Another Battery question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davo

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2009
Heart of Dixie
I recently got two new XL batts and they work fine, but I've noticed something odd about their charging. I thought at first it was only on the wall charger, but now I notice it also on the USB charger. I screw the batt into the charger, the LED on the tip of the batt blinks several times (as usual) and the LED on the charger goes RED -- all normal. Then I noticed quite by accident if I unscrew the fully charged batt and immediatly screw it back in it starts the charge process all over and the LED on the charger stays RED for abother 2 hours or so. With other batts I have, if they are fully charged and I connect them to the charger the charger LED simply stays blue for USB and green for the wall charger.

This is a way I used to check if the batts were charged, but with these newest ones you can't tell because they go into charge mode regardless.

Anyone else noticed this or have an explaination?

Davo

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2009
Heart of Dixie
Haven't had that issue, did have an auto that refused to charge on the usb (not really an issue since I only use them at my house when gaming and it works on the wall charger). Tried every battery I own to see if I could recreate your issue.

I do have a question, is it an auto our manual?

Auto, both purchased at the same time, less than a month ago.

Davo

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2009
Heart of Dixie
I'm trying to recreate this issue tonite. I'll let you know tomorrow. My guess is there is an issue with the charger or those batts.

Thanks guys ( Jen Jen too), I know there have been so many batt issues lately and I thought I'd escaped those issues. &):&"(; Crazy stuff. --- We'll figure this out!

JenJen

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2009
Sunny Arizona
Ok, I ordered 2 auto XLs maybe 3 months ago, then ordered 2 more about a month and a half ago - they are platinum single logo. I have two wall chargers and I put two of them on (even though I had charged them fully a few weeks ago) and they blinked and turned red. After about a half hour they turned green. I unscrewed them and then screwed them back on again and sure enough, they turned red. But they turned green again after only a few minutes. So I did the same with the other 2 batts and they also charged a while then turned green. I unscrewed and screwed them back in and they also turned red again. Only for a few minutes and then they turned green again. I don't use autos often, but when I do they appear to hold a charge as they should.

Maybe the extra longs turn red to verify if they need a charge and then turn green when it realizes it is fully charged? And if yours goes through a complete charging cycle instead of turning green after a few minutes, and doesn't hold a charge as long as it should perhaps that battery is bad?

I don't know, that is all I can come up with. Maybe someone else has ideas?

jamvector

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Wisconsin
Unfortunately, I don't know the charging algorithm used in the V4L chargers, but I suspect it is a logic issue. Here is a link to a technical note that addresses LiIon charging circuits in detail: http://www.microchip.com/stellent/gr...n/en028061.pdf. The battery has convinced the charger that it is fully charged causing the charger to cutoff charging current to the battery. This is accomplished in stage 4 on page two of the link, in that the battery current demand drops below the charger cutoff, charger monitors reduced charging current demand from the battery, switches out of charge mode and lights the "charge complete" indicator. After removal of the battery from the charger, the voltage will drop down from about 4.2V to somewhere around 3.8 - 4V, and this can vary between batteries and is a function of time (and of course use). When you plug it back in, if it is greater than 0.7C it will initiate the charging sequence again. You will notice on some battery / charger combinations that the light turns green, then later it is red again, which is indicative of the "toggling" between charging logic states - other battery / charger combinations may not do this. It is possible that your batteries are not producing the response expected by the charger's charging algorithm or that there is a subtle difference in these batteries and their interaction with the charging algorithm in the chargers that is exhibiting this phenomenon.

Davo

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2009
Heart of Dixie
It must be something to do with the charging "Al Gore rhythms" (LOL). I reattached the same new battery 3 times last night after a 2+ hour charge cycle and it would repeat the full cycle each time. This morning I put that same battery on the "newer" USB charger and it went back to BLUEisg RED condition, which usually indiactes it's in the final stages of a charge cycle. Weird!!

Update... after a few mor minutes on the USB charger it has now gone back to full charge (total RED LED).

Last edited:

Davo

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2009
Heart of Dixie
I was not able to duplicate this with the 2 autos I had at home last nite.

I will try with some newer batts later.

This is so weird, I can't believe no one else has batts performing like these 2. After paying close attention to the charging and performance of these all weekend, there really seems to be a problem with these batts. Besides the strange charging condition, when all indications are they're fully charged, they do not exibit the proper power being delivered to the carto AND do not last as expected for an XL bat. Performance starts poor and drops off rapidly and within less that 2 hours the LED is blinking indicating needing charging. I compared performance with a generic no label battery battery I purchased (from V4L) on 11-17-2010 and it outlasts both XLs combined and with better performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread