And thus it begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airbrusher

ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2010
Garden Grove, Ca.
I have started the part of dropping the analogs I have not been looking forward too.

Shall we bring our friend out on stage.... DETOX!!

Oh yes, I have been hacking up stuff that I can only call ectoplasm. At first it was barely coming up then Whamo!! say hello to the stuff that huants my lungs.
Next I have night sweats, this is actually been 2 nights but I expect a few more. My wife is not happy about this one, since she changes the sheets all the time.
I wake up at o'dark thirty now thinking I am getting the flu. Body aches, feverish, shivering. Advil helps.
deep hits on the 510 now send me into coughing fits, a post by Mistressnomad (Mistress may I have another...) cleared up why this was happening so hopefully it will end soon. Hot steamy showers now make me cough too.
Few other uncomfortable things but those are the mains...

Guess I just about listed fully what happens when you detox off cigs! Thank god I gave myself the week off.

AB

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
The good news is that it won't last forever and you'll feel so much better after having gone through it! It's so nice to be able to take a walk without getting winded after a block, run up the stairs without breaking a sweat and feeling like you're going to pass out, smell and taste things the way they really do smell and taste. Just keep going and vaping more. Pretty soon you won't have any interest in analogs.

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
The good news is that it won't last forever and you'll feel so much better after having gone through it! It's so nice to be able to take a walk without getting winded after a block, run up the stairs without breaking a sweat and feeling like you're going to pass out, smell and taste things the way they really do smell and taste. Just keep going and vaping more. Pretty soon you won't have any interest in analogs.

Wow... well said.

Sometimes I take for granted all the positive changes. These days are far healthier than days past.

pearlheartgtr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
NY
I guess I'm an oddball, since I never experienced any of that. I would be concerned that you've got other medical issues, if it weren't for the fact that none of the other responders seem to feel your experience is extreme.

Hang in there!

(carton/week - 35+ years)

I'm with you. I smoked a carton a week for a little over 20 years and felt none of the symptoms others tend to get when they make the switch. I only coughed things up while I was smoking.

No Brag

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Nebraska
Thanks for posting NCC & pearlheartgtr, I was starting to think there was something really wrong with me or that I still had some bad things to look forward to. It's been since the first of October and I haven't had any of the symptoms Airbrusher talked about either. It was a month before I realized that I had not coughed for a while. We'll see what happens now. The grandkids were here for Christmas and left me a cold. It just started this morning so we will see how that goes without analogs. Colds didn't bother me while I was smoking because I felt all plugged up all of the time and I coughed all the time anyway.:confused:

trouble2k

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2010
Billings, MT
No Brag,

Just in case, be prepared! I thought I was going to be one those lucky ones that didn't go through the infamous lung clearing until I caught the latest little bug last week. Oh my!! I didn't get all that sick, but I had stuff coming out that I hadn't seen since I started vaping. I tried to just let nature take its course, though. I don't know how much of it was symptoms of the bug and how much was years of smoking. I used my little vaporizer/steamer unit to keep things good and moist and just let everthing purge out as best I could. I figured if my body was trying to get rid of some of the old abuse, then let it happen.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Lightgeoduck

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
jp(APO)Camp Z us
People go through different experiences during the switch from smoke to vape. Some have no noticeable effects and some have them as extreme as yours.

I would like to make a couple of suggestions..

Stay aware of your changes (keep a log if you so desire)

Be attentive at the nicotine stength that you are using and the PG/VG mix ( share what you use to the members on this forum (if you haven't already) eliminating the possibilities of using too high of a nic level than you may need.. or the possibility of needing to use 100% VG since some have reported to be allergic to PG.

And MOST importantly if these symptoms seem to persist DON"T hesitate to SEEK advice from a Medical professional and get yourself checked.
EDIT: you also might be experiencing something that isn't vape related.

I am did not state this to alarm you or anyone reading, because we all know what it was like breaking the smoking monkey from our backs. I state this as a mere safety precaution, because even though ECF and forums of the like are an EXCELLENT source for information and support, one can not use this as a professional substitute when it comes to ones health. (We don't know your body) This is a good place to find if others have shared your experiences too and to be used as a guide.

With that being said... Congrats on the first step and I believe you should get a hang of it.. and reach the vape experience that you are looking for....

Welcome to ECF

LGD

Last edited:

Infernia

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2010
North Carolina
Have to agree with the 'duck' above. You know your body the best and if something isn't right get checked by a medical professional.
That said, I went through coughing all through the night and hacking up crap like a cat with a hairball. Sadly my nicotine addiction was only half cigarettes and the other half nicorette gum. I smoked about a pack a day and chewed the gum as well. I didn't think there would be so much crap in my lungs since I'd cut back so much using the gum. Not so.
Good luck and Congrats on your accomplishments thus far.
You could always volunteer to wash those sweaty sheets for her. :)

tdh

Aug 16, 2010
Muncie, IN, USA
Coughing up a lung during the first week without analogs is pretty common, especially for heavy smokers who never coughed while they were smoking. There are other things that can cause heavy coughing and phlegm, though, especially this time of the year. Most of them are significantly worse than "detox." If it doesn't ease up or your breathing doesn't improve soon, a trip to the doctor would probably be a good idea.

Hopefully the amount of tar that removes itself from your lungs won't be as shocking for you as it was for me.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
The good news is that it won't last forever........ smell and taste things the way they really do smell and taste......

There's good and bad to that statement. I never smelled how bad diesel smells when sitting behind one at a light on my bike AND if you had three dogs that you took out to do their business, you'd wish you were still smoking and you sense of smell wasn't so acute. :facepalm:

Airbrusher

ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2010
Garden Grove, Ca.
Thanks all, and thanks for moving this post. I didn't even see the health section or I would have put it here lol.

I know me and this is the isn't a bug. It hits me in the morning and at night. During the day I feel like my usual self. I have been thinking though that while my body is doing this it's working hard and when the bug does get into my area I might be more susceptible to getting it.

No worries Infernia, my wife already volunteered me ;) .

Info...

I started vaping at 36 MG because I was afraid to it wouldn't compete with my analogs... boy was I wrong. I smoked 36 mg for about 3 weeks then reduced to 26 mg about 6 days ago. I still use my vape like a pacifier, its never far and there is always a batt in the charger. I use my KR808d's when I am out for convenience but drip in my 510 at home. I have used about 7ml out of a 10 ml bottle in these 6 days at 26mg. I refilled my kr808 cartos with the same juice I drip in my 510.
I have been analog free 7 days now before that for the month or so of vaping I had 3 analogs.

AB

Ragamuffin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2010
US
Thank you for posting your symptoms here, as I am always interested in what others are experiencing. It never fails that I find something similar has happened to me, and I find out I'm not a weirdo after all.

I too went through several nights of sweating, and a few where I felt like I had the flu, shivering so bad I couldn't write or hold anything, like when you have a high fever and have to pop several aspirin.

Some good advice was given from others as well, like paying attention to the PG/VG content in your juice. I found that I can't have too much of the VG any longer, as it makes me short of breath, to the extent that I would have to stop when just walking into the building at work.

I've also experienced some bad, like emergency-room bad, nosebleeds lately. Keeping in mind that I grew up with these nosebleeds, I haven't had one that bad since I was a teenager. Now, my nose bleeds if I just strain to lift a heavy box or blow my nose. I honestly think the vaping is drying it out too much, but I don't know for sure. Not much else has changed except the vaping. Still have the same room, same climate and moisture levels, which are never enough for me.

I do hope you feel better soon. And I wouldn't hesitate to go to a doc either if you feel the need.

Lightgeoduck

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
jp(APO)Camp Z us
Thanks all, and thanks for moving this post. I didn't even see the health section or I would have put it here lol.

I know me and this is the isn't a bug. It hits me in the morning and at night. During the day I feel like my usual self. I have been thinking though that while my body is doing this it's working hard and when the bug does get into my area I might be more susceptible to getting it.

No worries Infernia, my wife already volunteered me ;) .

Info...

I started vaping at 36 MG because I was afraid to it wouldn't compete with my analogs... boy was I wrong. I smoked 36 mg for about 3 weeks then reduced to 26 mg about 6 days ago. I still use my vape like a pacifier, its never far and there is always a batt in the charger. I use my KR808d's when I am out for convenience but drip in my 510 at home. I have used about 7ml out of a 10 ml bottle in these 6 days at 26mg. I refilled my kr808 cartos with the same juice I drip in my 510.
I have been analog free 7 days now before that for the month or so of vaping I had 3 analogs.

AB

Another possibility... is that 26mg might be still a bit too high and since 7mL is lasting you 6days... you can afford to drop the nic level down a tad... and stil not increase your usage too much.. try cutting it down to maybe 18ish and see what that does for you... IF you still have some 36mg left you can cut it in half with 0nic PG and that will give you a 50/50 VG/PG as well if your juice is 100%vg (as I think you have stated that you wanted to try to change as well)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread