American Lung Association lies about risks/benefits of different tobacco products (including e-cigs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
ALA just sent out the following e-mail, which it also posted at:
American Lung Association - Donate: Email - Mary Ella's Message -- August 15, 2011

Is There an Easy Way to Quit?
August 15, 2011

What is the best way to quit smoking? According to the latest research, the most effective way to quit is by participating in a behavior modification program (such as FFS Online) and combining that with an FDA-approved medication. Sounds simple, doesn’t it? Ha! Becoming smokefree is anything but simple, yet some folks will try almost anything that promises to a quicker, easier way to quit smoking. You can’t wave a magic wand and suddenly be done with the process of quitting. That’s why a program like FFS Online can be helpful since it guides you through the rough patches to your new, smokefree life.
Many FFS Online participants have asked about using other tobacco products to deal with cravings as they quit smoking cigarettes. Here’s why using those other tobacco products isn’t a good way to quit:

Smokeless Tobacco
Smokeless tobacco includes chewing tobacco, snuff, snus and some other new products. Some people think that using smokeless tobacco is a safe alternative to smoking but that’s not the case. Smokeless tobacco has 28 cancer-causing agents and it increases the risk of developing cancer in the mouth, gums, and pancreas. The amount of nicotine that is absorbed from smokeless tobacco is 3 to 4 times the amount delivered by a cigarette. Learn more about smokeless tobacco.
Cigars
Cigars contain many of the same addictive, toxic and cancer-causing compounds found in cigarettes. A single large cigar can contain as much tobacco as an entire pack of cigarettes. The health risks from smoking cigars are similar to those from smoking cigarettes, including 4 to 10 times the risk of dying from oral, esophageal or laryngeal cancer in comparison to nonsmokers. People who smoke cigars heavily or inhale deeply also increase their risk of developing COPD, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Learn more about cigars.
Hookahs or Water Pipes
Hookahs, also called water pipes, are relatively new to the U.S. but hookah bars are growing in popularity. Some people believe that hookah use is harmless. Not so! Because a typical hookah session lasts 40 – 45 minutes, hookah users have increased exposure to the dangerous chemicals in tobacco smoke. Lung cancer and other diseases have been linked to hookah use.
e-Cigarettes
There is no scientific evidence establishing the safety of e-cigarettes. The FDA has found that these products contain cancer-causing agents and toxic chemicals, including the ingredients found in anti-freeze. While some distributors directly or indirectly market e-cigarettes for smoking cessation, there is no scientific evidence that demonstrates these products are safe or effective at helping smokers quit.
You have the best chance of quitting for good when you do the hard work of proceeding through a program like FFS Online and you use an FDA-approved medication. If those medications aren’t the right choice for you, you can still quit by trying your hardest with FFS Online.
As you go through the next couple of weeks:
1. Seek support. Many FFS Online participants are willing to lend you a hand and supportive posts on the Message Boards. Use that support!2. Keep your hands busy. You can play a free computer baseball game that will help the American Lung Association and you might even win tickets to a World Series game. Register for Go to Bat.3. Call the Lung HelpLine if you have questions about quitting, medications, or any lung health topic. It’s free and our counselors are available from 8:00 a.m. until midnight Eastern Time, seven days a week. You can reach the HelpLine by calling 800-548-8252 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 800-548-8252 end_of_the_skype_highlighting.4. Look up your local American Lung Association office and get involved. Volunteer by putting together a climb or walk team, ask about how you can support advocacy efforts in your state to protect your lung health, or ask if there is anything you can do where you live or work to Fight for Air.5. Reward yourself for the hard work you’re doing. It’s important to celebrate milestones along the way and to treat yourself to something you enjoy. Reinforcing your new behavior in a positive way will help you to remain smokefree.I’ll see you on the Message Boards! :) Mary Ella

Don’t forget: If you're in the Premium program and want help fast on the Message Boards, put "HELP NOW" in the subject line of your post. If you're looking to offer help, watch for those, "HELP NOW" posts and alert your other FFS Online buddies to offer some assistance as well.

Vap0rJay

ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
Maryland
images

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
*frantically waves her 808*

yes you can! yes you can!

Does my pretty, shiny blue eGo count as a magic wand?

The irony is that it's the ANTZ who believe in magic. "If we just manage to outlaw all the less hazardous products, then all smokers will automagically quit one day."

Well, probably at least 85% of hte smokers don't know that smoke-free products are any safer, but they are STILL SMOKING.

Last edited:

Rwood9

Aug 4, 2011
NC
Fortunately, I believe that those who are dedicated to becoming analog-free find forums like this before they find the type of misinformation quoted above. I'm not sure what motive drives those who try to undermine e-cigs, but the fact that such blatant ignorance is being put forth by otherwise reputable organizations reinforces my belief that there is no valid justification for internet censorship. While I don't believe that vaping can be successfully outlawed in the US, without the type of information available here, many people will never know that an analog-alternative exists. Personally, I don't know where I'd be on this journey without ECF.

I love it!

We need "Quit or Die is a Lie" T-shirts.

OK GUYS LET'S BE SERIOUS FOR A MINUTE HERE...I have a Vinyl Cutter, me and my brother do vehicle graphics, t-shirts, and water [pipes...lol...But yeah is there anyway I can make these and sell them for a cheap price, and have all the profits (Just would need some help with funding for T-shirts and vinyl, both are rather cheap) go to any cause that's fighting the FDA and anti-PV people in congress and the white house?

OK GUYS LET'S BE SERIOUS FOR A MINUTE HERE...I have a Vinyl Cutter, me and my brother do vehicle graphics, t-shirts, and water [pipes...lol...But yeah is there anyway I can make these and sell them for a cheap price, and have all the profits (Just would need some help with funding for T-shirts and vinyl, both are rather cheap) go to any cause that's fighting the FDA and anti-PV people in congress and the white house?
This is seriously something I would happily donate my time too for free..If I could get a half decent designer on board, maybe perhaps make a thread, we can even do logos and ECF advertising, only of course if that's okay with ECF

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Xcuse me... just wondering exactly what chemicals they are talking about that are supposedly in ecigs. Also, just asking, do we know they are not?
The antifreeze scare is based on the finding of a bit of diethylene glycol in one of the cartridges tested by the FDA.

While important to take note of since is should NOT be in there, it was found in only one cartridge out of the 18 tested.
It was NOT found in the any of the NJoy cartridges tested, only in one of the Smoking Everywhere cartridges.

And even knowing that, you should also know that the amount of diethylene glycol that was found in that one Smoking Everywhere cartridge (approximately 1% according to the test results) is not particularly harmful and would require sucking down around 600 hundred cartridges in one day to get near a toxic level.

Also of note is that diethylene glycol is also in cigarettes.
And the FDA allows amounts of less that 0.1% to be present in any products that contain propylene glycol.

Yeah, that is not the best news, but not the worst news either.
And yes, again, that diethylene glycol should not be in there no matter how little there was.

But the most important thing to know?
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/centers-institutes/population-development/files/article.jphp.pdf

No other tests have ever found diethylene glycol in any electronic cigarette liquid.
And no test, including the FDA test in question, has EVER found DEG in the vapor produced.

helmar

Mar 6, 2011
Nowhere
This is seriously something I would happily donate my time too for free..If I could get a half decent designer on board, maybe perhaps make a thread, we can even do logos and ECF advertising, only of course if that's okay with ECF

I'm a 3d animator and graphic designer. I have worked freelance, for firms and have worked as a graphic design teacher. I might be willing to help if I have the time. Which is ok for now as I am on my summer holidays. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread