get these added to the "smoking secession program", if it's added then it's ok with management.

Jim

I am sure being in uniform... might be a different story :)

Ever1ast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2011
SW FL Gulf Coast

Jim

Talked over the HR aspect with my wife (she's the HR admin) and we came to the conclusion it's a lost cause. Starting to look like the best bet at my dept is to just bombard command staff with seeing them till they accept them. I've already brought 4 co-workers on board in the last week alone. One of our detectives that just picked his PV up yesterday already has one or two potential converts as well. I figure if we can each keep that trend going and make sure the brass knows it's an effort to reduce "tobacco use" within the dept; maybe they'll come around. Maybe....:blink:

DarthVper

ECF Veteran
May 26, 2011
Fort Meade, MD

So no caffeine either right? No coffee or soda?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread