Status
Not open for further replies.

sebdec

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Hey,
I posted last week about tight/airy pull experience. where I was a bit confused and surprised most people complained about tight puffing. I was actually frustrated about the opposite. AIRY pulls. After reading a whole lot on this forum, I came to some conclusions.
1. I got a dud from SI, way too airy. My 2nd 78mm auto pulls just fine.
2. I had to review my whole vaping perceptions. Having started off with greensmoke and that's all I knew, I was content (to a certain point and besides other negative issues not related) with the pull resistance it offered. Not a straw but not a milkshake either, more like analogs. I guess it's related to battery generations and/or seals, whatever. So I'm beggining to accept that THAT is vaping and I could get used to it (as long as I don't get out of breath before puffing it all in.
3. with so many positive reviews (by connaisseurs) of the VOLT, I think it might just be a question of tweaking my equipment and not tossing it away (besides the dud);)
4. You can't judge a hardware product from the prefilled juices which are terrible. THAT'S where I was kind of misled also since GreenSmoke Tobbaco Gold is really a wonderful flavor (good tobbaco and sweetness balance).

That said, I read alot about the relation between carto resistance, batt voltage and juice. Could anyone help me adding the right gear to my setup that would not make me start all over$. Are the blanks from SI the same as their prefilled? I find they dont produce that much vapor and TH.

My prefs: tighter pull, good TH (on 18mg nic), Tabacco, woodsy flavs rather than fruity. also, are any of the prefilled 808 good to go when in a hurry? (halo? compatible?)

Also thinking of adding a ECHO to my setup, how's the draw? and would i need new cartos?

I know it's a long post but there are few questions in it ;)

thanks for your help.
seb

Darkstarncw

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2012
Clemson, SC
I can't answer all of your questions because I'm relatively new but I'll try to get a couple.
The SI blanks are in fact the same cartomizers as their prefilled. I haven't had any real trouble with the vapor production in mine, but I've found I get better throat hit from my Riva than my Volt. I use 2 ohm Boge Cartos on the Riva though, so that helps significantly. From what I understand it probably wouldn't be a good idea to use lr cartos on a Volt, because it's a 280 mAh battery, which will be eaten alive by the low resistance.

Charlz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2011
upstate NY
You can use those cartos on an echo but I'd learn how to fill blank cartos first before stepping up to an acho carto. They have a bit f a learning curve to filling them. You think the battery itself is airy? Are you certain it's not the carto that's airy? If it is, you can adjust the filler with a straw by tapping it down a little. Should tighten the draw either way. Just make sure you avoid hitting the center tube in the carto.

I was already on to filling my own cartos before I ever bought anything from SI or any of the others that use prefilled so I can't help you there. Standard resistance for a kr8 carto is 3.0ohms. You can look and find them in 2.5 too. 2.0 is technically safe on a 280 mah battery but it's toeing the line and will cut the vape time practically in half.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Hi Sebdec and welcome to ECF!

Well, Volt (Bloog, G6 etc.) is a decent PV and quite popular among KR808 users. I started my career with kr808 (like most of us here did), but then quickly realized that I was ready for something better and more versatile and switched to eGos and Rivas and never looked back. I still use my kr808 batteries (V4L, SmokeStik and Bloog) when I want to "blend in" or just need that ciglike feeling that mini batteries offer, but my go-to PV is a fat 510 battery.

Most of the Blooglike cartos are very similar and perform pretty much the same, at least in my tests. If you like Halo juices, you can get G6 cartos directly from Halo. But if you don't like the draw on your Volts, chances are you won't like the Bloogs or G6 cartos either.

And yes, if the ciglike form of the minis is not critical to you, I agree with the above suggestion--a nice eGo or Riva with a 2.0Ω Boge carto is really hard to beat. I also like Smoktech single-coil cartos (1.0Ω, 2.0Ω and 2.5Ω--they are all nice).

EDIT: Echo would work as well--thank you, Prism...

Last edited:

sebdec

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Thanks for your help everyone,

@Charlz, yes it's the battery I tried many cartos on it. The main difference I find with 808 is that the air inlets are on the cart, as opposed to my Greensmokes which are threaded flush and air goes through the batt tip. But good to know that straw trick.
AND YES I definitely am looking into filling myself. Will start with refilling my VOLTs first though.

@Katya the ECHO is 808 threaded and also an auto battery, which is why I leaning towards it.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
I use V4L but it's not a tight drag. I prefer the V4L manuals (the ones that state a custom 10+ second cutoff). Their WOW juices/cartos have plenty of hit. Same threading as Volt. With V4L WOW cartos I recommend their black delrin drip tip in place of the end cap because the mouth end can get hot (the Volt cartos have a horizontal coil which keeps the mouth end cooler).

There is nothing stronger in slim ecigs than KR808D-1 (and KR808D-2 like Greensmoke) at 3.7v. And slim ecigs should only use single coil standard resistance 2.5 to 3 ohm cartos/attys so you are already at the hot end of that with real 3.7v slims and 2.5/2.6 ohm cartos.

For anything stronger you need to go to fat 650mah+ models and mods - they can use the hotter LR cartos lower than 2.5 ohms.

poetofisis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2011
Gillette, WY
www.hotheadvapor.com
I've been deathly in love with my Volt since day one. That was about 9 months ago or summat. I have the regular auto, sealed, and manual. The sealed pulls a tad bit tighter than the auto, but less so than the manual. The biggest factor is the battery pin and carto pin. If they don't line up just right, fairly rare btw, you'll have issues like inconsistent vapor, tight or airy draw, or juice in mouth and no vapor. I've had this issue with 510, 808, adapters, etc. My manual wouldn't work worth a crap with an adapter but my auto would, and the sealed was hit and miss. Then I discovered my manual batt pin needed adjustment and the vision I was using was getting juice in the airhole, screwing with my vape. So there's far more at work than a battery. If all you're using is volt cartos , than I suggest adjusting your pins or only using that one on the batt it works with best. Hell, I do that anyway, as my blackjack has a warmer vape and tastes better on the manual as a result.

If/when the cartos get to be too much of a hassle, they were for me after a short time, I'd highly recommend snagging up some ce2 ultimates from myvaporstore or fluxos from gotvapes. They both carry them in 808. Look up how to tweak em by pulling the orings and using the middle one to seal and you'll be a much more satisfied vapor. Just be careful If you're using unsealed batts. Best o luck, bud!

I'm REALLY new to vaping, and only know about our Volts, but here's what I've learned: the manual 78mm batteries have better/tighter draws than the autos or shorter ones, and the blank cartos are better than the pre-filled. Our (my husband's any my) personal preferences are for the manual batts with the blank cartos with a different brand juice. He likes the RY4 and I like to change mine up between the RY4 and a bunch of different sweet/dessert flavors. Funny thing: normally I'm not a big sweet fan, but I'm really becoming surprised at what I like and don't like to vape! Be willing to try ANYTHING when it comes to juice!

sebdec

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Then I discovered my manual batt pin needed adjustment and the vision I was using was getting juice in the airhole, screwing with my vape. So there's far more at work than a battery. If all you're using is volt cartos , than I suggest adjusting your pins or only using that one on the batt it works with best. Hell, I do that anyway, as my blackjack has a warmer vape and tastes better on the manual as a result.

What do you mean by adjusting pins?

sebdec

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Funny thing: normally I'm not a big sweet fan, but I'm really becoming surprised at what I like and don't like to vape! Be willing to try ANYTHING when it comes to juice!

I know what you mean. At first I was disgusted by the prefilled SI carts and I read in some thread somebody comparing the 555 to a 'dead wet dog' LOLZ. Actually it's my favorite, smells a bit like jasmine rice mixed with other funky stuff. But not for long, will be ordering from acclaimed juice vendors as of tonight and start experimenting ;) cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread