Status
Not open for further replies.

Dj Xy

I'm winning like Charlie
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
baltimore, maryland
Saw in the news today that Anne Arundal medical center currently bans smokeing and tobacco use on its grounds, including sidewalks, and garages.
This ban includes e-cigarettes, and applies to staff, patients, visitors, and venders.
Sarting July 1, 2014, they will stop hiring smokers, and tobacco users.

So what does everyone think of this.

Dj Xy

I'm winning like Charlie
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
baltimore, maryland
Refusing to employ someone for what they do in their own time is not just going too far, it's borderline discrimination. Unless they are breaking the rules at work, that's stepping into my private life just as much as if they said they wouldn't employ people living together without being married.

I agree, this is exactly what I was thinking when I read the news article.

Zurd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Montréal
We're starting to have the same problem here in Canada, I found this which is interesting:

"The only provincial or federal laws are human rights codes that prohibit employers from discriminating based on a disability. But the legislation does not identify smokers or people with any other medical conditions as disabled. And to date the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal has not ruled on whether smoking is a disability."
Can a company refuse to hire a smoker? | Toronto Star

disability or not, I still think it's a discrimination and I see it the same way as not hiring someone who eat apples or has a swimming pool at home, it goes against the charts of human rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread