Analogues vs E Cigs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

So I've just got received my vaping kit in the post and have tried a few flavours.

I'm a 20-25 a day B and H smoker and tend to smoke every 45 minutes or so.

My question now is should I just go cold turkey on the analogues or just cut them down gradually?

I ordered 18mg juice and have been experimenting the last couple of days.

I find that I'm still wanting to light up analogues even after vaping on the 18mg's.

Is that normal? Maybe I could taper off my analogues?

How would you go about doing it?

Would dropping one analogue a day be a sensible approach or would that be too extreme?

Interested in hearing on how you got off the analogues :).

FourWinds

ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2014
UK
Hello,

Well I just stopped right off; no issue for me at all. I did start with, and still use, 2.4% (that's 24mg but I don't like to say it that way as it's incomplete unless you say mg/ml, and that's just cumbersome). I was a 30 year smoker, and made it to 40 a day in the last 5 years.

Vaping worked so well for me that I got curious. What would happen if I smoked tobacco I thought...and thought. So I caved a few weeks ago and bummed a few whilst out and about one night. The taste was quite close to the Hangsen Gold&Silver I vape, but it stung my nose. (the Hangsen G&S is a very good B&H simulation btw...imo of course, but I'm right). I even played about taking a drag on the analogue, and then a vape with the other hand. It was interesting to note how good vaping was, I mean what an excellent smoking replacement it is.

So, what was the result of my three analogue evening experiment? The next morning and up to now I've just been vaping along quite nicely with no desire at all to smoke again. Interestingly, the smoking did damage my throat a little (yeah, even just three of the buggers) as the next morning the vape was catching in my throat when I inhaled like it did when I first started to vape. My throat was fine in just a day though, unlike the couple of weeks or so it took to heal up when I started. The only downside is that now I have to say that I only stopped three weeks ago, and not three months; the real annoying thing is that I can't even remember the date, and so I won't know the day that it's been a year.

So back to your question about the way to stop smoking: I think it's clear from reading here that there's no one size fits all solution. Some like me can just swap, but others can take months. Some seem to reduce the nic' percentage they vape real fast, others either go slow or have no intention of reduction. I was thinking of cutting down to under 2% myself, but I'm in no real hurry.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I think that you might benefit from starting at a higher nic level, at least 24mg, to help kill off the cigarette cravings. That nicotine rush made me not want a smoke for the most part.

There is no right way to move into vaping from smoking - some do it immediately, many do both for some time. As long as you're smoking less you are on the right path. Good luck!

thebanik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2014
New Delhi, India
There is no right way to stop. As long as you have the will to stop, just take one day at a time. If you can go cold turkey thats great, if not replace analog's with as much vaping as you want. A cigarette avoided is a cigarette less you smoked. I had a pack left when my first mail with the cig a like kit arrived, I smoked that in a couple of weeks but didnt buy another packet.

mroach

Moved On
Mar 28, 2014
dublin, oh
I agree with the idea you may want to get some 24mg but the 18 is pretty good. I smoked about as much and often as you. I tried to switch didnt work (wasn't vaping enough) slowly got down to about 5-10 a day then switched completely. I think it was more I psychological though I just really needed to stop buying analogs and since have been doing just fine and definitely dont miss smelling like smoke (now that I can smell it again lol).

Good luck

erikbal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2013
Olean, NY
Like others have stated you've gotta find what works for you. I smoked my last cig the day I got my first starter kit and haven't touched one since. I just switched right over and that was Oct 12 2013. If that doesn't work for you then start gradually reducing them day by day and replacing your cravings with vaping until you get down to just 1 or 2 a day and then one day you'll realize you haven't had any. You can do it and remember it's not about the ones you do smoke it's about the ones you DON'T!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Hi

When you start there are a buncha things you have to sort out. The big picture? Vaping isn't smoking.

From your description it sounds a little like you are expecting vaping to be like smaoking. Like "vape vape vape done" and that should make you feel like you just had a cigarette. It doesn't work that way. You don't get knocked over the head with vaping like you do with smokes. The nicotine gets into your system slowly - same as with nicotine gum. For most people new to vaping that means you have to work at vaping enough to replace smoking and satisfy your cravings. Short vape breaks here and there don't work very well. So while you are figuring out how to vape enough don't be surprised if you still have cigarette cravings.

Everyone gets to do this differently - that's why it works so well. Some people do that "I picked up a PV and never touched another cigarette." thing. I smoked for my first three months of vaping. You get to figure out your own end game.

Last edited:

Manxsi

Mar 10, 2014
Isle of Man
Make your vaping a hobby, never touched or wanted a stinker since the day I took up vaping (over 2 months ago). I find tinkering with coil rebuilds takes my mind away from analogues and gives me something to do with my hands. And when I'm not recoiling I am learning off the good people on this forum, again taking my mind off the dreaded tobacco.

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
Hi,

So I've just got received my vaping kit in the post and have tried a few flavours.

I'm a 20-25 a day B and H smoker and tend to smoke every 45 minutes or so.

My question now is should I just go cold turkey on the analogues or just cut them down gradually?

I ordered 18mg juice and have been experimenting the last couple of days.

I find that I'm still wanting to light up analogues even after vaping on the 18mg's.

Is that normal? Maybe I could taper off my analogues?

How would you go about doing it?

Would dropping one analogue a day be a sensible approach or would that be too extreme?

Interested in hearing on how you got off the analogues :).

Welcome to Vaping! :)

I didn't have another cigarette once I received my first kit (8/10/11), just didn't want one. I had no plans to quit, just liked vaping better (after almost 30 years, 1.5 PAD too!).

But the one thing I've learned in my time here, is that everyone has their own pace. Just do what feels comfortable. I did have one drag off a cigarette about 8 hours after receiving my kit. Couldn't stand it, put it out, and gave all my cigarettes to my roommates (who still smoked at the time - and inside the house!!).

So take your time - it will happen when you're ready. :)

John Phoenix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
New Orleans
shoesmith87

I was able to put the cigs down right away with the e-cig. It did help though that I ran out just when my first kit arrived so it wasn't a temptation. I took my first few puffs from the e-cig, saw the vapor, felt the nicotine and knew i could replace my cigarettes. In other words, it gave me everything i was looking for - inhale and exhale thick vapor. got my nicotine, feels good in my hand.. I was a happy camper.

I recommend this because - Right now your body needs to detox from the chemical soup from the cigarettes. The Nicotine is the very least of your worries. Your body is addicted to hundreds of other cancer causing chemicals found in burning tobacco smoke. The difference between detoxing off of these and only having a straight e-cig nicotine withdrawal is night and day. Now for the next two weeks you will have it rough by detoxing from those. - The Faster you get those other addictive chemicals out of your system, the sooner you can have a good experience using the e-cig.

Generally folks who still need to smoke some cigs while using the e-cig will find they have a harder time making a complete switch because the other addictive chemicals in those cigs will help reinforce your bodies dependency on those chemicals. This is the really hard part of switching to e-cigs, Thats why I decided to fore-go the trouble and make sure I didn't have access to tobacco.

You said B&H but you didn't say what strength. Your 18 mg is roughly equal to a standard Light cigarette's nicotine content. Full strength is 24 mg. You may need a little stronger nicotine to help combat the cravings you will get - it does help even though your detoxing from hundreds of other chemicals.

I suggest if you have to smoke also, you make a plan that allows you to use the e-cig more often than smoking. Allow yourself the e-cig for more than half of your daily cigarette consumption. ( 10 cigs is half a pack so put aside 6 or 8 cigarettes for each day and use the e-cig the rest of the time) Do this and stick to it for say the first week, then for the second week, gradually cut down the cig amount while boosting the e-cig usage. The idea here is to lessen the amount of all those nasty chemicals so your body will start to get rid of them while boosting your bodies tolerance and familiarity with the e-cig.

Also keep in mind your body is used to warm dry smoke. When you start to use an e-cig, your lungs may balk at first because suddenly your giving it a cooler moister vapor to breath. This is what makes folks cough for the first week until the body adjusts to the difference between smoke and vaper.

Hope this helps, Best of Luck!

Free6413

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Spring, Texas
I smoked 2+PPD and started at 24 mg. this was perfect for me. There is no right or wrong way. The journey doesn't matter if you reach the destination! Do it at your pace and how you feel comfortable. There is a guy I know that will drag on a cig and then drag on his PV. Not sure why but it works for him. The variations are as numerous as there are people. Find what makes you happy and go with it! This should not be a race but a journey!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread